10-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Like in other forums we should have a "Lend a Hand Program"

The Lend a Hand Program

"Post here if you need someone to come over and help work on your car,
or if you need to borrow tools or equipment."

MRT_MS3
10-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Sounds like a great idea.

If anybody has a CEL and wants the code scanned and cleared, I have a OBD2 code reader and wouldnt mind saving a fellow tm3 member a few bucks from the delearship. I also wouldnt mind helpin someone out for some light mods or even maintenance.

Im in winston churchill and hwy 403 in mississauga. If your gonna be around the area, shoot me a pm and I would gladly lend a hand.

Darkfrosty7
10-14-2009, 03:37 AM
yea same ways, great idea. im in sauga too =D

froggy
10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
sounds ok, I"m not sure what I can do to help out but if someone needs to learn to swim or wants to loose a couple of pounds I could help you out there.

Soyabean
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
sounds ok, I"m not sure what I can do to help out but if someone needs to learn to swim or wants to loose a couple of pounds I could help you out there.

I'll be the first to take u up on ur losing a couple pounds offer lol. But then again, its the winter, i need my winter fat to keep warm :blush

Default User
10-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Anybody need help holding a flashlight or something, in the Meadowvale and Sheppard area, let me know (Im not skilled in anything, really)

Kind of on the same line - if anybody has family members in need of some Ostomy or Incontinence supplies , PM me for a discount

Donutz
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Need help with removing bumper, install HID fog's, CAI/SRI, SS, Hella Horns, hit me up. Scarb/Markham area.

dentinger
10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
good idea.

however, im afraid of the "you did _____ to my car, now it does ______!! fix it! .....

all in all, im cool to help out just about anyone, but its not my problem if something with the product goes wrong. (ie, hid bulbs burn out the following week....)

MRT_MS3
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
good idea.

however, im afraid of the "you did _____ to my car, now it does ______!! fix it! .....

all in all, im cool to help out just about anyone, but its not my problem if something with the product goes wrong. (ie, hid bulbs burn out the following week....)

Yeah I had one of these a few years back. I installed a remote starter on my co-workers 98 Jetta for free (took 5 hours). After a day or two, the starter itself went. The car had about 250,000KMS with the stock starter. I thought out of coinsidence the car's starter gave after the day I installed the starter. I figured we should atleast split the cost since hes getting a new starter but he told me he didnt have extra money to spend on the car. He said he needs his car to go to work and go to places and stuff. If I didnt touch it in the first place everything would have been OK :flaming . So I bit the bullet and paid for the new starter and told him to go **** himself. To his surprised, everything worked out after I installed the new starter. I did this out to help someone but ended up costing me money and time.

I don't plan on doing this to anyone here but nobody is perfect so I hope whoever I help here to keep that in mind. :)

dentinger
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
exactly.

and i really dont trust anyone besides my few good friends.

i'd be willing to help if it was more of a "i think i know what im doing, but i want a second person to just to make sure" situation.
kinda like where a second opinion is wanted.

MistaChin
10-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Anybody need help holding a flashlight or something, in the Meadowvale and Sheppard area, let me know (Im not skilled in anything, really)

Kind of on the same line - if anybody has family members in need of some Ostomy or Incontinence supplies , PM me for a discount

Meadowvale and Sheppard area? You're damn close to me. Im near Conlins and Sheppard !

Default User
10-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Meadowvale and Sheppard area? You're damn close to me. Im near Conlins and Sheppard !

No shit?!
I take my daughter to the playground/waterpark behind the firestation there.

blankets3
10-15-2009, 12:25 AM
i agree there would have be a few rules ...

obvi ur asking for help meaning u dont have a idea what ur doing or u prolly wouldnt need help meaning u know u could fk something up asking some 1 for help n them fking it up is the same idea!

but like i sure could have use help installing my exhaust .. i had to do it with 2 jacks i got from my + my bros hyundai and boy i sure didnt feel safe i wish some 1 with a proper jack was around...

and for another example i could help install footwell lights.... if anyone needed a hand and had no clue what to do ( and didnt wanna pay some 1 )

Darkfrosty7
10-15-2009, 03:03 PM
k yea we should definately make rules but we should start this =)

Manpreet
10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
if anyone needs help with sanding i can help:chuckle

Mundek
10-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Frogggy,
I need to lose 50 lb be4 Xmas :loco or 5 lb. How exactly can u help?

