PDA

View Full Version : Vibration when braking at high speed

bashmohandes
09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I usually get vibration at the steering wheel when i brake at speeds of 100 or higher. I tried replacing the pads with no change.
My next step will be replacing the rotors.

Did any one have a simillar experience??? if so, what was the fix????
Will i have to change the bearings as well???

Thanks,

cwp_sedan
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
It's probably either the rotors, alignment or tire balancing issue

froggy
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
this issue has been around the forum a bit, with as many answers as there are people. I think the consensus is that it's "warped" rotors. I put warped in quotations because to some they say that it's not possible. What's actually happening is that the brake pads were not seated properly. To put it a different way they weren't broken in properly. The "warping" is uneven brake pad material deposited and baked onto the pads. example: new pads and you've just had to do an emergency stop from high speeds to a complete stop and then sit at a red light for a couple of minutes with your brakes on. so all this heat is "welding" this layer of brake material onto that one spot in the rotor causing a high spot. that's where your "warping" happens.
Other people believe that if you've braked hard and your brakes are hot and you run into a puddle or something the cold water hitting the hot metal will cause it to warp.

If you believe the first option try resurfacing your discs (if they are thick enough) and pads. There was a thread on here about how to properly seat your pads. and follow that procedure and you should be fine. If you believe you have vibration because they are actually warped you'll have to get new rotors. I personally believe its the first option that's actually happening after having gone through that issue a couple of times but i'm not driving/paying for your car/maintenance.

Karen Lee-McNair
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Vibration in the steering wheel while braking is usually due to the rotors, if you are close to the east end or willing to make the trek, I can measure the runout on your rotors

Default User
09-11-2009, 08:40 PM
before you go around spending money for what "might" be the problem - get it checked properly.

Same thing happened to my 4Runner - changed brake pads, rotors, did the tire rotation, alignment...just to find out the Rack and Pinion was going on me.

Only cost me about $500 in unnecessary replacement parts :(

ST3ALTH
09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
For me it was my rotors. Replaced them and the vibration went away. But i have to say it was so hard to take off my rotors!! they were so warped the would not come off. lol

joghia
09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
It's probably either the rotors, alignment or tire balancing issue

x2

Mafty
09-12-2009, 09:41 AM
im having the same issue except my car is only a year old.........my brakes and rotors shouldnt be going at a year?

cwp_sedan
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
im having the same issue except my car is only a year old.........my brakes and rotors shouldnt be going at a year?

Well it all depends. If you have slammed on your brakes even a couple of times, it could have been enough to warp the rotors a little, especially in the rain or snow. The pads won't be the problem.

Problem is Mazda won't help you at all unless it's under a year so you'll have to change them most likely out of your own pocket.

mazdas3sporte
09-12-2009, 12:24 PM
i have the same issue, breaks vibrate at all times but especially noticeable between 80-120 km/h, u can feel it pulsate or shake a tiny bit,

froggy
09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm telling you all, if this was really warping they'd be having recalls left right and centre with this issue, I doubt they'd try to get away with something involved with the braking system. unless there is something else wrong along the suspension line it's most likely improper pad seating. when I've got more time I'll have to search/find/post/link that thread here.

trademark83
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
got same problem..going to get it checked out on next service, see u soon karen.

kjb86
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
strange... I came on here to find a post about this and it was right at the top lol

I've recently noticed my vibrating and I know it isn't the tires or a balancing issue since the tires are brand new.

I have had my car just over a year, and I'm at about 55,000kms and I've really started to notice it lately.

Scottobot
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I think if it's happening all the time your tires are out of balance. If it happens only when you're braking, likely a rotor issue.

JashiK
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
sounds like your rotors could be warped...