PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Point Rear Sway Bar Review

Iceman_F1
04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Tri-Point Rear Sway Bar Review

Setup before getting swaybars - 2008.5 GT Hatch Lowered on Pro-Kits, Katana Ninja NJ02 rims with General Exclaim UHP 205/50/17 tires

I drove after work to pickup the Tri-Point RSB from Peter at NextMod figuring with the giant AA meet that day, I'd be in the area and would be the best time to pick up the RSB and get them installed. I took the 407 to Woodbine which means I was turning right onto York Tech and got a good baseline from that turn and the subsequent left turn before I got them installed for a good comparison.

No issues picking them up from Peter. Was in and out within 10 min and on my way to Street Performance. Noticed that the Tri-points were a bit bigger/heavier than I was thinking. Not that that is a bad thing! After waiting until around 6 to get Jimmy to install, I was in and getting everything swapped. I got them put on the lightest/lowest setting to start off with. Jimmy had no problems getting the endlink on one side but he had to loosen the other to get it on. On and no problems from there.

While I was at Jimmy's, Mty Mous showed up and chatted with him and Jimmy. He had the Tri-points for about 1 year now and he went to the stiffest setting already. Found that while the lowest setting has some improvements, it really gets good in the mid to high settings. Jimmy had expressed that he didn't really like the way Tri-Point had the ends welded and thought they might not hold up compared to others however Mty Mous has had no issues in 1 year and he drives the car hard. It all depends how the ends were put on before welding and what might be strengthening it that can't be seen.

Ended up driving back to NextMod to wait for the AA meet and tested again with the same 2 corners to see a difference. Pretty big difference already even at the lowest setting. Felt like the car had less roll and I felt more in control. Since then, I've tested it out when I could on my normal route. So far can take corners a lot better than I could with just the pro-kits. Can't wait to see what it's like on the middle or high setting but I'll keep it at this setting for awhile before jumping up.

When I put the old sway bar in my garage for storage, I was surprised how small it looked and felt compared to the Tri-Point so that's a real big plus that this one feels sturdy. One of the reasons I got this one was the price compared to others I was looking at and the fact it had 3 settings to choose from.

Nextmod
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
thanks for the review =)

glad you liked it =)

Iceman_F1
04-20-2010, 04:19 PM
thanks for the review =)

glad you liked it =)

Even on the lightest/lowest setting, it's great. Can't wait till I go up to the next setting...but figure keep this setting a bit longer.

AkoSiGloc9
04-21-2010, 05:21 AM
would this fit a 2010 M3 Sedan? i want to get a front and rear

Iceman_F1
04-21-2010, 08:53 AM
would this fit a 2010 M3 Sedan? i want to get a front and rear

Can't be 100% sure, but according to Tri-Point's site, it lists it as "2004-2010 Mazda 3 Tri-Point Rear Adjustable Sway Bar". Best bet would to ask them directly.

mazdilla
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Tri-Point Rear Sway Bar Review

One of the reasons I got this one was the price compared to others I was looking at and the fact it had 3 settings to choose from.

My point exactly... Tri Point. (Three points, get it?) Room for error, without breaking the bank.

Donutz
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Thought I'd throw in my 0.02 on this thread since I had my bar installed last night. As always, I have to state that I did not break any speed limits and I don't condone speeding or street racing.

I have prokits, mazdaspeed accessory struts/shocks, racingbeat swaybar kit with upgraded bushings / brackets, and an spc rear camber kit set to -1.5* camber / 0* toe. For those that don't know, Racingbeat's swaybar kit is designed with a thicker front bar than the rear which = understeer. I bought the Tripoint RSB to balance out the Racingbeat FSB.

I have the TP set to the middle setting which is roughly 50 lbs / inch heavier than the RB FSB, and about 80 lbs heavier than the RB RSB. At the limit the car starts to loosen up fairly evenly (front vs. rear) and understeer is reduced. I expected the rear to step out more than it does (perhaps it will at the max setting), but in a turn greater than 90* the car gently and evenly drifted outwards from the apex (off throttle on mildly rough surface); I didn't feel a sense of great amounts of understeer or the back getting lose, there was just a feeling of balance (I hope that makes sense). On throttle before the apex understeer returns, which is what I expected. Under the limit the car rotates much better and the same sense of front / rear balance is felt. The best way I can describe the feeling is where, with the RB RSB the car felt like it was really loading up on the outside front tire under hard cornering and pushing beyond this point resulted in understeer, it now feels like the car feels stable and flatter, it keeps turning in and the rear is following along almost in the tracks of the front wheels. Also, the point at which I used to experience understeer is no longer the same. Overall, I need more seat time to see where the line is between loading up the outside front tire is and understeer (or oversteer).