As for lending hand or two I'm in Brampton the coveted Flower City or something.... I'm ok with tools, quite strong and not too bright. Perfect combo for a hummer job:chuckle

froggy
10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Frogggy,
I need to lose 50 lb be4 Xmas :loco or 5 lb. How exactly can u help?

As for lending hand or two I'm in Brampton the coveted Flower City or something.... I'm ok with tools, quite strong and not too bright. Perfect combo for a hummer job:chuckle

I can put you on an exercise regime, then I can look at your diet and possibly make suggestions to improve your situation. 50lbs in a little over two months is not really realistic or safe. you shouldn't be looking at more than loosing 1-2 lbs/week, without your body going into starvation mode and instead of burning fat for energy your body starts burning muscle instead. Remember your body also fluctuates between 2-4 lbs everyday depending on what you eat, when you go to the bathroom, etc, etc

Mundek
10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Are you certified fitness instructor or nutritionist?
And thanks :)

froggy
10-27-2009, 01:19 PM
was a personal trainer, also do aquatic fitness, and have taken courses in weight loss managment. The personal training thing i never kept current because in my work I didn't have to, all they care is that you had done it once. If that's ok with you I'll do what I can to give you the information and tools that you need. You're the one who still needs to follow through.

dreadlock
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd like some help disabling my DRLs and running fogs instead. alhope34 was showing me how to do it at C7 and looks pretty easy, but an experienced eye never hurts.
I'm having some electrical stuff looked at by the dealer right now so I want to wait until that's done before messing around to avoid being blamed for the issue.

I'm near Winston Churchill and Burnhamthorpe. If anyone in the area has a handle on this it would be great to know and I'll PM you once the dealer is through with it.

Mundek
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Froggy,
On my part I've been doing few thinks excersizewise always with great results for a while and always with crap final results. I think it's called yo-yo.
That's my middle name.

blankets3
10-28-2009, 12:49 AM
mods should make this its own subforum so we can all post topics indivdually, possibly under "Toronto Mazda3 Club Section"

just a thought :)

SilentJay
10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
^^^ I agree, this is a pretty good idea.

I have an ODBII reader, and can lend a helping hand installing mods (CAI, HIDs, etc), of course after the person in need signs a liability form :chuckle

I might be hitting you up too, froggy :P

froggy
10-28-2009, 10:32 AM
no problem it's a matter of making a habbit out of it and not looking at it as a chore. Even small things make a big difference in the long run. Suppose you drink 2 pops at every meal, keep one pop and make the other a water or a soda. Even something as small as that will make a big difference in the long run.

SilentJay
10-28-2009, 11:01 AM
:( I exercise every day, and think that I eat relatively ok (with the odd pig-out sessions here and there), but have been unable to drop any significant weight since adolecence. I've had bloodwork done since my mother's side has thyroid issues, but apparently they came back normal.

One of my friends' colleagues went through something similar, and was referred to an endochronologist - with some help, the guy apparently dropped 80ish pounds.

froggy
10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
remember there is a difference between body weight and body fat precentage, with you working out everyday you might be gaining muscle mass which ways more than fat, but actually loosing body fat. You might also be overtraining if you burn way too much more calories than you bring in then you'll be burning lean muscle mass, as opposed to burning fat, which will in turn will make you more prone to store fat. If you want to loose weight make sure your difference between calories in and calories out is about 10% any bigger of a difference and you'll be in the situation mentioned above. I know it's kind of a pain to do this but you've only really have to go through this once and then average things out.

