PDA

View Full Version : NO Sporty Fog Lights?

juststarted
04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I am planning to buy a Mazda 3 GS. I did a test drive today, and found out that in the features chart, it said that "NO SPORTY FOG LIGHTS" for GS Model and even not an option.
Does that mean GS Model has no fog light at all?
Is it safe to drive a car without any fog light?

Sorry, I am new to cars.
Thanks a lot.:chuckle

stevenma188
04-03-2010, 11:27 PM
The GS sedan does not come with fogs. Fogs are more for looks, and really don't have any practical function.

tmpz
04-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Not sure about 2010's, but the GS's don't come with fog lights. It's mainly for looks. It's safe without them, otherwise Mazda would get sued :D
I want a set for my GS because it looks a lot better than the plastic fog light covers.

omalak
04-03-2010, 11:48 PM
You can always negotiate with the dealer when buying the car toinclude fog lights in the price.. If not you can find them on ebay and get them installed by a local shop or do it yourself. It is safe to drive without..

Or you can forget the fog lights all together and wire up some led strips to make yourself standout :) lots to do!

juststarted
04-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanx a lot to all you guys replies :)

I thought "sporty fog lights" was different from "fog lights"... and came together within here http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/wanziwanwan/e808d177.jpg(←this is a 2010 GS standard front light)...
looks like i was confused
fog light is for others to see you, i thought that was important :chuckle

Silv3r
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I think OP is mistaken high beams or HE lights with the fogs which are the second row of lights underneath your bumper which as others mentioned are more for show than anything.

-RJ3-
04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
The GS has the "fog light ready" harnesses.

All you need to do is buy the oem fog lights for the gs, either a switch, or replace your existing stock headlight switch (recommended clean look)

NEXTMOD has specials on the fogs I think...

grex
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
my mazda was the first vehicle i owned with fog lights and they are useless lol, they look awesome but dont do anything, I got caught in the worst fog ive ever seen going up north late one night, I couldnt see 2 feet in front of me and when i turned off and on my fog lights i didnt see a difference lol

bluntman
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I am new to cars.
Thanks a lot.:chuckle

Stay off of the sidewalks.

Mistro
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
If anything, they light up the area immediately infront of your car quite a bit more than just normal lights do. But i'd agree that it's more just for looks ... and man do they make a difference there ;)

Wix
10-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Fog lights are brutally worthless, so yes, it's safe to drive without them.

The Mazda3 GS Sport has fog lights, the GS Sedan does not -- and contrary to what you've been told or read, you can add them for several hundred extra.

How much is several hundreds? I would like them installed by the dealer for the baller factor.

Chuckie
10-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Buy them from Flipdady at MoT, and maybe you can ask him to install it for you as well (Im pretty sure he did one before)...
or go to street performance.

You're not going to void any warranties or anything, don't bother with the dealer install.

If you do this, I figure you can come in at around 400.
$500 if you want HID fogs.

bluemazda3
10-09-2010, 08:08 AM
got mine from Peter.. it was pretty cheap too!

rukus
10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
to add my bit, the mazda 3 fog are practically useless. however, properly installed and aimed foggies can be invaluable. i only have one eye, and have some trouble driving at night. after adding piaa fogs and aiming them right, they became an excellent addition.

stevenma188
10-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I just want to add that removing the bulb shield SIGNIFICANTLY increases the output of the fog lights. I had my car parked side by side with another 3, and my fogs were noticeably brighter than the other one, even though I'm using Nokya Yellow bulbs, which have worse output than stock halogens.

standsideways
10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
How much is several hundreds? I would like them installed by the dealer for the baller factor.

"baller factor" ???? there is not a single "baller" feature to mazda 3's, and getting fogs installed in a 2 second deal.

unclip fog light blank, clip in new OE fog light where delete panel came from, and connect the bulb to the factory supplied plug

youll need a switch too but thats just as easy as the lamp install, and since you dont have fogs, you should have 3 or 4 blanks where switches would go, to the left of your steering wheel :)

McGuyver_3
10-11-2010, 04:48 PM
"baller factor" ???? there is not a single "baller" feature to mazda 3's, and getting fogs installed in a 2 second deal.

unclip fog light blank, clip in new OE fog light where delete panel came from, and connect the bulb to the factory supplied plug

youll need a switch too but thats just as easy as the lamp install, and since you dont have fogs, you should have 3 or 4 blanks where switches would go, to the left of your steering wheel :)

You sir are referring to aftermarket fog switches the oem ones are on the light switch itself.

