PDA

View Full Version : Sigma Racing: Time Attack (4 track events)

-cj-
05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey guys,

A friend of a friend is organizing some track events at Mosport DDT. Here's the details:

Sigma Racing Time Attack (SRTA) is hosting 4 track events in 2010 at Mosport DDT. Unlike other lapping days, we will provide you with your own personal lap timer for 6 solid hours of Test and Tune, while displaying a running leader board. There is an Official Time Attack at the end of every event, and great cash prizes will be awarded to the fastest racers. SRTA offers you many other great perks and bonuses, learn about them in the information page.

*All photographs were taken by SRTA members while attending previous track events hosted by Onyx Syndicate.

They have a great website setup at: http://www.sigmatimeattack.com

Entry fee is only $165 if you pre-register. Regular price is $200. You can only pre-register 8 days before an event.

Nice thing about this event is they limit the number of cars allowed. They are only allowing 45 cars per event. Check out the website for more details!

There's going to be a few Mazda RX[7/8]'s out there and I kind of told them there would be some interest from the Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 guys... So hopefully a few of us make it out there to represent!

Fobio
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
May 30

1. Fobio (paid)
2. MBNTO (paid)
3. taz (?)

taz4432
05-26-2010, 12:44 PM
May 30

1. Fobio (paid)
2. MBNTO (paid)
3. Taz (Paid)

Cya guys there!

What tools/etc. are you guys planning to bring, if any?

MajesticBlueNTO
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
May 30

1. Fobio (paid)
2. MBNTO (paid)
3. Taz (Paid)

Cya guys there!

hopefully -cj- or other MZ3/MS3 drivers will make it out as well :)

What tools/etc. are you guys planning to bring, if any?

from the list on Sigma's site, i bolded some stuff that I brought to track days before:

- Tire Pressure gauge, pyrometer etc
- Tools: socket wrench set, wrenches, torque wrench, lug nut socket, zip ties etc
- Additional engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, WD40/PB Blaster etc
- Water or a hydration device, snacks, food etc.
- Towels, change of clothing, sunscreen
- Duct Tape, mechanics gloves
- Camera, camera mount

- aluminium jack

taz4432
05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Ahh...I don't have much with me here in Belleville and I won't be going home this weekend so all I have is a small tool kit, a battery powered compressor (slow as hell for car tires) and possibly some oil if there's a bit left when I do my oil change tomorrow.

I'm hoping/thinking that I won't need much else.

It'd be great to see some more members out!

Fobio
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Ahh...I don't have much with me here in Belleville and I won't be going home this weekend so all I have is a small tool kit, a battery powered compressor (slow as hell for car tires) and possibly some oil if there's a bit left when I do my oil change tomorrow.

I'm hoping/thinking that I won't need much else.

It'd be great to see some more members out!

we all have basic tools with us...no need for a compressor...travel light, have fun! bring lawn chairs...lol...

taz4432
05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
we all have basic tools with us...no need for a compressor...travel light, have fun! bring lawn chairs...lol...

Hahaha...alright. Gotta remember to leave out my spare and all that other crap. What do you guys usually do with your tools and stuff while you're on the track?

Also, I suppose I should bring a gas canister? I don't think a full tank will be anywhere near suffice for a day of lapping, and I'm running just a regular 3. You guys will probably need 3 tanks if you're out most of the day.

-cj-
05-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Unfortunately I can't make the first event, way too many things happening this weekend that I absolutely can't get out of... Plus my helmet is on backorder :(

It's too bad because it looks like a great turn out so far!!

Fobio
05-30-2010, 07:34 PM
MS3 1st and 2nd in Class B! =)

Can't wait til the next one!

-cj-
05-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Right on! Congrats... How was the event?

Fobio
05-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Right on! Congrats... How was the event?

it was pretty chill...the had beers in the cooler, I swear, tho we did not partake...haha...

6-hrs of test and tune...no sessions, makes for great lapping as well.

schooling porsches...priceless...