PCLoadLetter
10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Huge computer geek here, will hack for food.

blankets3
10-29-2009, 02:56 AM
i would like some help with Angel eyes, as much as everyone says to wait for mcgyver its getting very close to winter n still nothing :\

mazdaskit
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
i would like some help with Angel eyes, as much as everyone says to wait for mcgyver its getting very close to winter n still nothing :\

For the angel eyes its not that difficult to do its more time consuming then anything i can give you a link for a write up which i used to go by when i did it

froggy
10-31-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm also adding in this section that I'm willing to teach people how to drive a manual car. I'm so confident in my skills that I'm even willing to use my own car to teach!

Mundek
11-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Now that's a nice offer:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm also adding in this section that I'm willing to teach people how to drive a manual car. I'm so confident in my skills that I'm even willing to use my own car to teach.

Where are you in the GTA froggy?

JovianGhost
11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm also adding in this section that I'm willing to teach people how to drive a manual car. I'm so confident in my skills that I'm even willing to use my own car to teach!

PERFECT!!
That wouldn't have anything to do with this thread (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38800), would it? :chuckle

I will definitely take you up on that offer though. Where are you located, and when do you have time? It would be nice if this is something we could do before winter hits.

--------------

As for my services, for anyone interested, I'm a computer guy. I also do general tech stuff: TVs, home entertainment centers, gadgets, gizmos, electronic toys, etc.

froggy
11-01-2009, 06:37 PM
PERFECT!!
That wouldn't have anything to do with this thread (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38800), would it? :chuckle

I will definitely take you up on that offer though. Where are you located, and when do you have time? It would be nice if this is something we could do before winter hits.

--------------

As for my services, for anyone interested, I'm a computer guy. I also do general tech stuff: TVs, home entertainment centers, gadgets, gizmos, electronic toys, etc.

I'm pretty sure it would, I"m in pretty much down town T.O near dufferin Mall. I've got a pretty messed up schedule, but pm me with what's good for you and I'll try to make it work.

M3-ZOOM
11-01-2009, 07:33 PM

im down for this. i drove manual before but im not that great. hills really like to screw with me :complain

PCLoadLetter
11-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it would, I"m in pretty much down town T.O near dufferin Mall. I've got a pretty messed up schedule, but pm me with what's good for you and I'll try to make it work.
Downtown is the perfect place to learn standard! :chuckle

Adding to my previous post, if anyone needs computer help with anything such as new builds, hardware upgrades, virus protection/removal, graphic design, etc, send me a PM.

Mundek
11-01-2009, 10:27 PM
PCLL,
how good are u with home networking?
Where are u located?
I have a PC + a laptop and my laptop wireless net connection speed really sucks. \tried everything and I'd rather spend $200 on CAI than Squad geek tech :)

JovianGhost
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
PCLL,
Where are u located?
I have a PC + a laptop and my laptop wireless net connection speed really sucks. \tried everything and I'd rather spend $200 on CAI than Squad geek tech :)

What kind of router do you have? What kind of wireless card do you have in your laptop?

STeeLy
11-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd love to improve on my manual as well... but I will only ever be in Toronto on random weekends...

My only offer is that if someone needs anything transported between Toronto and Ottawa/Gatineau, I can lend a hand and save you some mailing costs. however, again, it will only be available when I come down to the GTA, which would be once or twice a month.

Mundek
11-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Rogers h-speed to D-Link524 (g) to PC. Laptop is Acer with Nplify 802.11b,g,n

froggy
11-02-2009, 09:06 AM
im down for this. i drove manual before but im not that great. hills really like to screw with me :complain

hills are fun 3 techniques that I personally know about
from most noob to least noob
1) if in a fwd car use parking brake, but only if its the one you have to use your hand with not a foot brake!

engage it slightly and get the revs up let go of the clutch, when you feel the car want to move forward drop the brake (parking) down

2) let go of the break and quickly perform, an normal standing stop but you have to use more gas than usuall depending on the weight of the car and the steepness of the hill.

3)without using the brakes at all you balance the car with the clutch and the gas so it won't move either forward or back. No let me qualify this by saying I have no idea if this is bad for the clutch or not, and I wouldn't and don't do this if i'm not going to be there for more than a few seconds ie, a stop sign or if someones turning into a laneway or something.

