PDA

View Full Version : New High Output Alternator

notoriousb
07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
You guys seen this??

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hioualma3ma5.html

Last HO alternator I saw was $600+

This falls into my price range for only $322.

Has anyone else tried this alternator?

hood
07-06-2009, 07:53 AM
would this do anything preformance wise?

Flagrum_3
07-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Looks interesting and probably cheaper then an oem alternator...Hood there's a slight chance that with a higher 'steadier current', there could be a slight improvement in performance, but I think this is more for those that have a mega system in their vehicle....nevertheless couldn't hurt.

Notoriousb are you planning on getting this unit? If so let us know the details on how it turns out!....this is one upgrade I have been contemplating for awhile...thanks.

_3

coyote
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
You could probably get more than $40 for your old one at a used alternator place or junkyard.

notoriousb
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I think if anything it will degrade performance of the motor, if it takes more energy to rotate the pulley... none the less our alternator sucks, and my system keeps dipping well below 12 V, i'd like to have one that keeps it at least 14 V all the time.

How much can I sell the alternator for? I also have a starter? I think $400 USD + duties (the said they'd value it at $100), minus what I can sell those both for...

I'm willing to spend $300 CAD total, so I dunno if I should wait till the dollar is higher.

Hives
07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I came across this before. Not sure if its any good. There is a place in Brampton that would rebuild your old alternator and get more juice out of it. My old neighbour got his done on his Impala. I forgot the name of the place though, it was years ago.

notoriousb
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I've been to the two alternator/starter shops here in Brampton, there's one on advanced/strathern or something and other was somewhere off dixie.

No one would do it for me, because our alternators have a regulator on them.

Only a few people make HO alternators for our car, and this is the cheapest I've seen.

Another place was

http://www.h-o-alternators.com/

they sell their 200A model for $600 + .

For normal domestic cars, HO alternators can be as low as $200.