PDA

View Full Version : koni red vs yellow help please!!

g_tsb
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey toronto, I have eibach prokit springs installed on my stock shocks, and i want aftermarket shocks.

I was told koni red or yellows would be good for pro kit springs..

wanted to know if you guys can help me know the difference between the red and yellows.

ideally, i would like my car a bit lower than it already is, with a bouncy feeling to it..

marteau
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I think the red one is not advalable for mazda3

condor888000
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM
ideally, i would like my car a bit lower than it already is, with a bouncy feeling to it..

Um...the purpose of struts is to control the oscillation of the springs, not increase it. Also, the only way the car will get lower when you change struts is if the spring perch is in a different position.

And Koni makes the FSD's or Yellow's for the 3. Nothing else. KYB has the GR-2's, and there are also a couple option from Bilstein.

Effin Itai
05-09-2010, 11:59 AM
What is close to stock, the Koni (Yellow) or the FSD? Also I need input on the KYB's? Do I need the stock strut mounts cause my existing ones are toast!

S.F.W.
05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
What is close to stock, the Koni (Yellow) or the FSD? Also I need input on the KYB's? Do I need the stock strut mounts cause my existing ones are toast!

The FSD's are close to stock, but perform better. Not sure about the KYB's. Yes, you need the stock strut mounts. Are you sure it is your strut mount's that are toast? The mounts are metal, and very hard to damage. More likely you need to replace your bump stops, which can be purchased from Joe for ~$40.

condor888000
05-09-2010, 04:06 PM
The KYB GR-2's are basically stock replacements.

Effin Itai
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Okay, now regarding the above 2 posts. You guys mention that both are close to stock. It's either one or the other. lol. The strut mounts are toast, this is what is coming from the mechanic from the dealership. They know theses cars inside out. The strut mount is a bearing assembly which allows the strut to rotate in it's housing. When I was turning the wheels, this is what I though was the problem. I was hearing a clicking noise and thought it was the steering when it wasn't. Now it has become an expensive nightmare.

S.F.W.
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
If you want equivalent to stock, go with the KYB's. If you want to improve the strut performance and ride comfort, go with the FSD's. I ran Koni FSD's with prokits for ~2 years, and really like the combination. When it's time to have the work completed, I hope you aren't planning to go back to the dealer.