PDA

View Full Version : How-to: 2004-2009 European-spec oil cooler

TheMAN
07-23-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.protegefaq.net/BKoilcooler/

http://www.protegefaq.net/BKoilcooler/installed.jpg

This is a factory Modine water cooled oil cooler. This oil cooler comes on all L3-VDT engines (CX-7/MazdaSpeed3/MazdaSpeed6) as well as all the Mazda5's L3-VE in the US and Canada. When Mazda entered the Mexican market in 2007, they decided to equip the Mexican-spec manual transmisison non-turbo 3s with the same oil cooler due to Mexico's hot weather. Not surprisingly, Mazda also equipped the European version (also manual tranmission only) with one also when the minor change occured in late 2006 more than likely due to engine problems found in the 2004-2006 3s lacking an oil cooler because of high speed driving in Europe. Of course, Mazda didn't leave out the Middle East also and so Israeli and GCC versions also got an oil cooler with the minor change updates in the 3 (also manual transmission only). I have no idea why only the manual transmission models got the oil cooler but not the autos, perhaps Mazda believed people would drive a manual harder than an automatic.

Just speeding on the highway is enough to get the oil temperatures to 110+ degrees (typically since I don't have a oil temp gauge), which is not good for the oil and decreases oil life. Installation of this oil cooler brought the temperatures down to about 85 degrees at the oil filter after driving around for 40 mins (in about 28 degrees ambient temp) and pulling into my driveway. Regardless of numbers, the oil filter is no longer scalding to touch after the engine is warmed up on the driveway. I can now touch it without instantly burning myself!

Used with synthetic oil, I hope this oil cooler will increase the longevity of the engine and also the durability of the oil.

Since my car is an auto, I wrote this how-to with only pics of that. But I am working on getting pics from a manual, so please hang tight! The how-to also converts your oil filter to a spin-on in the process if you haven't done so. You can still choose to retain the cartridge BS if you somehow love it.

Gizzmo_jr
07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
uuhh I wanted to do that but OEM price of that cooler is RIDICULOUS! ($400+ seriously). And was unable to hunt down a wreaked parted out MS3/MS6 for it. It's originally a Cosworth part to, but there hard to come by as well.

TheMAN
07-24-2009, 12:37 AM
yeah, I scored one off a blown ms6 motor :D
I was like **** THAT! when I saw how much it was new

also whats more crazy is, the gasket isn't replaceable, so if you screw it up, you replace the WHOLE thing

the "cosworth" oil cooler is nothing more than a Ford Escape oil cooler... cosworth just happens so to resell it as a courtesy for racers, but that oil cooler won't go in right in the 3... the 2 water nipples go in straight rather than one pointed downwards like the true factory part does, so you'll have to do lots of thinking to get it to hook up!

now the kicker of it all? the Escape/Tribute oil cooler is more than half the price of the correct oil cooler! that's just insane!

anyway, like I said.... you don't have to look for a ms6/ms3 for this part... you can look for a 5 or a cx7 for it... they use this also.... I'd try that first before even resorting to making a Tribute/Escape one to work

TheMAN
07-24-2009, 01:12 AM
OMG! I figured it out!

you can use the hose from a 2009+ Mexican-spec 2.5l Mazda6 to let you hook up the Tribute/Escape oil cooler since the new 6 uses the same thing! this allows you to save a LOT of money and have an oil cooler that's cleanly installed!

so substitute these parts:
LFD7-14-700 for LF02-14-700
LFD7-15-54YD for L531-15-54YA
LFF7-15-53XA for L531-15-530B (automatics only)

installation is exactly the same

if you really want to save even more money with mexican made parts, here's the mazda to ford part number crossover:
L311-14-311 --> 3S7Z-6881-AA oil filter mount
LF02-14-700 --> 1S7Z-6A642-AAA oil cooler
LF01-14-342 --> 1S7Z-6840-AA gasket
9XG0-64-877L --> W706487-S437 bolt
all 4 of these stock FORD parts come in the cosworth kit

TheMAN
07-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I updated the how-to to include the Mazda6 since the differences aren't that big as far as the oil filter stuff goes

MAZDA Kitten
07-25-2009, 08:34 AM
This is awesome. Thanks so much for the info. This is going on the TO DO list

TheMAN
07-25-2009, 11:24 PM
ok, thanks to flipdaddy, I've now updated it with 2010 mazda3 part numbers :D

wantboost
09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
how much will it cost me, going with either option.. I have an atx

Noisy Crow
09-25-2010, 06:52 PM
The Cosworth webside still lists a Duratec oil cooler, under a different p/n:
http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=23&idproduct=353

The cooler itself looks the same, but I can't tell from the pic if the filter mount is the same... it appears to be taller in the pic, but I am not sure.......

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Noisy Crow
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I picked up a the Cosworth version from a UK website:
http://www.part-box.com/cosworth-modeen-oil-cooler-p-20054.html

£43.36 including shipping to Canada -- about $70 Cdn.

Sure beats the $158 + ~$40 shipping from Cosworth USA and the $170 + ~$45 shipping from Street Unit

Now I just have to round up some hoses.........

