PDA

View Full Version : PBR Ultimate Ceramics or Hawk HPS? Which flavour?

bhrm
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Time for new brake pads!

Its going on my Mazda 3 GT hatch. I do alot of road trips through very awesome roads, right now 60% city, 40% highway and possibly one track day this year.

I want something that will last me another 95,000km as the OEM ones did.

Thoughts?

I only have experience with the PBR Semi Ceramics and I liked them on my old VW Jetta.

whodaman
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I have the PBR's on my '05 GT now, and they are squeezing Magnum cross drilled rotors....at the start they were super grippy, after about 8000 clicks on them they are now squeeling like crazy for some reason just as i touch the pedal. However if i need to stop fast, these things will send everything not tied down in your car up through the windshield!!
Overall i am happy with them.

m3zoomzoom
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
the HPS pads as far as i know are pretty good on the 3s.. im gonna pick up a set soon... but if you're perfectly satisfied with the OEMS why not just stick with them?

loganm3
04-09-2010, 02:49 AM
I just got a set of hawks from Nextmod....simply awesome. Good price and great all around brake. I drive a steady mix of city/highway, I've put about 1000km on them in the past week and they feel way better than OEM. I picked up the GB for $360 with magnum rotors.

Hawks are also great for trackdays (as per my mechanic) the hotter they get the better they will be. I also have Hawk's on my little GTX and they stop real nice during all the test and tuning I have done.

As for lifespan of 95000km....if you do trackdays kiss that goodbye.

+1 if you like the OEM's, stick with them.....from a price standpoint I think Hawk's and OEM's are about the same as per my parts guy....too bad his rotors were so much and thats why Nextmod got my business

MajesticBlueNTO
04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Time for new brake pads!

Its going on my Mazda 3 GT hatch. I do alot of road trips through very awesome roads, right now 60% city, 40% highway and possibly one track day this year.

I want something that will last me another 95,000km as the OEM ones did.

Thoughts?

I only have experience with the PBR Semi Ceramics and I liked them on my old VW Jetta.

the PBR Ultimates will be good for daily driving and should last quite a while.

If you're going to do some track events, I'd say the Hawk HPS would be a good choice as i've used those pads for both track and daily driving in the old 3 GT sedan. The HPS held up well to 20-30 consecutive minutes of hard driving around Mosport DDT (multiple times in 1 day) without fade.