Dave_The_BMXER
11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Froggy have you ever encountered someone who can't float?

I sink pool noodle chairs even... its weird...

froggy
11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Froggy have you ever encountered someone who can't float?

I sink pool noodle chairs even... its weird...

techincally no, I've seen people who can't float at the surface of the water, but will float about 2 inches under. People who have trouble floating generally are either really muscular with low body fat, or long lean and lanky people. Never met you so I can't tell which category you fit into. there's also a tension aspect to it but it shouldn't apply to when you're sitting in a noodle chair. That has mostly to do with actually floating on your own, ie when your relaxed you float, when your tense you sink.

Darkfrosty7
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
lol i float even when i don't want to =( that means im fat

blankets3
11-02-2009, 04:49 PM
3)without using the brakes at all you balance the car with the clutch and the gas so it won't move either forward or back. No let me qualify this by saying I have no idea if this is bad for the clutch or not, and I wouldn't and don't do this if i'm not going to be there for more than a few seconds ie, a stop sign or if someones turning into a laneway or something.

This wont hurt ur car at all if u do it right, all it does is lock the gears together so they cant spin

funny to see ppl behind me like wtf no breaks?

i even had some 1 tell me all my break lights were out :chuckle

Mundek
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Same. We drive in an "automatic" world.

i even had some 1 tell me all my break lights were out

PCLoadLetter
11-02-2009, 06:35 PM
PCLL,
Where are u located?
What exactly have you tried?
Is your PC network speed fine and is it wired or wireless?
Average distance from the router while using the laptop?
Any interference? (walls, cordless phones, microwaves, etc...)

Noisy Crow
11-02-2009, 06:55 PM

This wont hurt ur car at all if u do it right, all it does is lock the gears together so they cant spin

funny to see ppl behind me like wtf no breaks?

i even had some 1 tell me all my break lights were out :chuckle

Ah.... no. If you are slipping the clutch you will burn it out. The trick when transitioning from brake to gas+clutch is doing it quickly and having a feel when the clutch engages. Release the clutch until it starts to grab, then almost simultaneously let go of the brake and start applying the gas as you finish letting the clutch engage.

Now, back on topic: I just installed my QuickLifts on my sedan. If in Mississauga/Brampton wants help drilling holes in their car, just let me know....

JovianGhost
11-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Rogers h-speed to D-Link524 (g) to PC. Laptop is Acer with Nplify 802.11b,g,n

Is your router configured to operate on 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz? Try switching to the latter, as many things such as microwaves and cordless phones can interfere with the the 2.4GHz spectrum.

Also, how far away are you from the router? Are you trying to get wireless access across multiple floors?

Try switching channels (option available in your router.)

The problem is that wireless is not so clear cut and dry. There are many different chipsets available for wireless receivers, and some just suck.

M3-ZOOM
11-03-2009, 12:50 AM
hills are fun 3 techniques that I personally know about
from most noob to least noob
1) if in a fwd car use parking brake, but only if its the one you have to use your hand with not a foot brake!

engage it slightly and get the revs up let go of the clutch, when you feel the car want to move forward drop the brake (parking) down

2) let go of the break and quickly perform, an normal standing stop but you have to use more gas than usuall depending on the weight of the car and the steepness of the hill.

when i first learned, i used number 2. im just not quick enough to get the car moving so i fall back more than i want to.

and for way number 3, that sounds like its gonna grind the clutch alott lol

blankets3
11-03-2009, 02:44 AM
#3 is the best way to do it if u do it right there is no grinding im not sure what noisy crow was saying slipping the clutch?

u can balance the clutch so it locks in and wont move ( meaning no grinding no nothing ) just sits there locked in place, if u dont have a steady leg it may grind or even stall depending on how bad u are.

i do it all the time on every hill im on i only break if i beendoing it all day or im just super lazy.