MajesticBlueNTO
05-31-2010, 04:06 PM
results are posted! (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/?page_id=22)

congrats to Fobio who drove so fast his tires couldn't keep up....imagine what you would've got the 2nd hot lap...1:10.xx?! :)

Official Time Attack Results (Group B)

Position Team/Driver Name Car Time
1 Fobio 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Grey 01:11.18
2 Majestic Blue 2008 Mazda MS3 Red 01:12.02
3 Jason S 2006 Honda S2000 Silver 01:12.92
4 Dominic Alie 2008 Toyota Yaris White 01:13.57
5 James Won 1999 Honda Civic Blue 01:15.16
6 Sheref I. 1999 BMW 323IS Green 01:15.31
7 Jakub S. 1999 Mazda Miata Black 01:16.76
8 Patrick Burdon 1987 Mazda RX-7 Black 01:17.23
9 Salomon Ponte 2006 Mazda3 Sport Blue 01:19.16
10 Larry Donovan 2005 Mazda RX-8 Purple 01:19.54
11 Craig Wilson 2004 VW Golf GL Silver 01:19.93
12 Nick Asuncion 1995 Nissan 200SX White 01:20.10
13 Joe Mochizuki 1993 Honda Civic Red 01:23.76
14 Arthur Tupaz 2002 VW Jetta GLI Black 01:24.41
15 John Zgaljic 2008 Infinity G35X White DNF

-cj-
05-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Hahah beautiful... Fobio with the fastest Grey Mazda3 in North America!

Edit: And 2nd fastest time over all for the day! Not bad!! Was the driver of the Lotus great or is the car really THAT good? ;) Super 7?? That's hardcore...

taz4432
05-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Hahah beautiful... Fobio with the fastest Grey Mazda3 in North America!

Edit: And 2nd fastest time over all for the day! Not bad!! Was the driver of the Lotus great or is the car really THAT good? ;) Super 7?? That's hardcore...

Uh-oh..now you're gonna get him mad. It's BLUE! =P Ahahaha

Fobio
05-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for keeping me honest all day long MBNTO! You're down a boatload of power and yet were keeping up...thank goodness we all made up another second due to adrenaline and balls to the wall driving...I don't know if the results between you and I will be the same at the next event...game on! =)

-cj-...thanks for getting us stoked about this...you really need to come out next time and claim the REAL fastest grey MS3 title!...btw, which one of the organizers do you know? they were all pretty cool, and I think I/we fit their bill: low end cars, high end drivers... ;)

taz...thanks for keeping me incognito by being real blue Mazda3...it is the fastest colour! lol

EDIT: the Lotus Super 7 was a kit car, I think it had a Toyota engine in it, not sure now...ironically, the builder went to ILR track school with me 2 yrs ago, but then sold the car...and 2 yrs later, we meet again at the same track...that car was sandbagging all day long, when you check the test and tune times...1:23.xx...then busts out a 1:07.xx for TA...lol...

-cj-
05-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Uh-oh..now you're gonna get him mad. It's BLUE! =P Ahahaha

LOL, just poking fun at the description for his car on the Sigma site :)

-cj-...thanks for getting us stoked about this...you really need to come out next time and claim the REAL fastest grey MS3 title!...btw, which one of the organizers do you know? they were all pretty cool, and I think I/we fit their bill: low end cars, high end drivers... ;)

EDIT: the Lotus Super 7 was a kit car, I think it had a Toyota engine in it, not sure now...ironically, the builder went to ILR track school with me 2 yrs ago, but then sold the car...and 2 yrs later, we meet again at the same track...that car was sandbagging all day long, when you check the test and tune times...1:23.xx...then busts out a 1:07.xx for TA...lol...

I actually havent met them yet, I work with one of their friends, Eric. I believe his name is Peter and he drives a crazy RX7, although according to Eric, he's a Honda guy. Eric tells me that next to his other buddy's GT-R, his RX7 is the fastest car he's been in. Makes me cry a little on the inside every time he says that. ;) We'll see what he thinks about the new turbo lol.

