PDA

View Full Version : Brakes feel very un-responsive

Krazy
08-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Yesterday going off DVP.. cars slowed down.. and i had to slam on my to stop in time. (it was feeling normal) then I worked... and came home.

But next day... i dont' know why..
it could be just all up in my head.. but feel like I need to press on the brakes harder than usual.

about half way pushed down... i barely break.

is this normal?

I remember someone else posting how their brake isn't as sensitive as they expected. Let me know if I should be concerned!

I have 2010 Mazda 3 GS Auto.

mazdabetty
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
hmm sometimes I feel the same thing, but my brakes have been replaced with aftermarket ones so I figured that was the reason.... I think there was a thread just recently with another 2010 owner with the same problem as you... (or maybe I imagined it... I don't know now.. haha)

Fuman
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
depending on your mileage, you can still warranty on the brakes, go back asap to see if it is covered

TheMAN
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
something is wrong with either the brake pads or there is air in the brake lines... probably a brake fluid flush will fix it... but definitely get it checked ASAP, this is dangerous and NOT normal

Fuman
08-11-2009, 09:00 PM
something is wrong with either the brake pads or there is air in the brake lines... probably a brake fluid flush will fix it... but definitely get it checked ASAP, this is dangerous and NOT normal
If it is air, then there should be another underlying cause since his car is a 2010

Zoom Zoom Boy
08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Not normal. The brakes on the 3's are acually very sensitive. I agree that it sounds like air in the brake line to me. Hopefully there isn't some sort of underlying issue on the new 2010's.

Krazy
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
yeah i think there's something wrong with it...

for me to start feeling brake... halfway down.. is not normal.

I will give it a go in the morning... make some calls.. and see which dealership can take a look at it ASAP. i don't feel like waiting around for brake issues.

Krazy
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
From http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/ss/ts_brakes.htm

Brake Pedal Goes Too Far Down to Stop. If you step on the brake pedal and it feels like it's going too far down before you start to slow, you might have the following problems:

•Low Brake Fluid Level: Check your brake fluid. If it's low, top it off to the mark on the side of the reservoir.
•Contaminated Brake Fluid: Even though your brakes operate in a closed system, contaminants can still work there way into the works. Air can enter the system through the smallest hole, and you can end up with water in the system from condensation and other means. There's not really any way to check for this, but bleeding your brakes will remove the bad stuff and replace it with new fluid.
•Worn Brake Pads: Your brakes should never wear low enough to cause your brake pedal to feel low, they'll scream at you before then. But if they do get very low, you might have this problem. Replace your brake pads as soon as possible. Of course, this can be avoided with regular brake inspection.
•Bad Brake Power Boost Unit Finally, if your brake booster goes bad you'll have low brake pedal issues. Most brake boosters are vacuum controlled, so a special vacuum measurement device that connects to the brake booster is needed to check it. If it's bad, you'll have to replace the boost unit.

chinsterr
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM

+1

Esp. on the highway ... not good at all.

Krazy
08-13-2009, 08:03 AM
getting it checked out today at 4pm.

Normal driving isn't too affected... but on the highway.. if cars come to full stop... i get so scared im gonna hit the person in front. And when i come to a stop... my brakes are pushed all the way down. Probably like 1-2cm off from the furthest it can go.

Hopefully it's just low brake fluid... but shouldn't the dealer have checked those before they let me off with my car? I thought we pay some money for them to check the car and clean it and what-not.

Well.. Im thinking about this because.. my car when i picked up... stickers were all on the handles (interior) and tires had plastic bags (blueis between tire and rim) and top had some leftover stickiness probably left there when they peeled something off.

Maybe I should ask them to check all fluids today.

mazda lover
08-13-2009, 11:18 PM

Normal driving isn't too affected... but on the highway.. if cars come to full stop... i get so scared im gonna hit the person in front. And when i come to a stop... my brakes are pushed all the way down. Probably like 1-2cm off from the furthest it can go.

Hopefully it's just low brake fluid... but shouldn't the dealer have checked those before they let me off with my car? I thought we pay some money for them to check the car and clean it and what-not.

Well.. Im thinking about this because.. my car when i picked up... stickers were all on the handles (interior) and tires had plastic bags (blueis between tire and rim) and top had some leftover stickiness probably left there when they peeled something off.

can you not check the fluid yourself?

colinchrisc
08-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Hey I know it's been a while but did you ever get this brake problem fixed? I'm getting the same problem. New pads and rotors but braked are some unresponsive...?

Donutz
08-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Did you bed the brakes?

colinchrisc
08-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Did you bed the brakes?

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with bedding the brakes. I'll do some research.