what u have to do is have the car in gear and when u want to go you just start as usual... if u rly feel like ur doing damage u can step on the clutch all the way and than gass clutch ull fall back but u wont need to move ut other foot quickly from break to gas so u wont fall nearly as much...

everyone that i know does it from old alfas 240's to new volo's and m3's

:\

Noisy Crow
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
u can balance the clutch so it locks in and wont move ( meaning no grinding no nothing ) just sits there locked in place, if u dont have a steady leg it may grind or even stall depending on how bad u are

What do you mean by "locked in place"? If the car is sitting still on a hill and you are keeping the car from rolling back using only the clutch and gas you are slipping the clutch. Which does cause wear.

froggy
11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
What do you mean by "locked in place"? If the car is sitting still on a hill and you are keeping the car from rolling back using only the clutch and gas you are slipping the clutch. Which does cause wear.

not that I don't disagree with you, I even put that disclaimer in place in the original post. Technically everytime you engage the clutch you are causing some wear to it. I think the question is how much damage? If you're only doing it for a second or 2 at a stop sign vs for 45 seconds+ at a red light

Mundek
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
What exactly have you tried?
Is your PC network speed fine and is it wired or wireless?
Average distance from the router while using the laptop?
Any interference? (walls, cordless phones, microwaves, etc...)
Speed fluctuates. That's the main/only problem. Wireless. Distance perhaps 10 meters tops. Through one wall and one floor. Cordless phone nearby also microwave.

Is your router configured to operate on 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz

Did not know there is an option for this.
The thing is I have a feeling it's not the floor/wall/microwave issue as the speed at times is very good. I think my newer (6 months old) and older router (3 yrs old) are simply not "matched" properly.
I think this weekend I will look at the router settings some more again.
Thanks guys.

JovianGhost
11-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Speed fluctuates. That's the main/only problem. Wireless. Distance perhaps 10 meters tops. Through one wall and one floor. Cordless phone nearby also microwave.

Did not know there is an option for this.
The thing is I have a feeling it's not the floor/wall/microwave issue as the speed at times is very good. I think my newer (6 months old) and older router (3 yrs old) are simply not "matched" properly.
I think this weekend I will look at the router settings some more again.
Thanks guys.

It may be interference from an external source.
Try changing your channel on this page (http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/di524_revD/403/h_wireless.html) and see if it has any effect. After changing the channel, try disconnecting the wireless connection, wait a minute, then reconnect, and see if this helps any.

You can also try upgrading your firmware. But be careful, upgrading firmware in wireless routers is a crapshoot, and sometimes it may actually make things WORSE. So if your router supports the option, SAVE your current firmware FIRST before updating it. Make sure to also read the changelog to see exactly what changed in your firmware, and Google to see what others are saying about it.

Mundek
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks JG. I shall try this on the weekend. Much appreciated. Will let u know...

PCLoadLetter
11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Some good info there.

If those tips don't work, buy a new router. 3 years old is pushing it :chuckle

Thrizzl3
11-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Some good info there.

my router is 3 y/o lol and its starting to break down :chuckle

JovianGhost
11-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Some good info there.

The problem is, most routers today are absolute SHIT.

It's strange-- just 5 years ago, pretty much any router you pick up was guaranteed to be good. But nowadays, it's hard to find a decent one.

Before purchasing a new one, if you decide to go that route Mundek, I STRONGLY recommend you READ CUSTOMER REVIEWS. One of the best places to find reviews is Newegg (http://www.newegg.com) since they tend to have reviews on pretty much everything.

Mundek
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
That's just it. The router is "g" and the laptop has both "g" & "n" and nowhere can i find on the laptop if they are talking to each other properly. They are linking, signal stre .... enough already, let's talk cars guys:chuckle

PCLoadLetter
11-03-2009, 11:48 PM
my router is 3 y/o lol and its starting to break down :chuckle
Why are you complaining? Look at all the cash in that wallet!
What mod are you planning on spending that wad on?

