PDA

View Full Version : Member location info

mazdilla
12-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I do not know if this has been hashed over before, but:

Maybe its a good idea to have member location info on the side bar.

This would help tremendously in knowing if one can pick up the items or drop them off. I've sold stuff and was ready to ship, when at the last minute I discovered that the buyer lived right in the next town.

This would save on a ton of reciprocal PM's.

Thanks for your consideration.

McGuyver_3
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
i think someone has started this already

DumpInfo
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Yup, it was brought up a couple of times but didn't go through because I believe it was a protection thing more then anything on the members rides...

I agree with you about it. It's ones choice to decide whether he/she wants to post it up or not.

mazdilla
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Yup, it was brought up a couple of times but didn't go through because I believe it was a protection thing more then anything on the members rides...

I agree with you about it. It's ones choice to decide whether he/she wants to post it up or not.

I do not even see the option to post location in our sig/ID entry.

We're talking about a general loacation here. Not an actual address.

Thought: Gee, Oh, Ahhhhh! I posted my location. Oh, my! CSIS, CRA and the CIA are going to come knocking on my door!

Rethink: I am a completely unimportant individual on some obscure message board that is completely harmless. I only want to spruce up my car.

Thought: Oh, No! Someone is going to come and steal my car. I can't SLEEP!!!

Rethink: Oh yeah, that's right. I have mandatory insurance and I'll get back more than I paid for it..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thought: Even though I'm insured, I will never be able to replace it!

Rethink: Oh yeah, that's right. They build them every fackin' day, and there are about 3 million just like mine.

Imagine a location ID like:

Location: London, ON (I park next to the nursing student's car.)

Location: Bruce County, ON (My car is hidden behind the brown cow!)

Location: Ottawa Valley, ON (I'm easy to find. I park everyday in a gov't parking lot.)

Location: Eastern Ontario (Just past Timmy's. No, no, no, bonehead! The other Timmy's!)

Get it??

Every time I try to do a deal with members here, they seem to hide last names, unwilling to give phone #'s, drag the whole process out by only wanting to PM. This is nuts. Takes weeks to do a deal, or even start one because of a paranoic veil of secrecey. If I saw/read a location and read that it was pick-up only, or willing to ship, then I can decide BEFOREHAND if its worth contacting the member.

Lighten up, man.

Get things done.

Live a little.

Life is too short.

I intend to live forever, so far..... so good!

McGuyver_3
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I do not even see the option to post location in our sig/ID entry.

We're talking about a general loacation here. Not an actual address.

Something like:

Thought: Gee, Oh, Ahhhhh! I posted my location. Oh, my! CSIS, CRA and the CIA are going to come knocking on my door!

Rethink: I am a completely unimportant individual on some obscure message board that is completely harmless. I only want to spruce up my car.

Thought: Oh, No! Someone is going to come and steal my car. I can't SLEEP!!!

Rethink: Oh yeah, that's right. I have mandatory insurance and I'll get back more than I paid for it..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thought: Even though I'm insured, I will never be able to replace it!

Rethink: Oh yeah, that's right. They build them every fackin' day, and there are about 3 million just like mine.

Imagine a location ID like:

Every time I try to do a deal with members here, they seem to hide last names, unwilling to give phone #'s, drag the whole process out by only wanting to PM. This is nuts. Takes weeks to do a deal, or even start one because of a paranoic veil of secrecey. If I saw/read a location and read that it was pick-up only, or willing to ship, then I can decide if its worth contacting the member.

Get it??

Lighten up, man.

Get things done.

Live a little.

Life is too short.

No need to get hostile haha. giving out numbers and last names is not something everyone wants to do especially if you have a last name that is not very common or if the number is apersonal phone and not a business phone. As for the car being stolen not so much a worry but it does make it a little more vulnerable for theft as whats in or on the car. And no car is like your own your car is unique simply by the way you take care of it drive it and whatever else you do. If the insurance pays you a lump sum thats less then what yours is worth then that could possibly even lead to you paying out of your pocket if your car was payed off. And an insurance claim= higher insurance been there done that not happy about it

cwp_sedan
12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I do not know if this has been hashed over before, but:

Maybe its a good idea to have member location info on the side bar.

This would help tremendously in knowing if one can pick up the items or drop them off. I've sold stuff and was ready to ship, when at the last minute I discovered that the buyer lived right in the next town.

This would save on a ton of reciprocal PM's.

Thanks for your consideration.

If you feel like letting us know where you're from, you can put it in your signature area. :)

I always ask where a buyer is located so that this problem gets dealt with right away. Maybe you should try that.

mazdilla
12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
LOL - Not getting hostile.

Just fed up!

Crypes! I sold something here. and when I got the mailing addy, there was no last name! (Mr. xx) B for crying out loud.

I feel like I'm dealing with James Bond here. No, I take that back, more like Maxwell Smart.

I can see where this is going.

Everyone, quick! Pull the covers over your head. The world is watching!

Goodnight!

Thrizzl3
12-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Just fed up!

Crypes! I sold something here. and when I got the mailing addy, there was no last name! (Mr. xx) B for crying out loud.

I feel like I'm dealing with James Bond here. No, I take that back, more like Maxwell Smart.

Goodnight!

sorry ladies an gents..our fellow member is having a caffeine attack. :chuckle

McGuyver_3
12-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Just fed up!

Goodnight!

In that case its something else and i can understand the last name thing i thought you meant in general

DumpInfo
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
lol this got so out of hand :chuckle

Whenever I deal with sellers/buyers I ask direct questions there's no need to play cat and mouse. If they don't reply I look elsewhere.

S.F.W.
12-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Just as an update, I have looked into this, and it requires a plugin to be installed. However, Vbulletin 4.0 is around the corner. At this time, I am not planning to install additional items until we migrate to VB4.

McGuyver_3
12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
lol this got so out of hand :chuckle

Whenever I deal with sellers/buyers I ask direct questions there's no need to play cat and mouse. If they don't reply I look elsewhere.

Nothing got out of hand everything was still handled in a reasonable matter lol

aris
12-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I think it's a good idea..I am on dodge fourm and we have teh option of puting where were from.

By having this option it would make it way easier in dealing with people.

When i was selling my tires a forum meber was asking about my tires...we get everything all worked out (price wise) and then bang he finds out i am from Belleville and he back out unless i bring it to him...when i told him i was willing to meet half way...

mazdilla
12-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Just as an update, I have looked into this, and it requires a plugin to be installed. However, Vbulletin 4.0 is around the corner. At this time, I am not planning to install additional items until we migrate to VB4.

Fair enough!

sorry ladies an gents..our fellow member is having a caffeine attack. :chuckle

... now back to my coffee.