Im gonna pre register the moment my helmet comes in. You guys are in for sure right?

MajesticBlueNTO
05-31-2010, 11:57 PM
I actually havent met them yet, I work with one of their friends, Eric. I believe his name is Peter and he drives a crazy RX7, although according to Eric, he's a Honda guy. Eric tells me that next to his other buddy's GT-R, his RX7 is the fastest car he's been in. Makes me cry a little on the inside every time he says that. ;) We'll see what he thinks about the new turbo lol.

Im gonna pre register the moment my helmet comes in. You guys are in for sure right?

Peter is "Function Racing" in the Test and Tune times. He posted a 1:10.95 in the RX7. taz got a ride in the RX7 at the end of the day and was told that it dynoed at 250whp and 250wtq with a flat torque curve (taz, correct me if i'm quoting you wrong).

MajesticBlueNTO
06-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks for keeping me honest all day long MBNTO! You're down a boatload of power and yet were keeping up...thank goodness we all made up another second due to adrenaline and balls to the wall driving...I don't know if the results between you and I will be the same at the next event...game on! =)

taz...thanks for keeping me incognito by being real blue Mazda3...it is the fastest colour! lol

no problem! :) I'm glad we were 1-2 in Group B and in the Top 5 overall. The rear sway in the middle setting was perfect with the stock front bar to rotate the rear end enough to pull through the turns.

If the suspension updates don't come through in time for the next one, I may just have to put on the UR downpipe just to keep up with you :thumbsup

taz...i've got a used set of R-compounds with your name on it...good for knocking off 1.5 to 2 seconds

btw, Fobio, i know the secret to your fast times...it's the carbon fibre roof =)

edit: Peter(RX7) wrote this in an email "I myself was surprised how well the front wheel drive Mazda’s did. We had a few people pre-register for the event on the 27th already and I believe the competition should be a bit more intense." ....like Fobio said, game on! lol

taz4432
06-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Peter is "Function Racing" in the Test and Tune times. He posted a 1:10.95 in the RX7. taz got a ride in the RX7 at the end of the day and was told that it dynoed at 250whp and 250wtq with a flat torque curve (taz, correct me if i'm quoting you wrong).

Yes, this is what I was told by Howard (the car is Howard's, the Asian guy in the Red Ferrari/Racing jacket but Peter and Howard built it together). The car is pretty damn fast and with the racing seats in it your ass is mere inches off the ground. It only weighs around 2800lb so I'm sure you can imagine.

no problem! :) I'm glad we were 1-2 in Group B and in the Top 5 overall. The rear sway in the middle setting was perfect with the stock front bar to rotate the rear end enough to pull through the turns.

If the suspension updates don't come through in time for the next one, I may just have to put on the UR downpipe just to keep up with you :thumbsup

taz...i've got a used set of R-compounds with your name on it...good for knocking off 1.5 to 2 seconds

btw, Fobio, i know the secret to your fast times...it's the carbon fibre roof =)

edit: Peter(RX7) wrote this in an email "I myself was surprised how well the front wheel drive Mazda’s did. We had a few people pre-register for the event on the 27th already and I believe the competition should be a bit more intense." ....like Fobio said, game on! lol

MBNTO, I need rims for those tires! I heard you had a set of white Rotas you wanted to get rid of ;) Haha...any rims I get will be lighter (than stock) so lower unsprung weight + R compounds should make for a good improvement!

If I get around to it I plan to modify my pedal assembly so that the layout works for my style of heel-toe which should also make for some quicker times since I won't have to be in 3rd for the whole track (except the back straight).

I probably need to rebuild my transmission before the next track day to fix the 3rd gear synchro/put in a stronger 3rd but I'll have to see. I need to look into that tranny fluid (the Ford stuff) that you guys raved about.

Can't wait for the next one!