Thrizzl3
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Why are you complaining? Look at all the cash in that wallet!
What mod are you planning on spending that wad on?

i'm done modding lol

PCLoadLetter
11-04-2009, 12:03 AM
i'm done modding lol
That explains the cash. :chuckle

Mundek
11-04-2009, 12:07 AM
One of the best places to find reviews is Newegg
Thanks JG. Good to know especially that I most likely will be buying a new router. Another option is to request Rogers to replace my old modem with the new modem/router all in one unit.

PCLoadLetter
11-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks JG. Good to know especially that I most likely will be buying a new router. Another option is to request Rogers to replace my old modem with the new modem/router all in one unit.
I wouldn't recommend the second option. The combo units that Rogers provides aren't the greatest (especially for wireless) and it's a few bucks more per month to rent. In this case, it's better to have 2 pieces of hardware.

Also check out tigerdirect, it's very similar to newegg. Good for determining the price of stuff.

Iceman_F1
11-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Now, back on topic: I just installed my QuickLifts on my sedan. If in Mississauga/Brampton wants help drilling holes in their car, just let me know....

You free on Saturday? :chuckle

I'm picking mine up on Saturday and have no clue what I'd be doing with this...and have no tools to do this either!

JovianGhost
11-04-2009, 07:55 AM

DEFINITELY do not do this.
As PCLL said it's always better to have two pieces of hardware-- at least you have control over one of them.

I'm not sure if Rogers does this, although if Bell is any indication, most of the router functionality will be disabled/hidden/locked in the Rogers' modem. I had a client once who had a combo Bell modem/router and as a result, they couldn't do any P2P stuff because all of their ports were automatically blocked.

Luckily I found this great forum, DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all) where I found information on manually access the router's functionality and unblocking the ports. You may not be so lucky with Rogers' hardware.

Iceman_F1
11-04-2009, 08:00 AM
DEFINITELY do not do this.
As PCLL said it's always better to have two pieces of hardware-- at least you have control over one of them.

I'm not sure if Rogers does this, although if Bell is any indication, most of the router functionality will be disabled/hidden/locked in the Rogers' modem. I had a client once who had a combo Bell modem/router and as a result, they couldn't do any P2P stuff because all of their ports were automatically blocked.

Luckily I found this great forum, DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all) where I found information on manually access the router's functionality and unblocking the ports. You may not be so lucky with Rogers' hardware.

Really? How long ago was this? Because I currently have a bell modem/router (also wireless) and I have no issues unblocking ports on the router itself...P2P works for me no issues...maybe they changed things?

Mundek
11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Ok guys,
No Rogers combo than. I'll just get a new router if I can't fix my home network.
On another/similar subject: do you know this company: www.acanac.ca ?
Much cheaper high speed I-net provider. Any opinions on them?

froggy
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Ok guys,
No Rogers combo than. I'll just get a new router if I can't fix my home network.
On another/similar subject: do you know this company: www.acanac.ca ?
Much cheaper high speed I-net provider. Any opinions on them?

If anyone can tell me that they don't use DPI = Deep packet inspection, I'll change this very second!

Noisy Crow
11-04-2009, 10:24 AM
You free on Saturday? :chuckle

I'm picking mine up on Saturday and have no clue what I'd be doing with this...and have no tools to do this either!

Sure, maybe Saturday... have to check what am supposed to be doing that day first though... should take well under an hour to put them on.

Mundek
11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
What are quick/lifts ?

Flagrum_3
11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
What are quick/lifts ?

I believe they are referring to hood dampeners.

_3

Flagrum_3
11-04-2009, 12:38 PM

+1, One of the worst practices you could get used to!! ...and it causes extreme wear on your clutch. Option 2 listed several posts earlier, is the only 'right' option and anyone who thinks differently is just retarded....sorry

_3

froggy
11-04-2009, 01:28 PM
+1, One of the worst practices you could get used to!! ...and it causes extreme wear on your clutch. Option 2 listed several posts earlier, is the only 'right' option and anyone who thinks differently is just retarded....sorry

_3

would you even say this for a second or 2 at a stop sign? I know I wouldn't do it for the entire duration of a light.

