PDA

View Full Version : *custom SRI build/install*

standsideways
02-17-2010, 01:32 AM
hey all. ive decided to go my own route and build my own SRI/CAI, and im going to share it with the TM3 forums, so others can do this aswell.

parts for my build are:

2175 - vibrant tube
2773b - vibrant transition hose
9132- spectre filter
9405- spectre MAFS
and you will also need some of those stainless steel clamps that all intakes come with.

im waiting for parts 2175 and 2773b on 02/17/2010 and should have everything i need today.

pics and how-to will be up soon. stay posted!:pop

FLIPDADY
02-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Can't wait to see the results. How much did the materials cost you?

stevenma188
02-17-2010, 09:18 AM
:pop

My buddy did this on his old Honda civic, using a cone filter and some heating duct from home depot. His didn't have a MAF in the intake pipe, which was why it's so easy to do.

Interested to see the results and pics.

standsideways
02-18-2010, 12:24 AM
okayyyy! update!

I got too excited to throw it together that i couldent wait and did it at work with no camera.....

ill be uploading pics shortly of the final product tho.

the ecu is learning very slowly, idle is funny for a second when you stop, and it doesnt know what to do with the new air yet, but its getting better every pull, im just going to have to drive it more and more.
(fn obd2!)

standsideways
02-18-2010, 12:29 AM
okayyyy! update!

I got too excited to throw it together that i couldent wait and did it at work with no camera.....

ill be uploading pics shortly of the final product tho.

the ecu is learning very slowly, idle is funny for a second when you stop, and it doesnt know what to do with the new air yet, but its getting better every pull, im just going to have to drive it more and more.
(fn obd2!)

parts were like 140, there was a few other things in there too.

wouldhave been like 80 if i didnt go with vibrant parts tho.those silicone hoses arent cheap.

Thrizzl3
02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
how does it sound?

standsideways
02-18-2010, 02:15 AM
LOUD!, i dont know though really, ive never heard a short ram on a 3 in real life, deep at low revs, almost a bit like a vr6..then high revs its a totally different sound...and at about 2k if i get it right it whistles for some reason,turbo spool kinda sound.

im going to check everything over tommorow @ work and take out the lower air box, the idle is fine now after a good hr drive, but stop and go traffic it has a hiccup on idle,hope its just the ecu learning and not the intake itself.

power delivery is now WAY different.

low rpms are more sluggish than before definately, but thats mazda engineering the factory unit to be better at low rpm like most cars.
instead of power coming in at 3300 or so,its more like 4k now wich i need to get used to.

standsideways
02-21-2010, 07:19 AM
update...... installed the 2 3/4'' maf sleeve in the pipe and it made a night and day difference.

car runs like a champ now lol ive even developed myself an exhaust leak @ the flex pipe :p

pics and video to come tonight

Default User
02-22-2010, 07:03 PM
First off - thumbsup to you for building your own product. Not many people are willing to try it themselves. (you must be an old VW owner)

However - at 140 in parts - you couldve gotten a Ractive, or other Generic brand SRI from SSG. I think he's selling them right now for 90

That being said, I still would've gone the same route as you, and go DIY.
Actually....I did. I took a ghetto cheapo CAI that had the same MAF housing as the 3, and cut the tube myself. Cost me $80 and 30 mins to cut, fit, and install. Gonna get a K&N cone filter in the summer - just cause I don't trust the no-name one.

standsideways
02-23-2010, 01:42 AM
default user-thanks man, i couldhave had the cost alot lower using rubber couplers not the 4ply silicone ones,and using generic bent tubing,not the vibrant polished tubing, but i wanted to make it right, and its never cheap doing that.i hope ya like it.the black/blue is unfortunate but its temporary.

my parts dude is getting me the black 2 3/4''-3'' to swap out the blue one free of charge. :D

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2306/picture003j.th.jpg (http://img638.imageshack.us/i/picture003j.jpg/)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2445/picture005ty.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/i/picture005ty.jpg/)

Cardinal Fang
02-23-2010, 08:24 AM
I got say that it looks great. Would have easily thought you had bought it. Well done. I'm curious whey the Spectre filter and not K&N? Was the size the limitation for you?

Gizzmo_jr
02-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Looks great, but I would of done a CAI instead.

standsideways
02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I got say that it looks great. Would have easily thought you had bought it. Well done. I'm curious whey the Spectre filter and not K&N? Was the size the limitation for you?

i had the choice of k&n, injen, 2 spectre filters, and the aem dryflow...i got a deal on the spectre so that was the selling point.

im going to pick up a new one, when i can find the one i want ;)

standsideways
02-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Looks great, but I would of done a CAI instead.

hehe i have a 90* tube coming in so i can run it CAI in the summer and SRI in the winter. and also taking out the lower airbox, obviously lol.

thanks guys!