PDA

View Full Version : Rusted rotors

DEBsM3
08-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Newbie here.

Thinking of buying a 2004 Mazda 3 GT and the rotors are rusted..mostly around the edges.........is this a bad sign..that I shouldn't buy the car..it has 93,000 kms on it...would it still pass a safety? It is a Alberta car.

Thanks
DEB

aris
08-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Once the car drives it should clear up..nothing to worrie about

McGuyver_3
08-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Newbie here.

Thinking of buying a 2004 Mazda 3 GT and the rotors are rusted..mostly around the edges.........is this a bad sign..that I shouldn't buy the car..it has 93,000 kms on it...would it still pass a safety? It is a Alberta car.

Thanks
DEB

The rust is nothing to worry about but if you want to know if they will pass safety you will need to get a vernier and measure the thickness of the rotor. somewhere on the rotor it should state minnimum thickness in mm and that will tell you if it will pas or not according to your measurement from the vernier

MAZDA Kitten
08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
This is perfectly normal. Happens 2 seconds after rain or if you wash the car

Gizzmo_jr
08-02-2009, 10:57 AM
If its the outside edge (where pad doesn't touch), it's perfectly normal. Like people mentioned, if it's on the face of the rotor, it will wear away first couple times you press on the brakes.

DEBsM3
08-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Ya..it wasn't the flat surface of the rotor..cause I know it will wear off...yes the edge around the rotor................................it just does not look nice..that's all..........................

.......Thank you to all of you

DEB

Darkfrosty7
08-02-2009, 06:44 PM
This is perfectly normal. Happens 2 seconds after rain or if you wash the car

yup 1+ just drive for like 5 mins and check again (use the brakes)

pinoy_eh
08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Rust on the edges is fine. I have those rust on all 4 corners of my 2006. For 193k kms. on the car, considering that the have not been replaced, ask the dealer or seller to replace everything, just to be on the safe side.

JSI
08-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Depends how bad, I just had Westone Mazda put new rotors on all four corners before I took my car how because before buying the car I had an independent mechanic do an inspection and he said the rotors were rusted too badly. Westowne did the work without any problem and free of charge.
They looked ok before to me, but what do I know. My advice get a mechanic to look at it first.

Jeremy

mazdabetty
08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I've seen people actually spray paint the part that stays rusted after driving... (of course where the pad doesn't touch)... my bf painted his silver and it's held up pretty good, can't even tell it's been painted at first glance!