TheMAN
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
buy the mazda hoses as mentioned earlier in this thread and you can make it work! use those as substitutions over the ones listed in the how-to
don't forget to pick up some FL22 from joe ;)

Noisy Crow
10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
buy the mazda hoses as mentioned earlier in this thread and you can make it work! use those as substitutions over the ones listed in the how-to
don't forget to pick up some FL22 from joe ;)

Yup, that's what I'm going to do! Thanks for the excellent write up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMAN
10-02-2010, 12:51 AM
feel free to post some pics of your own too... always love to see people doing meaningful mods to their cars :)

RedRaptor
12-18-2010, 03:53 AM
Just stumbled upon this. So where can I get all the parts required for this mod? Also, which GTA garage can do install this for me?

qwerty66
12-18-2010, 11:08 PM
how is this done with a manual transmission?
what are the parts needed for a 2009 2.3 litre?

Noisy Crow
12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
The part I got from UK didn't include the adapter plate (still a good price for the cooler) so I had to also get an adapter separately. Cosworth USA still sells the entire kit:

This is the one with straight fittings, so you need either a hose with a bend or an elbow fitting.

Still have to round up the hoses, but can probably get those from a Mazda dealership, or from a scrap yard. The cooler will go on the car in the spring for sure... right now it is hanging out in the garage with my exhaust system :(

I am sure Jimmy can put it on for you... probably an hour or so of labour if you have all the right parts.

Blue_Jinnee
12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I have an 07 automatic, I a happen to damage my stock oil cooler...now am looking all over the gta, can't find this part ...it's a pain ... also it costs $360 from the dealer! wtf?

RedRaptor
12-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I have an 07 automatic, I a happen to damage my stock oil cooler...now am looking all over the gta, can't find this part ...it's a pain ... also it costs $360 from the dealer! wtf?

How did you damage a the oil cooler?

$360 is a lot of $$$. Does Cosworth make the OEM Mazda stock cooler? Just trying to find out how many versions of this oil coller, there are.

Blue_Jinnee
12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
During the first snow storm I hit a car stopper (fell off a construction truck - I think) damaged the Rad-Fan and the Oil-Cooler, part number (FNK3199F0A) - I googled the part number it was for $266.77 + shipping (2weeks) ....Still looking for a used one.

Blue_Jinnee
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok, so I was able to find a used oil cooler for 120 from JDM parts in north york. I can drive my car now :)

TheMAN
12-22-2010, 09:51 PM
How did you damage a the oil cooler?

$360 is a lot of $$$. Does Cosworth make the OEM Mazda stock cooler? Just trying to find out how many versions of this oil coller, there are.

Modine made the oil coolers... Cosworth did not make them and the "Cosworth" coolers are the exact same thing as on the MS6/Tribute/Escape
Mazda now changed suppliers and the gasket is now replaceable. I don't know who makes them and I haven't seen one yet. I've updated the how-to with the updated parts list

TheMAN
12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
The part I got from UK didn't include the adapter plate (still a good price for the cooler) so I had to also get an adapter separately. Cosworth USA still sells the entire kit:

This is the one with straight fittings, so you need either a hose with a bend or an elbow fitting.

Still have to round up the hoses, but can probably get those from a Mazda dealership, or from a scrap yard. The cooler will go on the car in the spring for sure... right now it is hanging out in the garage with my exhaust system :(

I am sure Jimmy can put it on for you... probably an hour or so of labour if you have all the right parts.

you're going to have a hard time finding the hoses yourself... they only exist on the Mexican spec 6... so the only way you are going to get the proper hoses is from the dealer (you might as well do it now as availability maybe a problem)
if I were you, I'd get the proper hoses instead of using generic hoses that looks like a total hack job (seen plenty of pics from people who installed this "Cosworth" cooler and it looks so ugly!)

Noisy Crow
12-26-2010, 12:47 PM
you're going to have a hard time finding the hoses yourself... they only exist on the Mexican spec 6... so the only way you are going to get the proper hoses is from the dealer (you might as well do it now as availability maybe a problem)
if I were you, I'd get the proper hoses instead of using generic hoses that looks like a total hack job (seen plenty of pics from people who installed this "Cosworth" cooler and it looks so ugly!)

Agree, it can look like a real hack job if not done with the proper parts. I'm going to see if I can get a Mexican 6 hose from Mexico... I only know one guy with connections there, but that might be enough....... otherwise I'm going to have to go the dealer route.

TheMAN
12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
You don't need to go to Mexico to get the parts. The North American parts system is unified. You can order Mexican parts in Canada. It might take a long time, that's all

RedRaptor
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Edwin,

I have a question regarding the instructions of draining the coolant. Is that the same procedure as a drain & fill? The reason why I am asking is, 1st gen didn't come with FL22 coolant so for some of us, we can't simply add FL22 into existing coolant as they aren't compatable.

TheMAN
08-30-2012, 03:06 AM
yup, exact same
if you want the same green non-FL22 coolant in the car, you can't buy it at canadian mazda dealers, only american ones... luckily, I did some research and found out that subaru's regular green coolant is the exact same stuff mazda used, so head down to subaru and buy a gallon and you're set! :D

RedRaptor
08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks Edwin.

So for the 04-06 Mazda3s which didn't have FL22 prefilled from factory, they will have to continue to use the regular Mazda OEM coolant (gold bottle) for coolant drain/fill portion of this install.

Is it worthwhile for 04-06 owners to get a complete flush and switch/refill with FL22?

TheMAN
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
no, not worth it
just go to subaru and buy their coolant if you're picky about the colour :)
I heard it works better than that piss yellow mazda coolant anyway... I don't know because I've been using the subaru coolant in mine (I have a huge stash of them here :chuckle)