PCLoadLetter
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
would you even say this for a second or 2 at a stop sign? I know I wouldn't do it for the entire duration of a light.
If you are actually stopping (not a rolling stop) and you're on a hill, how else are you going to start moving forward again? 1 second is much better than 45 :)

Noisy Crow
11-04-2009, 03:35 PM
If you are actually stopping (not a rolling stop) and you're on a hill, how else are you going to start moving forward again? 1 second is much better than 45 :)

When I start on any normal hill it takes less than a ¼ second to go from the clutch disengaged to fully engaged. You pretty much release the clutch at the same rate you would on level ground, you just need to feed in more gas to keep the revs up.

As for hood lifts: www.redlinetuning.com

Mundek
11-04-2009, 10:43 PM
For the lifts is 1 enough? Friend's 09 Impreza has just 1 and seems to be working just fine.

Noisy Crow
11-04-2009, 11:40 PM
For the lifts is 1 enough? Friend's 09 Impreza has just 1 and seems to be working just fine.

Well... for the 3 the kit has two struts. I know that for some cars the kit only has one strut. I think the 1 vs 2 would depend on placement of the strut(s), the weight of the hood, and the rigidity of the hood. As well, a single strut would have to be stiffer, and the stress applied to the attachment points would double.

Mundek
11-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Cool, thanks. Added to my "to mod" list :)

TheWulf
11-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Just wanted to say this thread is a great idea. Props to the person who started it :)

JovianGhost
11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Just wanted to say this thread is a great idea. Props to the person who started it :)

Yes, I agree-- too bad it derailed. :chuckle

Seriously though, we should keep this thread on-topic. People should only be posting what they can offer others.

Mundek
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok than, who is willing to help me replace a steering wheel in my 2010 GX ? Next week I should be proud owner of an OEM leather wrapped one taken of a wrecked GT.
My main worry is the air bag exploding when disconnecting. Also is there a blue tooth module/mic I could add to my stock head unit to make use of the buttons included on the GT st. wheel?
THX!

froggy
11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
just make sure you disconect the battery first and you should be alright

Mundek
11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, so is my thinking...and hoping.

Donutz
11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Wear some eye protection.

Mundek
11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I've got my ski goggles and a helmet :)

Mundek
11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Ok, all done. Steering wheel replaced. I will post a walk through shortly.
All nice except the "auto" pwr driver side window does not work. The window itself goes up/down when switch is held, but the AUTO down/up feature does not work now. Interesting....
Checked all fuses. Not one is blown. Any ideas, suggestions fellow forumers?

Mundek
11-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Fixed the AUTO feature driver side window. In the manual a procedure to restore this feature is described: fully open the window than close it and continue to hold the switch in up position for about 2 sec. after the window is closed. Voilą! :bana2
Apparently every time the battery is disconnected this set up has to be carried out.

1nmhbacky
02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Same, I'm by mavis and eglinton in mississauga.
My rotors are going to needing replacement in 10,000-20,000 km,

If you would like to help, that would be great.

yea same ways, great idea. im in sauga too =D

boyracer
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
???

Impressive
02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Revived from the dead LOL

Hyperion
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
But really, we should have a section for this.

Default User
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Did you really have to revive this thread on Steak & BJ day? LOL

Hyperion
03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Did you really have to revive this thread on Steak & BJ day? LOL

It's steak and BJ, not steak and HJ day.

wip
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
idk if anyone would be able to help me out this early but i just got my car painted and need to put it back together and put the new front grill and lip on i would appreciaqte help if anyone has free time and nothing to do! i live in caledon near 10 (hurontario) and 24 (charelston sideorad)

wip
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
forgot to put anytime tonight or tommorow!

Default User
03-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Damn you so far, yo!!

FD22
03-24-2012, 09:02 PM
I definitely like the idea behind this thread.

I was hoping to install some aluminum pedals on my 3 tomorrow (or in the near future if it rains tomorrow). Now, I've read most of the threads on here about installing them (didn't seem too complicated to begin with, I just don't wanna mess anything up) and it seems simple enough. The process seems pretty straight-forward, but I was just wondering if anyone experience doing this had any tips for me? I don't necessarily need you to "lend a hand" physically (I would almost feel silly asking for help on such a simple thing), but more just offer some tips on what you might've done to make the install easier, or some mistakes to avoid, etc.