MajesticBlueNTO
06-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Here are some of my videos from the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3hpJfdZb4

Sigma Time Attack 2010 - Test and Tune afternoon session part 1
0 to 2:43 - Sigma Racing 1997 Honda Civic Silver
3:03 to 6:51 - 1993 Honda Civic White
7:00 to 8:15 - 1990 Porsche 911 Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-749Oj-IeaI

Sigma Time Attack 2010 - Test and Tune afternoon session part 2
0 to 5:15 - after yellow flag, 2003 Nissan 350Z Silver
5:33 - cool down lap, appearance by Fobio

Fobio
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Already registered for June 27!

MajesticBlueNTO
06-19-2010, 04:30 PM
looking forward to it...although my car will be the same as the last one so i don't expect to get better times unless i grow a bigger nut sack.

one more video from the last event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8lkpp7IKnY

1:37 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe waves us by
2:24 2005 Mazda RX-8 spins out
4:24 pass the RX-8

-cj-
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Who's confirmed for the 27th? I missed out on the early registration :( :( That's what I get for procrastinating ...

-cj-
06-21-2010, 12:34 AM
1) Fobio
2)
3)
4)
5)

I'm gonna register too, I'm pretty sure, but want to know who else is registered.

taz4432
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
1) Fobio
2) Taz4432
3) MajesticBlueNTO
4)
5)

-cj-
06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Since I already missed the early bird special, I'm gonna ride it out a few days and see how the weather situation looks for that weekend. I just about destroyed my regular street tires in the rain, at CSCS the other weekend. Weather will be the only deciding factor... I've got some toys that I want to try out at the track. =)

taz4432
06-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Since I already missed the early bird special, I'm gonna ride it out a few days and see how the weather situation looks for that weekend. I just about destroyed my regular street tires in the rain, at CSCS the other weekend. Weather will be the only deciding factor... I've got some toys that I want to try out at the track. =)

Waiting it out would be ideal since my engine does not take to rain well but it should hopefully be a fantastic weekend weather-wise (predictions are looking that way thus far) and they have the rain guarantee thing anyways. Worst comes to worse I'm out $82.50 if it pours; let's just hope it doesn't!

I destroyed my street tires at the first event but I've got different rims+tires to use now =)

Fobio
06-22-2010, 01:03 AM
hope to see you there jerry...work the friend angle!

taz...I hope it all worked out!...see you there soon!

btw, I'll be coming from a wedding the night before...but not like I haven't done that...lol...

MajesticBlueNTO
06-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Small vid from the 1st session at yesterday's event...jump to 0:26 for the beginning of the slide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wglWXeriMpY

Fobio
06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
great finish MBNTO!

this just goes to show that power means nothing without control...my new suspension was way stiffer than last event and I spent all day (and lotsa gas) getting used to the new setup, and my lap times reflect that...having mentally reviewed the day afterwards, I realized I should spend more time on set-up and prep...can't wait til next time!

Official result:

Sigma Racing Time Attack – Mosport DDT CCW with 2 Kinks, June 27 2010 (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/?page_id=22)

Lloyd
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Gotta watch out for the lift off oversteer. Saw a SRT-4 roll over that way only a few corners earlier on the DDT (the 1-kink configuration means there is more speed going into the uphill part).

These look like pretty decent days though. Maybe I should try and limp out to one. What's the deal with that Genesis? 68 seconds is starting to get quick.

MajesticBlueNTO
06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Gotta watch out for the lift off oversteer. Saw a SRT-4 roll over that way only a few corners earlier on the DDT (the 1-kink configuration means there is more speed going into the uphill part).

These look like pretty decent days though. Maybe I should try and limp out to one. What's the deal with that Genesis? 68 seconds is starting to get quick.

The SRTA days are well organized.