Krazy
08-26-2010, 11:39 PM
What I did was... I test drove another 2010 Mazda 3.. same model.
It felt similar to my car.. so I just guessed it's just ME that suddenly feels the brakes are not as responsive as before.

You should do the same.

6strings
11-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Bring this thread back.
Having similar issues with my brakes.
Problem: Brakes feel spongy, and don't work as well.

Took it in to get the lines bled, put new fluid, issue remained.
Changed master cylinder, bled the lines, and new fluid, issue yet remains.
Pads, rotors and all components are in good shape. There is no leak in any of the line or any points.
Next step is for me to replace my abs module and reprogram it....
Anyone one else experience this?

baymoe
11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Bring this thread back.

Pads, rotors and all components are in good shape. There is no leak in any of the line or any points.

That sounds like a damn near complete overhaul of the system. Go and bed in your brakes in a safe area. I've had a similar issue when I first replaced my rotors and pads.

Kiyomi
11-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Bring this thread back.

put on braided lines. fixed.

6strings
11-24-2012, 02:20 PM
LOL a silly question, but isn't that overkill for just a regular vehicle for street use?
Anyways, after all the hassle and troubleshooting, it turns out to be an incompetent mechanic. I took it to a dealership and they solved the issue with a new master cylinder. Should have gone there first, would have saved me some coin and headaches.
Thanks guys.

Kiyomi
11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
LOL a silly question, but isn't that overkill for just a regular vehicle for street use?
Anyways, after all the hassle and troubleshooting, it turns out to be an incompetent mechanic. I took it to a dealership and they solved the issue with a new master cylinder. Should have gone there first, would have saved me some coin and headaches.
Thanks guys.

actually no. its too bad that not all vehicles on the road have them. makes things much more responsive and safer imo. congrats on the fix.

Derek13
11-25-2012, 09:41 AM
I recently noticed my brakes were starting to feel a little weaker than usual, so I inspected them when I put on my winters yesterday. My fronts are in great shape but my rears are at the 2 maybe 3 mm level. I already have 72000 on my 2010 so the wear timing sounds about right. Ordered some HKS pads and Stop tech rotors, in the spring I'm going to get the fronts and stainless brakelines. Pumped to see how well they work.

gotak
11-29-2012, 01:13 AM
actually no. its too bad that not all vehicles on the road have them. makes things much more responsive and safer imo. congrats on the fix.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/brake_FAQ.htm

Braided SS brake lines are not safer all the time. They require more maintenance because there can be more to go wrong with them. So for the don't even know what oil viscosity their car use types the stock rubber lines are much safer.

Cab0oze
11-29-2012, 07:23 AM

LOL SS lines aren't going to fix anything!! The stockers are just fine (otherwise they wouldn't have put them one) unless you're really driving REALLY hard and heating things up a lot.... in that case yes, SS will help you out.

Something else to keep in mind - when it gets cold and wet, some people's pads may not be as effective and there may be a 1-2 second delay before they dry off/heat up and get up to normal braking capability. Especially something to keep in mind for people driving on the highway with aftermarket pads designed for racing and not for street use.

Kiyomi
11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
LOL SS lines aren't going to fix anything!! The stockers are just fine (otherwise they wouldn't have put them one) unless you're really driving REALLY hard and heating things up a lot.... in that case yes, SS will help you out.

Something else to keep in mind - when it gets cold and wet, some people's pads may not be as effective and there may be a 1-2 second delay before they dry off/heat up and get up to normal braking capability. Especially something to keep in mind for people driving on the highway with aftermarket pads designed for racing and not for street use.

the thread is about un-responsive brakes. in this case, it seemed like loss of brake pressure or air in the lines. however, your telling me that ss lines wont make braking more responsive? and yes they are more for racing applications, but it doesnt mean that benefits cant be found on the daily drive. as for gotak, wtf, i cant even understand ur last sentence...

Cab0oze
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
however, your telling me that ss lines wont make braking more responsive? Exactly... its not like mazda (or any manufacturer) would put rubber lines on their cars that weren't qualified to handle the pressure (i.e. its not like that pressing the brake pedal is going to cause them to swell at all under normal useage). Now, I'm not going to debate that there is a very strong possibility that they weaken and swell when they get hot under frequent heavy braking, and that is where SS lines would probably shine.

Air in the lines or some other issue is a possibility (although unlikely as well, since no air should have been introduced). Could also be a problem with the calipers (i.e. seizing pistons, or slider pins), although I would be very surprised considering the OP has a 2010. Also, re-skimming the thread, it looks like he's already got a good idea of all of the possibilities.