Appreciate the feedback!

Default User
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I definitely like the idea behind this thread.

I was hoping to install some aluminum pedals on my 3 tomorrow (or in the near future if it rains tomorrow). Now, I've read most of the threads on here about installing them (didn't seem too complicated to begin with, I just don't wanna mess anything up) and it seems simple enough. The process seems pretty straight-forward, but I was just wondering if anyone experience doing this had any tips for me? I don't necessarily need you to "lend a hand" physically (I would almost feel silly asking for help on such a simple thing), but more just offer some tips on what you might've done to make the install easier, or some mistakes to avoid, etc.

Appreciate the feedback!

I broke 3 drill bits trying to install my pedals. make sure you got a good position when drilling - even the slightest angle might cause the bit to shatter. Where goggles just in case.

FD22
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
I broke 3 drill bits trying to install my pedals. make sure you got a good position when drilling - even the slightest angle might cause the bit to shatter. Where goggles just in case.

Ah damn.

Thanks for the tip!

Noisy Crow
03-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Pedal install:

Curvature of the new pedals does not match the steel of the stock pedal. This means there is a gap between the steel pedal and the new aluminum one. As a result, if you over-tighten the bolts they will pull right through the aluminum pedal.

FD22
03-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Pedal install:

Curvature of the new pedals does not match the steel of the stock pedal. This means there is a gap between the steel pedal and the new aluminum one. As a result, if you over-tighten the bolts they will pull right through the aluminum pedal.

I see. What's the fix for this (if any)? Avoid over-tightening the bolts altogether, or can I somehow bend the aluminum pedals to fit the stock ones more closely?

Noisy Crow
03-25-2012, 12:00 AM
I see. What's the fix for this (if any)? Avoid over-tightening the bolts altogether, or can I somehow bend the aluminum pedals to fit the stock ones more closely?

They won't bent well, as they are cast. A washer or two to fill the gap would probably be a good idea. But mostly: Don't over tighten them.

FD22
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Boy do I feel like a failure.. haha

Finally got down to installing these pedals. Not only did it take me longer than what it seemed to take others in the past, but I'm not really over-satisfied with the finished product. They still look good, but you can clearly tell it was done by a retard :P

Anyway, just thought I'd post some issues I had:

Dead pedal - I'm not sure if I missed something, but I just screwed directly into the carpeted area. One or two of the screws seem a little loose, and I'm still not comfortable in the fact that it's sitting there tight. Contrary to what I think is going to happen, I really hope it doesn't move about too much.

Clutch - Probably the one pedal I didn't have issues with :P

Brake - Got about 3 holes drilled that aren't being used lol. I dunno, I just couldn't get a proper setup for this one (issue was mainly with the top right hole). My last attempt ended with finally being able to get all three bolts in without hitting anything, but it resulted in a somewhat crooked pedal :(. It's not in-your-face crooked, but being all OCD and wanting everything on my car to be perfect, it's a little irritating to me :P

Gas - Couldn't properly secure this one either. Drilled every hole but the top right one, as I couldn't find a way where it didn't end up on one of the ridges on the back of the pedal. Due to this, I didn't even bother drilling there, as it would've been pointless. As for the other three holes, I was only able to fasten bolts to two of them (bottom right and top left). The space behind the pedal to get the nuts in was too tight for the third hole. I'm hoping the two bolts can hold this pedal down.

Anyway, there's a summary of my issues. I do really love how they look; just wish I was a little more skilled in this department, as it could've been installed much better. I really hope one or two bolts missing on a given pedal isn't enough to make it come off anytime soon. Anybody else running these pedals with similar problems?

Feedback for solutions and/or laughter to my issues are both welcome :P

Jackal
03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Too bad you live far from SP. I think Jimmy does this once in a while and he doesn't charge a lot.