PDA

View Full Version : Car doesn't start, where to go this weekend?

coriolis
04-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, my car doesn't start after taking it in and out of the garage when I was cleaning/detailing today. My check engne light has been one for about a week but I was really busy with assignments, papers and field work(arghh), so I didn't get a chance to have it checked. A few days ago, the battery light came on(bah), but I didn't have any problems.

However, now it won't start. The lights turn on, the radio turns on, the speedo and tacho rev up to max and go back down(does it usually do that? I don't pay attention lol) and the starter(I assume) starts to crik crik. It does randomly turn on if I try a few times, but the dashboard will be lit up like a christmas tree. Also when the engine does start, none of the interior lights work(the dash is on but the temperature controls, steering wheel controls don't light up). When I turn the car off, it doesn't start again.

Is this the "STARTER MOTOR WILL NOT CRANK AND ENGINE DOES NOT START" TSB? My car is an 04' so it's out of warranty, and I have a feeling Jimmy will be busy tomorrow, I really need to get the car working on Monday. I have a family friend whos a mechanic who might be able to look at it tomorrow but he doesn't deal with Mazda much. I'm assuming most dealership service departments will be busy as well.

What are my options? At least it stopped working when I was on the driveway. At least its also clean and waxed :chuckle

Thanks!

Default User
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Have your family mechanic guy bring a scan tool to get an OBDII diagnostic read
Or buy one for about $100 (it's good to have anyway)

If you can't start your car - there's no way you can take it to Jimmy or the dealership..unless you tow it.

FLIPDADY
04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Try Speedtech Auto if Jimmy is busy. He's done the no start fix already. If in fact that is your car's problem.

416-293-6887 ask for Andy

coriolis
04-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Have your family mechanic guy bring a scan tool to get an OBDII diagnostic read
Or buy one for about $100 (it's good to have anyway)

If you can't start your car - there's no way you can take it to Jimmy or the dealership..unless you tow it.

It can start after a few tries but I don't think its a good idea, in case it stops in the middle of the street or something. As for the OBDII, I'll look into it.

Try Speedtech Auto if Jimmy is busy. He's done the no start fix already. If in fact that is your car's problem.

416-293-6887 ask for Andy

Thanks.

Default User
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Let us know how it turns out

coriolis
04-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately, I've been busy all weekend and won't be able to get it towed to a mechanic to have them take a look.

Here's a video of what happens if I try to start the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdFPz1hE6g

Here's the car looking pretty, dead, on my driveway, all clean and waxed haha :D

http://i42.tinypic.com/28smsz4.jpg

tommyx2
04-03-2010, 10:44 PM
try cleaning the battery terminals.

something similar happened to my old van, check engine was on, batt light was on, i had the battery checked and it was putting out the normal voltage...i cleaned the connection and it fired up.

gice it a try

coriolis
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
The Terminals are pretty clean.

I had my uncle come today, he connected a booster cable to the two cars(09' Mazda3 GX) and it started, but all the lights were on in the dashboard. Turned it off and did some digging around. He then checked the battery, and looked into it(took the valve cap-like things off), then poured water into it. I was confused but I didn't want to ask, but then he boosted the car again, and the car turned on. All the lights went away but the engine and battery light indicators were still on. He said it was probably the battery in my car being exhausted, that its not mainly the battery, but the alternator not giving the battery any power, which resulted in the battery dying. He was pointing out the alternator with a butt end of the hockey stick, gave it a few bangs, boosted and started up the car. All the lights were gone, took the booster cable off, and everything was running fine. Left the car idling for about 30 miins, and now everything is fine. I hope.

I guess I will need to bring it to get the alternator checked, assuming thats the problem.

McGuyver_3
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
if your battery light is on in most cases the alternator will be cooked. Or if you have a case like i had a little while ago with a friends car the battery and engine light were on simoltaniously. Wheni cleared the engine light the battery light went out at the same time. Because my friend had an intake in her 3 it was causing severe stress on the wiring that is clicked in to the battery. Found broken wires in there repaired them still had problems so i went to a scrap yard and pulled out another maff harness and replaced it with that. Since then car has been running great

coriolis
04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, it seems like it definitely is the alternator. The battery light is now on, the car starts, but the battery light is on. The CEL is not on however. Argh :(

McGuyver_3
04-05-2010, 01:15 AM
you are cheaper off to get a rebuilt alternator then to try and rebuild your own. Even a wrecker alternator will be rather cheap

Default User
04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
go to Ararat in Scarborough - Midland and Ellesmere
Rebuilt alternators and bring in your old one to get some money back

Gizzmo_jr
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
OMG gauge sweep startup!!

Grab a multimeter, DC mode and put it across the terminals of the battery. I should be 14.0-14.4 volts. That's if your alternator is doing its job or not.

2azfe
04-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Your battery sounds drained, so first thing is to get that charged first.

Noisy Crow
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
OMG gauge sweep startup!!

Grab a multimeter, DC mode and put it across the terminals of the battery. I should be 14.0-14.4 volts. That's if your alternator is doing its job or not.

Battery can sit at 14 volts and still be bad. (Although zero volts is definitely bad!). Kinda of like dumping a cup of water off the roof or dumping a 45 gallon barrel of water off of the roof. Same potential... but really different amount of energy being transferred.

coriolis
04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Yeap, its been fixed, had to get a new alternator. Using same battery but it'll need to be replaced sooner or later.

Gizzmo_jr
04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Yeap, its been fixed, had to get a new alternator. Using same battery but it'll need to be replaced sooner or later.
Glad to hear it solved

Battery can sit at 14 volts and still be bad. (Although zero volts is definitely bad!). Kinda of like dumping a cup of water off the roof or dumping a 45 gallon barrel of water off of the roof. Same potential... but really different amount of energy being transferred.
That's why I said alternator, nothing about the battery charge. Talking about the alternator output while the engine is running.

Noisy Crow
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Glad to hear it solved

That's why I said alternator, nothing about the battery charge. Talking about the alternator output while the engine is running.

Ah. Didn't pick that up!