Time will tell how this bar stands up to use and weather but so far I'm pleased with the look, feel, and handling of the bar. I'd recommend this to anyone who a) wants to run a RSB only; or b) anyone who wants to balance out some of the characteristics of a front bar.

BMWWW
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi Jason,

If you really want to have some fun (in your dream world of course), try some lift-oversteer (when braking) and for even more fun, air up the rear tires a few psi in conjunction with the aforementioned.:chuckle

m_bisson
04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
mazda 3s tend to be a little squirrelly in the rear stock from the factory anyways... at least that's my experience... (shh don't tell the cops). How much would a fsb/rsb combo work for the stock shock setup (no lowering or anything)?

Tokic_o
04-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Putting in my experience with this rear sway bar.

Tested it out at the track this past weekend and the rear sway bar (set at the 2nd setting) was extremely noticeable and effective. The car felt much more capable of taking turns at higher speeds and a huge difference was easily noticeable when driving with other mazda 3s without the sway bar.

Extremely happy with the TP RSB.

Mr. Scruples
04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
mazda 3s tend to be a little squirrelly in the rear stock from the factory anyways... at least that's my experience... (shh don't tell the cops). How much would a fsb/rsb combo work for the stock shock setup (no lowering or anything)?

This is what I'd like to know.

I'm interested in tightening up handling as much as possible without swapping out the stock shocks. Kind of counterproductive, I know, but I live downtown where the roads are beyond shitty, and the stock shocks are already harsh enough for my taste.

mazdilla
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm installing a Hotchkiss FSB/AWR endlinks, and the TRi Point RSB with TP endlinks. (Pro Kits, Camber Kit, Koni Yellows).

What do you guys suggest the best setting on the rear bar should be for this combo?

I live right near the Picton Airport and Shannonville, so ya, I'll be tracking it this summer.

Oh! And what would be the best camber/caster setting as well?

I do drive this car daily as well.

Thanks!

Fobio
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm installing a Hotchkiss FSB/AWR endlinks, and the TRi Point RSB with TP endlinks. (Pro Kits, Camber Kit, Koni Yellows).

What do you guys suggest the best setting on the rear bar should be for this combo?

I live right near the Picton Airport and Shannonville, so ya, I'll be tracking it this summer.

Thanks!

I plan to run the RSB in the middle setting. And the Yellows I plan to run rear 50%. Mind you I have a different set-up, but with similar goals.

baymoe
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks!

Had a set of Hotchkis F and R bar setup previously. I'm currently running on a rear Tri point bar alone and would suggest to start off with middle if paired with the Hotchkis front as that's one stiff sucka. Do you happen to have the reinforced brackets for those front bars (triangular piece that is welded between the u-shape and the piece where the bolt goes through)? I had an earlier set which didn't have it and it literally deformed the bracket beyond salvage. Ask Jimmy about it if you're getting it installed at Street Performance.

mazdilla
04-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Had a set of Hotchkis F and R bar setup previously. I'm currently running on a rear Tri point bar alone and would suggest to start off with middle if paired with the Hotchkis front as that's one stiff sucka. Do you happen to have the reinforced brackets for those front bars (triangular piece that is welded between the u-shape and the piece where the bolt goes through)? I had an earlier set which didn't have it and it literally deformed the bracket beyond salvage. Ask Jimmy about it if you're getting it installed at Street Performance.

What is this animal that you speak of?

Do you have pics or a part#?

dimsumboi05
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
just curious if any '10 have given this a try yet?

taz4432
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I got this installed last week and went straight to max setting. The difference isn't really that noticeable unless I'm really pushing it (highway on/off ramps are great for this) and even then not anywhere near as much as I had been led to believe/expected.

taz4432
05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Managed to get some of that oversteer going today. At least it works like it's supposed to! =P