As for all you people complaining fogs are useless have you ever stopped to think that 10 minutes of your time could make them actually function?
simply jack up the front of your car using proper jacks take the 3 screws out for the splash shield cover so you can access the adjustment screw for the fog lights.

***********************MAKE SURE TO LUBE THE HELL OUT OF THESE SCREWS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO MOVE THEM. THE ALUMINUM CASING AND THE METAL SCREWS ARE A DEADLY MIXTURE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK THESE SCREWS***********************

Simply be parked on flat ground infront of a wall several feet away and aim the fogs upwards. Once in a spot you want them at lock the screws back in to place and GUESS WHAT? Your fogs are now functional

TheMAN
10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
my mazda was the first vehicle i owned with fog lights and they are useless lol, they look awesome but dont do anything, I got caught in the worst fog ive ever seen going up north late one night, I couldnt see 2 feet in front of me and when i turned off and on my fog lights i didnt see a difference lol

they're useless if you have the headlights on at the same time... do the indy fog mod and then disable the DRLs during fog, and you will see their usefulness... not great, but you can see a bit more distance than "2 feet"
fog lights are designed for a wide low beam in front of the car, they're not driving lights... that's why they won't ever make any difference for normal road illumination..... what is fog and what does it do? a mist of water that hangs so low that it's in your face, so obviously you want light as low as possible to "cut through" the fog

Freakzaz
01-07-2011, 10:40 PM
The 2010 Mazda 3 GS sedan doesn't have fogs but the Sport GS (hatch) has them standard. Also, it isn't "dangerous" to not have fog lights, but it does help in foggy situations. Like many others have said its more for the looks in which I agree and I turn them on when it starts to get dark.

McGuyver_3
01-08-2011, 12:36 AM
fogs on these cars are useless unless you adjust them like i explained. If it were dangerous not to have them manufacturers would be obligated to instal them on every car

rgray
01-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Just like TheMAN stated above... on our cars these are purely cosmetic. Doing the indy fog mod and turning the headlamps off during heavy fog would be the best way to actually use them for their intended purpose... but this might not be legal depending on where you are... probably why Mazda doesn't give us the option by default. Aiming them up or removing a shield will sure make them brighter, but can't that also blind/distract oncoming drivers? It really grinds my gears when someone has shittily aimed HID's and are in the oncoming lane (or directly behind me).

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Front_fog_lamps)
Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[10][11][12] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow.

McGuyver_3
01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
heres a perefect example what fogs are for. Have you ever driven on a stretch of road, heavy snow and without street lights? You have your headlights on and you have trouble seeing. You turn your highbeams on and notice the visibility gets worse. Now you go down 1 click to parking lights and fogs and all of a sudden you start seeing properly. BUT Mazda does not aim the fogs properly and they just aim straight at the ground rendering them useless. Now for some reason mazda does not allow the fogs to come on with only the parking lights as the trigger comes from the headlights.

Rapster
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm gunna be going against the majority here and say that yes, fogs do work for their intended purpose. I think alot of people assume fog lights will toss out tonnes of light up ahead and make the road so much brighter, but actually they're not designed for that. As stated by McGuyver, when aimed correctly and also upgraded bulbs help (yellow cuts through fog better than white). They're supposed to light up the ditch and assist in seeing the road surface in foggy/snow storm conditions, not really far ahead of you like your highs/lows. Normal headlights, when used in fog/snow, will scatter the light alot more and you can't see infront of you.

Run low beams and fog lamps in snow/fog and you'll notice they work. Eliminate your healights and run just fog lights and you'll notice a further view distance than with lowbeams/fogs. Not extremely bright, but light casted further.
If you're driving on a clear night and are switching between high and low beams you're not gunna notice anything from the fog lights since you're used to seeing a heck of alot more light infront of you, especially when your high beams are on.

McGuyver_3
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
problem is mazda does not allow you to have the fogs on with the parking lights on by themselves rendering the fogs a complete waste. Unless of course you do the indy fog mod