PDA

View Full Version : 65K with Pro-Kits and Stock Shocks - Shocks almost done?

sudz
05-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Hey all!

On a straight, Relatively smooth road - My car drives like a dream.
On the gardiner/QEW/anywhere in hamilton, It chatters, "bounces" and feels like its going to bottom out way to easily. Potholes (when I can't avoid them) make the entire car rattle with such vigor that I apologize to anyone in the car, As well as my car itself.

How long do stock shocks typically last when running Eibach Pro-Kits?

Thanks

ericssonfan
05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I hit some crazy potholes that I can't avoid sometimes and I cringe when I go over it.. It feels like that pothole and that pothole alone is enough to knock me off alignment or bust shocks.. Man, some Toronto roads suck!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my shocks last until about this time next year when I'll be upgrading my shocks.

I would also like the know the answer to this q.

Soyabean
05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
I really think the life of the stock shocks depend on the road conditions of regular driving. Of course lowering it on prokits will reduce the life of the shocks compared to keeping it on stock springs since it is now compressed a bit more. But it goes from people to people.

For me personally, i like in Brampton near the new houses. Theres this 1 street that constantly is being fixed and expanded upon. The roads are lumpy with some pot holes that they fix 1 day and a new one appears the next. I dont think my shocks will last very long as i drive on these roads at least twice a day.

On the other hand, Mazdakitten has over 200k on her car and running stechs and stock shocks. I dont think she ran them for the full 200k but i can safely assume she has had them for at least 100k. She is still running fine and the compression on the stechs are way more than the prokits.

So the lifetime of the stock shock is really hard to explain is it is variable from person to person

Noisy Crow
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
When shocks are gone the car will heave all over the place...

Easy way to check is to push down on one corner of the car with a hard, quick push (don't dent a panel doing it) and see how the car rebounds. It should just just return to level, without any ocscillations. A bad strut / shock will let the corner bounce a few times before returning to level.

As far as hitting pot holes with a bang: I have brand new (<1500 km) Prokits and Mazdaspeed accessorie shocks and struts... there is strip of cut-out and replaced pavement on Hwy 10 (somewhere between the 407 around Derry) that I always forget about, and always get a good "bang" when I it run across it. So while it does abuse the shocks, the bang is not a sign of failing shocks....