PDA

View Full Version : Signs that a HUB is damaged

bbell1984
01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Was wondering if anyone could tell me the noises to listen for or the signs to look for to tell whether my HUB is damaged.:pop

Thanks
Brian

bubba1983
01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
not so much your hub, but your wheel bearings...

listen for a whining noise...it will get louder with speed

bbell1984
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks,

But i actually had the wheel bearing replaced.

Now apparently my rotor is warped. But the only rotor that apparently is warped is the one where i had my wheel bearing replaced. There is also a slight noise there which i suspect might be the warped rotor, but i've always wondered whether my HUB is damaged. Reason being is because when my faulty bearing was found, they told me to wait to replace it because it wasn't damaged enough....so time passed and they finally replaced it under warranty.

Plus the side where i had my wheel bearing replaced, has been a troublesome corner of the car, seems like everything goes wrong there, so thats why i was curious about the HUB

dsichewski
01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Reason being is because when my faulty bearing was found, they told me to wait to replace it because it wasn't damaged enough....so time passed and they finally replaced it under warranty.

If they find a faulty bearing should they not be replacing it then? Why would they wait? If its under full warranty???

bbell1984
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
"so time passed and they finally replaced it under warranty"

wikdslo
01-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Generally speaking, hubs are not faulty.

The nature of the hub is a hunk of solid metal, that usually doesn't bend unless it's reallllly hit hard.
You said that this was a troublesome corner of the car? What other issues have you had there?

The bearing going is normal after wear and tear.
100,000km is normal. Sometimes sooner, sometimes longer, depending on a multitude of factors I suppose.

The hub being an issue though, I've never heard of. Not to say it can't happen.

Give us more details about the car.

Year, mileage, last brake change (if any).

Cheap rotors warp.
People who brake hard put extra wear on their brakes.
Stopping from 120km/h in an emergency situation is enough to warp your rotor, and it only gets worse from there. (that's based on the fact that these aren't racing brakes made for that type of driving).

If your caliper ever got stuck or the sliders weren't serviced and it was causing it to stick a bit, the pads will stay tight to the rotor and heat it until the point that it warps.

All of these things also affect the bearings, as they are all directly connected via metal on metal, which will transfer the heat.
They all have seals that are susceptible to heat, and when they overheat, they not only can start leaking their bearing grease, but can also modify the grease itself so it isn't doing it's job properly, causing excessive wear on the bearing.

Many possibilities here.