PDA

View Full Version : Mazda3 Cup Holder Replacement

Carnage
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to replace the cup holder in the Mazda3?

Due to spilling coffee in it while driving on many occasions it has become pretty gross. I pulled it out to see what I can do but even the padding on the bottom that I'm assuming is there for grip is ruined.

Is there a way for me to just buy a new piece for the cup holder and replace it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

SpeedBaby
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
the centre front cupholders are one-piece part going from the centre console storage compartment to the ashtray. you can replace yourself if you know how to operate a screw-driver.

Carnage
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I've already taken it out and everything I understand it is replaceable.
I'm more so just wondering where can I get a new cup holder that's OEM?
Possibly new would be nice.

SpeedBaby
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
have you tried any mazda dealer?

S.F.W.
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
here you go, $40:http://www.emotors.ca/used/parts/1506.aspx

Noisy Crow
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
If you to to Michaels you can buy think sheets of dense foam rubber. So unless you somehow have really corrosive coffee you should be able to clean up the the cupholder you have and put in the foam bits for a whole lot less that buying a replacement. (You might also want a bit of weather stripping as well to replace the foam bumpers that keep the lid from whacking against the innards when it opens.)

cwp_sedan
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
If you to to Michaels you can buy think sheets of dense foam rubber. So unless you somehow have really corrosive coffee you should be able to clean up the the cupholder you have and put in the foam bits for a whole lot less that buying a replacement. (You might also want a bit of weather stripping as well to replace the foam bumpers that keep the lid from whacking against the innards when it opens.)

+1 of the foam. Most people use it for crafts (reason why it is found at Michaels). Or just that non-slip stuff you can find at the Dollar store that sometimes people put on their dash.

Gizzmo_jr
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
It's stupid easy to clean. The spring clip to flip the door is easy to take off and the whole thing can be disassembled for cleaning.
Damn ice cap's get gummy at the bottom :P

Carnage
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Ah thank you all so much!
Seriously good advice you all know your stuff.
Greatly appreciated thanks again!
I'll let you know how it turns out =)

Jeff-TheBiz
07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I use to put it through the dish washer... lightest cycle on the top rack.

Comes out nice and clean.

bhadreshl
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Go to the local junk yard. $10. I got one just recently.

Darkfrosty7
08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Go to the local junk yard. $10. I got one just recently.

seriously 10? i thought they'd be like 5

bhadreshl
08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Well, this was in a good condition, so I didn't mind paying, plus he was asking $20.

Actually, I went to another junk yard and the guy wanted $100 since it's part of the centre console.
I just turned around and left.

So after that, paying the $10 seemed like a steal!

JashiK
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
$100 WTH..........................

$10 isn't much. Not worth stressing over $5.

Ex-Rolla
08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Take the part out and soak it in water for a while with a light cleaning solution (i've used fantastic, spray nine and dish soap). Come out brand new.

in terms of the rubber stopper things, weather stripping would be a good choice as it doesn't absorb water so you don't have to worry about coffee getting absorbed and sticking to the lid again.

Venom
03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I just used the dishwasher and it worked well. thanks