PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Engine Bay Area

colinchrisc
05-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I popped the hood yesterday and realized that there was a ton of small leaves / buds scattered around the engine bay and in the little grooves which are unreachable to clean out. I was just wondering what everyone else does to clean this or does it not really matter? I just don't want particles getting into the ventilation system or other areas.

ericssonfan
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm also interested in cleaning this area. Dust/dirt buildup and leaf stems, etc. I would suggest a can of compressed air like the ones they use to blow off dust inside pc's. Would that be safe?

mazdaskit
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
just use a pressure washer just cover your intake (if you have one) and your alternator with a towel and go crazy lol

cwp_sedan
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I would never use a pressure washer, as there is just too much force. I would just find some mild degreaser and spray it on everything, Scrub anything that is stubborn and won't come off easily with a brush. Then use a garden hose to spray it off. Run the motor for a bit to let it dry out.

+1 on covering up anything mentioned above.

htc***
05-05-2010, 11:21 AM
http://walmart.crosscap.ca/cms-portal/cmscontroller?size=2&width=500&height=500&command=filetransfer.ServletgetScaledLargeThumbnai lFile&imageid=95793

Buy this one from WM for $90 and uses it to clean

mazdaskit
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I would never use a pressure washer, as there is just too much force. I would just find some mild degreaser and spray it on everything, Scrub anything that is stubborn and won't come off easily with a brush. Then use a garden hose to spray it off. Run the motor for a bit to let it dry out.

+1 on covering up anything mentioned above.

when i did detailing for my co op in highschool thats how they did it lol on a low pressure and dont spray right on the covered parts but id use a hose

cwp_sedan
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
when i did detailing for my co op in highschool thats how they did it lol on a low pressure and dont spray right on the covered parts but id use a hose

A low setting would be ok but nothing too crazy.

BMWWW
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Degreaser and a fan spray attachment via pressure washer would be best.

Why pressure washer (with the important, fan spray)?--there's actually a lot less chance of getting water where it should be, because there's less pressure at a distance, with the fan spray. Additionally, a lot of the spray is comprised of air, and not strictly water like a regular hose attachment.

After wiping up large puddles, be sure to start up the engine to confirm you didn't f-anything up, and keep it running with the hood down to evaporate some of the water.

-G

seelsy
05-05-2010, 02:35 PM
im not very engine mechanically inclined, can anyone tell me how i can tell which part is my alternator?

mazdaskit
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.2carpros.com/discovery/images/alternator.jpg

seelsy
05-09-2010, 11:55 AM
perfect thanks a lot :)

bunchi
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I use pressure washer in lower pressure mode, fan mode (you know what i mean :chuckle), i just do a few passes just to get the dirt out. Pick up the leaves and buds by hand, wipe dry what i can and i apply armour-all on all rubber and plastic parts i can see. Cover the alternator and intake, of course. For me a few passes with the pressure washer is enough since i do this regularly so there's really not much dirt buildup in there. Pic of my engine bay in the members rides section :)

standsideways
05-09-2010, 02:06 PM
engine shampoo + pressure wash...thats what detailing shops do,and thats what dealerships do.

sometimes they will scrape off thick layers of dirt/grime,with a acrylic/plastic chisel of some sorts before they pressurewash/shampoo

as long as you make sure your Throttle body is covered youll be fine.

MRT_MS3
05-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Cover up your FuseBox, Alternator and Intake. Do not use pressure washer as you can damage some of the wiring and could cause serious damage on the car. A garden hose is fine and if you have a compressor, blow it off with compressed air. I usually do this on a warm day so it can dry through out. Also make sure the exhause manifold is not too hot to the touch as it can crack when sprayed with water...

aris
05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
1. make sure engine is cool
2. Spray a either a all purpse cleaner or even a degreaser (depending how dirty)
3. Let sit for a minute or two
4. Use brush for the hard to reach areas
5. Then rince off with garden hose (pressure washer is not needed)
6. Start up car and let idle for a few minutes to dry
7. If you want you can dress all the plastics

Kaptain Sloth
07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
1. make sure engine is cool
2. Spray a either a all purpse cleaner or even a degreaser (depending how dirty)
3. Let sit for a minute or two
4. Use brush for the hard to reach areas
5. Then rince off with garden hose (pressure washer is not needed)
6. Start up car and let idle for a few minutes to dry
7. If you want you can dress all the plastics

What would you use to dress the plastics? I just cleaned my engine bay this past weekend and was wondering (hoping) that I could use the same thing I used on the platics inside my car..... but I wasn't sure. Can anyone confirm this?

Dan Da Man
07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I always do it when the engines warm, lightly spray with water then spray a cleaner, let it sit then, possibly scrub if there is a lot of dirt then power wash the hell out of it. been doing the same method on dozens of cars, never had a problem. Everyone has there own technique.

aris
07-05-2010, 04:34 PM
What would you use to dress the plastics? I just cleaned my engine bay this past weekend and was wondering (hoping) that I could use the same thing I used on the platics inside my car..... but I wasn't sure. Can anyone confirm this?

I just use what i use on my dash..I'm going to clean my engine bay when i come back from Greece...i will post pics for you