PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to lower your car?

Default User
09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
I've been trying to get this info for some time now from various tuners, techies and mechanics. But I keep getting the run-around or the "should-be-ok" answer.

What is the proper way to lower a vehicle without risk of blowing wheel bearings, hubs, etc.?

I went through 6 wheel bearings with my last car when I modestly lowered it with H&R sports with KYB dampers. Even after alignments right after the install.

Thanks in Advance

The car is 05 Mazda 3 HB

yearoftherat
09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Just curious what was your previous car?

I've yet to hear of anyone needing to replace bearings on a mazda3 b/c their car was lowered. Most people will also install a camber kit on the back to correct the rear end as well as do an alignment too.

Default User
09-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Last car was MK3 VW Golf
keep in mind that the car was beaten through T-dots potholes and the notorious WB 401/Yonge overpass daily.

But still - bearings aren't cheap

MAZDA Kitten
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
^ Ha. Had an MK3 too. Went through about 10 oil pans, 100's of O2 sensors and wheel bearings were my friend.

I had my 3 lowered on S Tech's for almost 200,000km now, 4 winters (going on 5th)... still on stock shocks. Only had to replace inner tie rod from wear & tear.

TheMAN
09-28-2009, 10:17 PM
lowering the car "wrong" doesn't break wheel bearings.... wrong wheels do

Default User
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM

They were OEM wheels on the car and the car wasn't aggresively lowered

dentinger
09-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Last car was MK3 VW Golf

well, there's your problem right there...

Dave_The_BMXER
09-28-2009, 11:18 PM
All 3 of my cars have been lowered and I have not had any of the issues you mentioned.

aris
09-29-2009, 05:21 AM
My truck was lowered for years and i never had any issues..hell i even had some heavy as 20" on it and still never replaced whell bearings

Default User
09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
So nobody has had any issues with lowering?
Not tie-rods, camber, or alignment issues?

Damn - does the Mazda 3 have a dbl wishbone susp?

Default User
09-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Noisy Crow
09-29-2009, 08:48 AM

Some people have had camber issues, depending on the amount the car has been lowered. Of course, that's why Mazda sells replacement rear camber arms to go with their lowering springs....

condor888000
09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Some have reported excessive wear on their tires, but a proper alignment, and potentially a camber kit and you're set.

Not tie-rods, camber, or alignment issues? See above.

Macpherson strut in the front, multi-link in the rear. You don't gain camber in the front with a drop, just in the rear.

notoriousb
10-04-2009, 03:09 PM

+1

I went through 3 wheel bearing changes (2 fronts), until I noticed my offset on my wheels was totally wrong for my car. I changed the rims and THEN lowered my car, and never had the problem again.

Default User
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM
notoriousb - was the problem with your 3 or another car?

notoriousb
10-04-2009, 10:18 PM
It happened on my Lancer.

I'd like to add however, that in all the older cars sealed wheel bearings never ever wore out. My old ford Taurus drove up to 350 000 km and not once were they ever changed.

RBoy8
10-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Last car was MK3 VW Golf
keep in mind that the car was beaten through T-dots potholes and the notorious WB 401/Yonge overpass daily.

But still - bearings aren't cheap
What was your Mk3 lowered on? Apparently Mk3s don't like to be on lowering springs with stock shocks.

My Volvo is lowered on aftermarket springs with stock shocks in the front and Bilstein TC touring struts in the back and there has been no problems. The stockers are holding up fine. Didn't need a camber kit either, only a 4 wheel alignment. But then again... all cars are different.