PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Threads

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 10:40 AM
This is in regards to the announcement in the Classifieds section on "Price Bashing" (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=70).

I found a poll, and it looks like the final consensus was "Option 1 - Community Protecting Each Other Model" where we can question the prices listed.

See thread here:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23898

I only bring this up because I can see an item or two for sale currently that I have purchased for myself in the past, and know that even the later models of this product sell for A LOT less than what's listed. I was also almost "tricked" into overpaying for an item recently, luckily I searched and found out this person tried to sell it months ago for less than half the price he quoted me.

I'll be buying more stuff in the spring hopefully and would like to know that I'm not over paying for something I might be able to get a better deal on. I know it was stated that we can PM potential buyers, but I'm definitely not gonna wait and watch for people who are interested and take the time to PM them to warn then.

Just a thought, maybe we should allow members to chime in when necessary without going overboard and actually bashing the seller as sometimes they might just not be aware their price is outrageous.

Thanks!

aris
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
But we are all adults here..if you don't like the price the person is asking then either pm the person or don't bother buying it...Besides before you buy anyhting you should do your own research to find out if it's reaanble or not.

I rember when i was selling my truck their was people bashing my price..so i removed my thread off the dakota-durnago fourm and sold it on ebay for exactly what i wanted for it...If someone wants it they will pay the price the person is asking.

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
True, but like I said the intention is not to "bash" the price, but rather give a quick heads up. That's why it's called "Community Protecting Each Other Model"...

Anyway it's just a suggestion, it's hard sometimes to research exactly how much a used product is selling for currently. More for convenience than anything.

aris
10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
If people were allowed to post something about the sellers prices that i would reomove everything that i am selling on this site and i would never post anything for sale on this site..i would just post on kijiji or ebay where the only way my price could be bashed would be privatley..:)

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
If people were allowed to post something about the sellers prices that i would reomove everything that i am selling on this site and i would never post anything for sale on this site..i would just post on kijiji or ebay where the only way my price could be bashed would be privatley..:)

So you're saying you're overcharging for everything you're selling on this site currently? :chuckle I kid I kid.

aris
10-23-2009, 11:06 AM
So you're saying you're overcharging for everything you're selling on this site currently? :chuckle I kid I kid.

lol..no but their can be alot off a$%holes on this site that would bash prices cause they can:)

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
lol..no but their can be alot off *******s on this site that would bash prices cause they can:)

You're right, and I've seen it. Probably why the announcement was made in the first place.

But that's why we have moderators, I think within reason it's okay to have an opinion on a public thread.... that seems to be the going theme here no? lol

Iceman_F1
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
This is how I see it. Think of each FS thread as a store. The person selling is the owner of that current product and they list the price of it as how much they think it's worth. Imagine how that person feels if someone comes in and all of a sudden goes "OMG, that is SUCH a rip-off! You can get something similar over in that other store for cheaper!" and then walks out.

No one likes a mass of people cluttering up a thread about stuff like that. It's up to the seller to be willing to drop the price if others think it's too high. If no one wants to pay that price, no one will. If someone wants to buy it, they will. It's not up to us to say how much they should sell it for since we don't know the exact condition of the item in question.

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
This is how I see it. Think of each FS thread as a store. The person selling is the owner of that current product and they list the price of it as how much they think it's worth. Imagine how that person feels if someone comes in and all of a sudden goes "OMG, that is SUCH a rip-off! You can get something similar over in that other store for cheaper!" and then walks out.

They do though! Ever heard of that discount if the competitor's price is lower than theirs you get the competitor price PLUS 10% of the difference or something? hahahha... never took advantage of that but a lot of people did when I used to work at toys R Us hahah.. wal-mart killed us.

aris
10-23-2009, 11:11 AM

No one likes a mass of people cluttering up a thread about stuff like that. It's up to the seller to be willing to drop the price if others think it's too high. If no one wants to pay that price, no one will. If someone wants to buy it, they will. It's not up to us to say how much they should sell it for since we don't know the exact condition of the item in question.

Well said Iceman_F1

aris
10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
They do though! Ever heard of that discount if the competitor's price is lower than theirs you get the competitor price PLUS 10% of the difference or something? hahahha... never took advantage of that but a lot of people did when I used to work at toys R Us hahah.. wal-mart killed us.

I never walk in to a store and do this..if i don't like the price i go to another store til i like the price.

Example i been pming 4 sponsers for tires each one gave me thier price..some sponsers were more then the other but i never said anything..in the end i am getting my tires from the sponser that gave me the best price..i find it rude to do to tell the other place that i can geting it cheaper alse wear IMO

Iceman_F1
10-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Yes, but that's assuming each item is NEW and the EXACT same. If it's not 100% exactly the same, no price match! IE In a genuine store, non-oem (IE in box), same exact model, currently in-stock at that place. Since why would someone price match something not exactly same model, from a place that maybe only ships and doesn't have a store front, that's oem and is currently out of stock. Even IF all that is true, how many customers would walk around said store and shout/loudly say "THIS IS A RIP-OFF, GO TO *insert store name* FOR A BETTER PRICE!!!" Guess I should have narrowed it down to pawn shop type places or other such store that sells used items.

