PDA

View Full Version : RSB - End Links Not Tight Enough

gularti
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey,

I installed my Progress RSB this weekend and I have rattling noise from the RSB because the nuts on the end links appear to be loose. I've tightend them twice already and both times that I've gone back under the car, their loose.

What's the best way to avoid this happening? Am I suppose to torque them with a torque wrench and deep socket or add lock tight? I tightened them as best I can with a wrench and allen key because it has that slot on the end for the allen key.

Any suggestions? Thanks everybody.

Thanks.

froggy
04-19-2010, 12:45 PM
you will need to get spacers, that fit between the endlinks and the brackets so that they will stay tight. They should have them where you picked up your sway bar.

gularti
04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
you will need to get spacers, that fit between the endlinks and the brackets so that they will stay tight. They should have them where you picked up your sway bar.

Thanks for the reply - I was informed that no spacers are required for this Progress RSB.

gularti
04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Sorry to not include the details of my car:
2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT

S.F.W.
04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply - I was informed that no spacers are required for this Progress RSB.

you were informed incorrectly.

gularti
04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
you were informed incorrectly.

Ok - S.F.W. ... can you provide details for what I would need to firm this up without issue then?

I grabbed the Progress RSB off Supershyguy and I just used everything that was in the box.

gularti
04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Forgot to ask anybody that's reading this ... what did anybody with a aftermarket RSB torque the bolts to?

Nick
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
they spin, you need to fit an allen key in them and a 14mm iirc

gularti
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
they spin, you need to fit an allen key in them and a 14mm iirc

Yeah, I did the whole allen key and 14mm ... they still spin. I don't get it ...

Maybe I need to do lock washers and new bolts like I saw on other threads related to RSB's?

cwp_sedan
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
You will NOT require spacers for the Progress Rear sway bar. It is made specifically for the 04-06 Mazda 3. Do not tighten the end link bolts while having the car jacked up or on jack stands. This may cause your end links to clunk.

All I did was get some new nuts from the dealer and tighten them up as much as I could by hand. I never used a torque wrench or anything else. They have been snug for 2 years.

Where do you live?

gularti
04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
You will NOT require spacers for the Progress Rear sway bar. It is made specifically for the 04-06 Mazda 3. Do not tighten the end link bolts while having the car jacked up or on jack stands. This may cause your end links to clunk.

All I did was get some new nuts from the dealer and tighten them up as much as I could by hand. I never used a torque wrench or anything else. They have been snug for 2 years.

Where do you live?

I'm located in Whitby, and thanks for the advice. I'm purchasing some new nuts from the dealer on Thursday because this clunking is driving me insane.

cwp_sedan
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm located in Whitby, and thanks for the advice. I'm purchasing some new nuts from the dealer on Thursday because this clunking is driving me insane.

Hopefully they help.

gularti
04-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Hopefully they help.

I think its just a novice mistake on my part because I'm not 100% savvy working on my car. I'm going to replace the new nuts, and add lock tight to the thread and firmly tighten them with a 14mm and allen key.

If that doesn't work ... then the RSB may take a cow launch off a cliff.

bubba1983
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
5 years, 2 different bars, and countless suspension changes later...ive yet to hear/have any problems...if you use locktite, do yourself a favor and use blue, not red locktite...

m_bisson
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
UGH fml.. I had to take some red apart once from my HPA bottle (for paintball) when I was replacing a reg. and it was one of the most frustrating experiences i've ever had. Blue loctite is more than enough for anything on this planet lol.