The Genesis is a Castrol Canadian Touring Car run by these guys SG Motorsport (http://www.sg-motorsport.com/main.html), and factory-backed by Hyundai Canada (http://g1racing.ca/)

MajesticBlueNTO
06-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Here's my video from the official Time Attack session (available in 720p HD :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKhYJVtG5do

0:11 to 1:19 Warm-up lap
1:20 to 2:31 Hot lap #1
2:32 to 3:42 Hot Lap #2
3:43 to end Cool down lap

...yes, those are white Nike golf gloves

Sigma Racing has also put up:

* the quickest times in either Test and Tune or Official Time Attack (OTA) (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/?page_id=628)

* the top 10 quickest times in OTA to date (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/?page_id=634)

1 A Miles Markovic 2001 Lotus Super 7 Yellow 01:07.52
2 B Jim Houghton 1998 Acura Integra Type R White 01:10.59
3 B Greg Parker 2003 Nissan 350Z White 01:10.97
4 B Majestic Blue 2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Red 01:11.00
5 B Terence Wooe-Chung 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Silver 01:11.03
6 B Fobio 2008 Mazda Mazda 3 Grey 01:11.18
7 B Bazyl Debowski 1989 Mazda RX7 White 01:11.19
8 B Andrew Popovitch 1999 BMW 323IS Green 01:11.23
9 A Jeff Pippy 2008 Evo X Black 01:11.37
10 A Panos 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera Silver 01:11.43

And, for some perspective, here are CASC SoloOntario SoloSprint times from the same configuration (http://www.soloontario.com/events/2010/2010_2.html)

I won't be at the next event but hopefully I can do as well at the last one in August.

-cj-
02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuXsH6xbFc

Hey! Some of those cars look familiar. :chuckle

mleblond
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuXsH6xbFc

Hey! Some of those cars look familiar. :chuckle

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?51295-SRTA-2011-Promo-Video

-cj-
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Damn you Mat!! ;) I just had it emailed to me, thought I was special.

MajesticBlueNTO
06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
bumping an old thread with updates and video from the Test and Tune session this past Sunday.

My goal of the day was to break into the 1:10s with some new tires. During the 1st session, I got a 1:10.26 with Donutz in the car (goal met, i could go home after that :) ) and wanted to see if I could get into the 1:09s ...ended up getting a 1:09.24! (Go to 06:04 in the video for that lap) Previous best was 1:11.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD4ZzXpCi2w

* full interior
* full tank of gas
* the right tires made a world of diff.... 3-4 seconds faster with the hankook z214 vs. toyo r888 (best I could get with the R888 was 1:12.74 at the May 2011 event, 1:13.xx's consistently)

Fobio
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Official results are up:

Official 2011 2nd Event Results (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/2011-official-results/)

I got my 245's R6's ready to go on next week...just to keep up with you!

-cj-
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice times guys. I really dig that they provide you with your own lap timer at Sigma.

I looked into their AIM sponsor, and their ECU bridge doesn't support our Mazdaspeeds. Only RX8's :(

MajesticBlueNTO
09-22-2011, 05:50 PM
bringing back this thread from the dead as the 2011 season of Sigma Racing Time Attack (SRTA) has come to a close.

it was a good season as they sold out 3 out of 5 events before the pre-registration cutoff date! talking with them after the last event, they have some good ideas on how to keep the momentum they got in 2011 going. looking forward to 2012 already.

A recap on each event for me....

May 22, 2011

SRTA May 22, 2011 OTA and Test and Tune results (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/may-22-2011/)

This day was a bit of a disappointment for me as it exposed the fact that the used R888 tires I bought were wholly inadequate. It had me second guessing whether or not I could handle the extra power of the car (after adding a downpipe over the winter) or whether I really sucked as a driver since I was turning worse times than last year when I ran worn RA1 tires. As mentioned in an earlier post, I was getting 1:13.xx's consistently with a fastest time of 1:12.74 - compared to 1:11.00 in a "stage 1" power configuration.

After seeing taz best his time from last year in a stocked out Mazda3 on Hankook Z214 tires, I decided that, for the next event, I would get myself some of the Z214 goodness.