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I never walk in to a store and do this..if i don't like the price i go to another store til i like the price.

Even IF all that is true, how many customers would walk around said store and shout/loudly say "THIS IS A RIP-OFF, GO TO *insert store name* FOR A BETTER PRICE!!!"

OMG you would be surprised how many people do this, and try to get that discount plus more... people are lazy and won't go store to store, their argument was "I'm here now, I'm the customer I'm always right".... and that SUCKED!!!! Anyone who worked for service can tell you that's how it is.. my old boss had a beachball thrown at his head by a customer cuz he wouldn't give him a discount on the last WII... WTF!!!!! hahahhah people are CRAZYYYY, this is why I swore i'd never work for the public EVER again :chuckle

Oh and they would ALWAYS use the line "I'M NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN I'M GOING TO WAL MART FOREVERRRR" and I'd wish them well on their way... hahahah

Yes, but that's assuming each item is NEW and the EXACT same.

And yes exactly. My point was, however, that I currently am looking at an item that is a lower model than the one I bought months ago, and almost twice the price. Don't worry I'm not too torn up about it lol, it's just an example.

Iceman_F1
10-23-2009, 11:27 AM
OMG you would be surprised how many people do this, and try to get that discount plus more... people are lazy and won't go store to store, their argument was "I'm here now, I'm the customer I'm always right".... and that SUCKED!!!! Anyone who worked for service can tell you that's how it is.. my old boss had a beachball thrown at his head by a customer cuz he wouldn't give him a discount on the last WII... WTF!!!!! hahahhah people are CRAZYYYY, this is why I swore i'd never work for the public EVER again :chuckle

Oh and they would ALWAYS use the line "I'M NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN I'M GOING TO WAL MART FOREVERRRR" and I'd wish them well on their way... hahahah

Honestly, I've never had that happen in the time I worked at Futureshop (I think about 6-8 months). I know how stupid people can be...but never dealt with them thankfully!

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Honestly, I've never had that happen in the time I worked at Futureshop (I think about 6-8 months). I know how stupid people can be...but never dealt with them thankfully!

ohhh did you work in customer service? That's probably why you didn't see the bulk of the crazies :chuckle The floor people have it the best.

People who shop at Future Shop though tend to be somewhat "higher end" perhaps? Spend a couple of hours at wal-mart and you'll see people will cross the line and go as far as spitting in your face just to save a buck or two (witnessed). I have story upon story that prove this.... but that's off topic.

This is obviously a different scenario and my opinion is that I agree with the majority who voted in this poll, and I'd like the opportunity for people to jump in, POLITELY of course, and give me a heads up if I'm about to buy something over priced.

BoostieMonster
10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
ohhh did you work in customer service? That's probably why you didn't see the bulk of the crazies :chuckle The floor people have it the best.

People who shop at Future Shop though tend to be somewhat "higher end" perhaps? Spend a couple of hours at wal-mart and you'll see people will cross the line and go as far as spitting in your face just to save a buck or two (witnessed). I have story upon story that prove this.... but that's off topic.

This is obviously a different scenario and my opinion is that I agree with the majority who voted in this poll, and I'd like the opportunity for people to jump in, POLITELY of course, and give me a heads up if I'm about to buy something over priced.

:pop

mazdaskit
10-23-2009, 02:47 PM

And yes exactly. My point was, however, that I currently am looking at an item that is a lower model than the one I bought months ago, and almost twice the price. Don't worry I'm not too torn up about it lol, it's just an example.

Lol something like that happened one day at lunch at mcdonalds i was in line and this lady with two kids ordered there meals and stuff guy tells her the price & shes like WHAT.. what you mean the price is something around $18.50 & said i can get that price for always $17.25 at the other mcdonalds by my place lol and she then grabs her kids and storms out of the place after making a scene for only like dollar something

mazdabetty
10-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Lol something like that happened one day at lunch at mcdonalds i was in line and this lady with two kids ordered there meals and stuff guy tells her the price & shes like WHAT.. what you mean the price is something around $18.50 & said i can get that price for always $17.25 at the other mcdonalds by my place lol and she then grabs her kids and storms out of the place after making a scene for only like dollar something

Wow... see.. my point exactly. It's amazing what people are capable of.

:pop

Okay one more. :chuckle

Another employee was threatened to be stabbed with an object, but not before informing her that he had AIDS and would give it to her if she didn't refund his purchase. :whoa no lies, this warning was sent to all toys r us locations in the GTA at the time.

b.rabbit
10-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow... see.. my point exactly. It's amazing what people are capable of.

Okay one more. :chuckle

Another employee was threatened to be stabbed with an object, but not before informing her that he had AIDS and would give it to her if she didn't refund his purchase. :whoa no lies, this warning was sent to all toys r us locations in the GTA at the time.

OK, that's messed up. :loco

JSI
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I have to say I agreed with Mazdabetty, for me this community is here and I am a member because I like my car and most people on here do to.(some don't). It's not a sales front although some will use it that way to me it seems better to have the members look out for each other.

