PDA

View Full Version : To MOD or not to MOD

shu5892001
06-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey guys, whether to mod my car or not has been driving me crazy over the past few days. I was planning to do some modding in the summer to make summer driving more enjoyable, I was planning on Injen CAI and Mangnaflow exhaust, and everythin was going smooth.... But just hours before i was going to pick up an intake I thought about insurance, and read so many post about how ppl had their insurance cancelled wen there was an accident. If Only I drive this car then i wouldnt be worryin cuz I'll jus drive carefully and if i get into shit i'll pay for my own mistake, but the thing is i live at downtown during sku times so i dont usually drive the car, i leave the car to my mom, and i am afraid she will get into shit if she had an accident.....I dont want to screw my mom over, so if u were me are u gonna mod it? or is there any solution to the problem so that i Could mod and not have to worrying about mom?

aris
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Ya i would mod it..

1.tint
2.rims
3.lower
4.black out tail lights
5.mild stereo

That's all i would do

bhrm
06-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Buy your own car. Mod that.

shu5892001
06-28-2009, 11:31 PM
well this is kind of like my own car, i paid alot for this car lol

aris
06-28-2009, 11:33 PM
ok so this is not your car?

shu5892001
06-28-2009, 11:35 PM
ok so this is not your car?

this is MY car is jus that i borrowed some money from my mom, but wen i live dt during sku times, my mom some times drive it

aris
06-28-2009, 11:36 PM
this is MY car is jus that i borrowed some money from my mom, but wen i live dt during sku times, my mom some times drive it

Gotcha..

omalak
06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
mod it drive it.. let your mom know..

just be a cautious driver..

i drive a modded car, my insurance doesnt know that i have mods..

when you mod you take the risk..

if you got into an accident or your mom it makes no diff..

just do it if you feel you are both competent drivers lol

shu5892001
06-28-2009, 11:38 PM
mod it drive it.. let your mom know..

just be a cautious driver..

i drive a modded car, my insurance doesnt know that i have mods..

when you mod you take the risk..

if you got into an accident or your mom it makes no diff..

just do it if you feel you are both competent drivers lol

I am... I am not sure if my mom is lol...

aris
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Just so you know before taking people addvise 3 years back my insurance company cancelled my policy for non disclousre cause my truck was lowered.

Word of advise talk to your broker and see how they feel about the mods you want to do.

shu5892001
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
yeah.. i leaning more towards performance mods like CAI, Exhaust, headers and stuff... i doubt they allow any of those stuff... BTW its statefarm.....

aris
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
yeah.. i leaning more towards performance mods like CAI, Exhaust, headers and stuff... i doubt they allow any of those stuff... BTW its statefarm.....

trust me those mods are a no no too all that was done to my truck too......never had state farm insurance but i here they are the worst for any kind of mods

shu5892001
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
ye i heard statefarms are very strict on mods... never knew modding a car can be such a pain in the ass lol, Thanks guys for all the advices!!

lightingwhite32008.5
06-29-2009, 12:01 AM
if u are going to mod it i suggest u set aside some ground rules eh! lolz

aris
06-29-2009, 12:13 AM
ye i heard statefarms are very strict on mods... never knew modding a car can be such a pain in the ass lol, Thanks guys for all the advices!!

Their a state farm right next door to my restuarant and he has told me that they don't want any mods...

Fuman
06-29-2009, 01:21 AM
If you want to making your car more enjoyable.
You can try racing beat springs. Not low enough for insurance to complain, but stuff enough to give you better handling.

As for intake/exhaust/stereo, sorry no experience with it.

Dave_The_BMXER
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
I have had 2 lowered cars with statefarm both had claims neither were rejected. Edit actually 3 including my 3.

However my truck had 2200 worth of audio equipment stolen, they were going to cover up to 1500 on it even though I didn't tell them but they wrote off the vehicle instead and after my deductible (500) I got 700 bucks.

shu5892001
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
o yea... will insurance cover if we mod our car with mazda dealer? let say we install a mazdaspeed CAI at a mazda dealer, will insurance cover me?

Cardinal Fang
06-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Everyone is going to have a different opinion about whether or not insurance or their own company will cover them when it comes to modifications. Bottom line despite what others may tell you you have to talk with your insurance company before going ahead.

Mazdaspeed products are covered under warranty but not necessarily under insurance. Have a look at this as an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23202
(http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22812)

shu5892001
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I heard if i get all the mods removed right after i get an accident i should be ok right? then how come not eveyone did this and still some ppl got dropped by insurance company?

Cardinal Fang
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
You heard from who? Who are these people that are giving you advice about what insurance companies will and won't do? Point is YOU need to call your insurance agent and ask them the question. Only they can give you the answer that matters. Everyone here as an opinion and a story about what has happened to them in the past. It's not a consistent approach by the insurance companies as you can tell.

You need to satisfy yourself that what YOU do, not what OTHERS do, is ok in the eyes of YOUR insurance company. Using the old excuse of "well Tom did it to his car therefore I should be ok, means nothing to your insurance company. By law you must disclose what you do to your car. In some policies it's actually written.

As a rule of thumb:

There are modifications which insurance companies do not worry about. Tints, add on lips or cosmetic improvements. They will allow you to do it but MAY NOT COVER in case of an accident. You will however NOT be dropped.

There are modifications which insurance companies DO worry about. These are performance modifications. It MAY NOT be covered and YOU could be dropped.

Talk to your agent.

aris
06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Talk to your agent.

+1

aberg83
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Do it!