PDA

View Full Version : Bassy noise when steering wheel turned all the way

WeatherB
03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Does anyone else get a bassy noise coming from the engine area when the steering wheel is turned all the way to either side and the car is moving slowly (think trying to navigate an underground parking lot)?

This noise started probably four or five months after I got the car and even got it looked at once. The tech replaced some bearing hangers and a drive shaft but the noise came back a week later.

Want to see if this is a normal sound for the MS3 before I go through the trouble of having it looked at again.

Speed_Demon
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm probably not qualified to answer this. But I was always told/thought you should never turn your steering wheel (either way) to the max. Every car makes that kind of sound when you do.

seelsy
03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
well the sound your hearing speed_Demon is the power steering pump, in our 3's it's especially noticable

Speed_Demon
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Ahh. I thought it was something to do with the power steering.

WeatherB
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm probably not qualified to answer this. But I was always told/thought you should never turn your steering wheel (either way) to the max. Every car makes that kind of sound when you do.

Interesting, this is first I hear about this. I know you're not suppost to "dry-steer". I am leaning towards this being an issue with the car considering that the car was fine for a few months when new.

Unless I hear otherwise from some other Speed3 owners, I'll bring it up with the service department at my next service.

I also notice that the noise happens when I turn half way except that the noise is a lot quieter.

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Interesting, this is first I hear about this. I know you're not suppost to "dry-steer". I am leaning towards this being an issue with the car considering that the car was fine for a few months when new.

Unless I hear otherwise from some other Speed3 owners, I'll bring it up with the service department at my next service.

I also notice that the noise happens when I turn half way except that the noise is a lot quieter.

Are you running MT-90 synthetic tranny fluid by chance?

WeatherB
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you running MT-90 synthetic tranny fluid by chance?

Yes I am... You think that has something to do with it?

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Yes I am... You think that has something to do with it?

Yup. The MT90 is causing that noise. I didn't know what you meant by 'bassy noise' until you elaborated on it.

It is apparently common with the MT90 in the Speed3's and doesn't do any harm apparently. I can't remember the specific reason why it makes this noise, as it was a long time ago that I read about it, but it is well covered in the Mazdaspeed forums. Perhaps someone can chime in that does remember.

My Speed does the exact same thing with the MT90 and I hear it more when the car is cold and I'm moving slowly and having to pull in/out of parking areas and tight spaces.

There was a thread on here about a year ago and a Speed owner who was all freaked out about the noise and removed the MT90. I'd find it for you, but I'm on my BB right now. It is in the speed section here.

WeatherB
03-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Yup. The MT90 is causing that noise. I didn't know what you meant by 'bassy noise' until you elaborated on it.

It is apparently common with the MT90 in the Speed3's and doesn't do any harm apparently. I can't remember the specific reason why it makes this noise, as it was a long time ago that I read about it, but it is well covered in the Mazdaspeed forums. Perhaps someone can chime in that does remember.

My Speed does the exact same thing with the MT90 and I hear it more when the car is cold and I'm moving slowly and having to pull in/out of parking areas and tight spaces.

There was a thread on here about a year ago and a Speed owner who was all freaked out about the noise and removed the MT90. I'd find it for you, but I'm on my BB right now. It is in the speed section here.

Wow, would have never expected that. Thanks.

Would appreciate you linking me to those threads.

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow, would have never expected that. Thanks.

Would appreciate you linking me to those threads.

Here are the threads from here.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?32218-Frustrated...even-thinking-of-trading-my-car!&highlight=mt90

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?31745-Redline-MT-90&highlight=mt90

Do a search on MT90 on here or on the Mazdaspeed forums and it will pull up lots of info.

WeatherB
03-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks again, now I can sleep better at night.

As Fobio put it, it's a "wron-wron-wron" noise. Sounds like it's normal with the MT90.

horto
03-14-2010, 10:54 AM
yeah it's the LSD. when I switched to MT90 my ms3 started making the same noise. something to do with the friction modifiers in the oil. from the research I've done, it isn't a big deal. i suppose if it bugs you, you could swap the MT90 out for that synthetic ford fluid everyone is gushing over.

alhope34
03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Same noise here too. Also have MT-90