PDA

View Full Version : CPE/Cobb/Other flashed ECU's... Mazda voiding warranties

Unoriginalusername
08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Seems like Mazda has started checking the ECU for modifications which aren't currently hidden by the AP maps and are voiding warranties as such FYI. Any flash that uses a similar process would be at risk

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61054\

Yea, that is actually old news. You can see the MDM hash date. If Cobb moved their firmware hash update information to a part of the ECU that stores the MILs, then they would never know. A GM tuner does this and GM cant tell a ECU has been flashed. I told Christian to do this last year but no one listened.

Garu
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Here it goes.

Fobio
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
someone from Mazda told me they'd frown upon this.

from what I gather on Cobb's thread (wish they'd speak up soon), that dude reflashed to a stock-style map, which isn't the same as unmarrying the AP.

spd frk
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Meh, with all my mods and 42,000KM a year going onto my car the warranty will be voided by this time next year anyways so I am not really worried. If something breaks that is a good excuse to get something aftermarket to replace it.

J

Fobio
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Meh, with all my mods and 42,000KM a year going onto my car the warranty will be voided by this time next year anyways so I am not really worried. If something breaks that is a good excuse to get something aftermarket to replace it.

J

'atta boy!

tho now with LC and FFS, it think it's even more motivation to take better care of the car...

3DEE
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM

J

Yea, but your powertrain warranty is 5 years 100 k's. Which is motor and tranny. But I see you're already modded so who cares eh? lol

mleblond
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
new engine is 12k, good luck with that!

spd frk
08-05-2009, 08:18 PM
If I blow the engine then I have the opportunity to get a built block. Or else upgrade to something else. Blowing the motor doesn't keep me up at night, I am not really going to mod beyond where I am now, so I feel I am within the tolerances.

I won't go crazy with FMIC, Manifold, upgraded turbo or any of that stuff.

Datalogging shows I have strong fuel pressure, no knock, and nice AFR's all the time.

J

Fobio
08-05-2009, 09:34 PM
back on topic...this isn't about blown engines.

the guy finally responded...he didn't and has never unmarried the AP.

mleblond
08-05-2009, 11:30 PM
lol blown engines is what the speed is all about. And these engines knock stock so if you got the remedy, post up!

The fact is the dude was an idiot and didn't unmarry his car. Guess he's 12k under....

Fobio
08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
The fact is the dude was an idiot and didn't unmarry his car. Guess he's 12k under....

he said they didn't "void" his warranty on the spot, but likely blacklisted. he also paid them to clear the engine light...pure newb sauce...

good info to have, but like I said, if you don't give them a reason to look, I doubt they're chk'ing every MS3 coming for service...

oops...did I say that out loud?

sadd16
10-25-2009, 10:57 AM
well, if u have cobb tuning, you can always unmarry it from the access port before taking it into servicing and then reflashing it after u get it back.