Will it require moderation, of course but within reason someone should be able to public post that they think a price is too high.

Jeremy

bman13
10-23-2009, 04:59 PM
The best thing a person can do is research and if the seller is having no success, you could point out nicely that "Hey, I think people maybe interested but being that the last three people that sold them sold for $100 less, you may want to consider lowering your price".

I can't remember which FS thread but someone recently did that and the person lowered their price and it was sold shortly there after.

Default User
10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I would think that prices are usually posted higher than what the seller really hopes to get. It's simply inflated to amuse lowballers.

IMO, if you don't like a price, or think it's overpriced - send the seller a PM and state your offer. The worst thing tht can happen is he says no. At that point - just walk away.

There's no point complaining about it - rather laugh it off knowing the guy is a tool.

That being said, I think other members that don't know better should be warned. However it is, and always will be, buyer beware.

Flagrum_3
10-24-2009, 04:29 AM
This is in regards to the announcement in the Classifieds section on "Price Bashing" (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=70).

I found a poll, and it looks like the final consensus was "Option 1 - Community Protecting Each Other Model" where we can question the prices listed.

See thread here:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23898

I only bring this up because I can see an item or two for sale currently that I have purchased for myself in the past, and know that even the later models of this product sell for A LOT less than what's listed. I was also almost "tricked" into overpaying for an item recently, luckily I searched and found out this person tried to sell it months ago for less than half the price he quoted me.

I'll be buying more stuff in the spring hopefully and would like to know that I'm not over paying for something I might be able to get a better deal on. I know it was stated that we can PM potential buyers, but I'm definitely not gonna wait and watch for people who are interested and take the time to PM them to warn then.

Just a thought, maybe we should allow members to chime in when necessary without going overboard and actually bashing the seller as sometimes they might just not be aware their price is outrageous.
Thanks!

I agree fully! I see TM3 as a community and a community watch out for each other, right? As long as there is no bashing and all's done in a respectful way ofcourse. :)

_3

aris
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Ashley is this thread about your bug deflector you were looking for???

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38211&highlight=bug+deflector

Cardinal Fang
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I agree fully! I see TM3 as a community and a community watch out for each other, right? As long as there is no bashing and all's done in a respectful way ofcourse. :)

_3

And herein is the problem. There was one thread where person after person came on and posted "your price is too high." As each new person read the for sale thread they were eager to warn others and never bothered to read the responses for before posting their warning. In the end you had at least 10 posts of the same warning which when read looked like price bashing.

1. We can't tell people what to sell their items for.
2. One warning to members is appropriate. More than three and it seems like price bashing to me.
3. Ultimately our members need to do their own research. We can't baby people through the process of buying things.

Iceman_F1
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
And herein is the problem. There was one thread where person after person came on and posted "your price is too high." As each new person read the for sale thread they were eager to warn others and never bothered to read the responses for before posting their warning. In the end you had at least 10 posts of the same warning which when read looked like price bashing.

2. One warning to members is appropriate. More than three and it seems like price bashing to me.
3. Ultimately our members need to do their own research. We can't baby people through the process of buying things.

+1

mazdabetty
10-26-2009, 12:42 PM

Yeah, see I don't see it so much as "babying" but rather a heads up, as information on pricing for used items isn't always available for research. I keep looking at this stupid thread of a particular audio product for sale and its eating me up knowing that I bought the newer model with more options for a lot less than that!! But I can't say anything so now someone is gonna be overpaying by quite a bit. But you're right. Why should I care! You guys are on your own with that one then :)

I do agree completely when you mention that people neglect to read the entire thread and eagerly post the exact same response 100 times. That also drives me nuts, but we see that happen every day in a lot of different threads.

Anyway it's no biggie, definitely don't want to start a big debate about it, I just wanted to mention it and see what other member's thoughts were, and mainly for my own protection when/if I decide to make more purchases here :)

Cardinal Fang
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I keep looking at this stupid thread of a particular audio product for sale and its eating me up knowing that I bought the newer model with more options for a lot less than that!! But I can't say anything so now someone is gonna be overpaying by quite a bit.

That's not necessarily true mazdabetty. I have no problem with you politely telling the person that he's overpriced and that the newer model is cheaper. I would even encourage you to pm him to let him/her know or post it if you feel more comfortable.

When you go past 3 posts then we have an issue.

mazdabetty
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
So we can then? Ok... well see that's exactly what I was trying to say! I gathered from the announcement that we weren't allowed to say anything at all. I think that's what most people gathered.

I most definitely was not trying to encourage price bashing with an overabundance of posts by any means. Like I said it gets tiring and is unnecessary.

Thanks for clarifying!

Flagrum_3
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
That's not necessarily true mazdabetty. I have no problem with you politely telling the person that he's overpriced and that the newer model is cheaper. I would even encourage you to pm him to let him/her know or post it if you feel more comfortable.

When you go past 3 posts then we have an issue.

That's reasonable, no more then one post is required and is what i meant by respectful...But the pm idea is good too. :)

_3