Some video of a test and tune run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVe6otFC6FY

And a video comparison of the R888 vs RA1. Datalogs show that the speeds approaching the left hander are close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzA7pyT6i4

June 26, 2011

SRTA June 26, 2011 OTA and Test and Tune results (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/june-26-2011/)

As stated in the earlier post, my goal of the day was to break into the 1:10s with some new tires. During the 1st session, I got a 1:10.26 with Donutz in the car (goal met, i could go home after that :) ) and wanted to see if I could get into the 1:09s ...ended up getting a 1:09.24! (Go to 06:04 in the video for that lap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD4ZzXpCi2w

The Z214 tires made the biggest difference and inspired a ton of confidence in the car. They stuck like glue but did need some time to warm up. I got the C51 compound which is a good road course tire but they need a few laps to get some heat in them and, unfortunately, the OTA is 2 hot laps. I was only able to get a 1:10.00 in the OTA...considering I got into the 1:09s after 4-5 laps in the video. The 1:10.00 was only good enough for 5th place in Group B ... BUT... 3rd in Group A ...hmmmmm

July 24, 2011

SRTA July 24, 2011 OTA and Test and Tune results (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/july-24-2011/)

This day was the 4th track day on the Z214s (2 days at Mosport GP (big) track and 2 days at Mosport DDT). Would the Z214s hold up for the day?

During the morning sessions, I turned a 1:09.37 and it was good enough to be top 3 during the Test and Tune for the entire day. However, I should have just parked the car after that rather than wasting gas and tires as each subsequent session the tires started to get slower and slower. They wouldn't hold like before and were starting to chunk off and show cord in places from sliding too much.

As for the OTA, with Jeff Pippy and his Evo X not there, I decided to run in Group A. It was a good decision as my poor time of 1:11.47 was good enough for a podium finish (3rd) and a t-shirt! :P

Speaking of the Z214 tires being done for, the 2nd hot lap in the OTA I was sliding around like a kid in a soapbox car and, according to my lap timer, the 2nd lap was a 1:18.xx! Needless to say, the Z214s served me well but it was time to put them out to pasture.

No video from this day...didn't feel like making any.

August 21, 2011

With the Z214s done and funds depleted faster than expected due to some unforeseen repairs *cough*power steering pump*cough*, I decided to sit this day out. Good thing too as it rained like a mutha****a that day and the OTA was cancelled.

September 18, 2011

SRTA September 18, 2011 OTA and Test and Tune results (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/september-18-2011/)

A couple weeks prior to this event, I ordered some Nitto NT01 tires in 245/45/17. I chose the Nittos for a few reasons:

1) they are the same compound as the Toyo RA1 (Toyo owns Nitto)
2) they are a good value for the dollar as they have more tread, last longer, and get stickier as they wear (compared to the Z214 which I called a "go for the glory" type of tire)
3) a friend with the white S2000 has been using them this year at his track days and have had nothing but good things to say about them

What I didn't expect, but should have accounted for having had 235/40/17 Toyos which were really 245 measured width, was that the 245/45/17 were really closer to 255 measure width :whoa They were rubbing all morning in the rear and the sidewalls were getting torn apart. I almost called it a day until Fobio brought up the idea to hammer the lip up more (note I had a fender roll done but it didn't provide much more clearance).

Why a hammer? Well, a PVC pipe didn't do the trick and neither was a metal jack handle. Besides the paint on the fender lip was already cracked and coming off in areas where it rubbed the tire and got pulled down. After hammering both sides up, it was time to test things out.

The following video was the first session where no rubbing was heard! The hammering worked and now I didn't have to call it a day. In this video, the first hot lap after the warm-up I turned a 1:09.87 in the video (a 1:10.09 according to the AIM timer Sigma gives you)... a .20 second difference between beacon timer and gps timer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvNh8_9e7Lk

With a 1:10.09 I was 8th fastest of the day and 7th fastest of those who were running the OTA (the RX-7 that turned the 1:06 had to bow out). That put me in the 2nd run group and I was really just running for fun as it was the 2nd session where I could run with no rubbing :)

Video from the OTA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABVk6E3XXMY

After the run, I checked my lap timer (as Sigma tapes the timer outside the car so that people 1) can't see their times and 2) can't interfere with the timer) to see what I got and saw a 1:10.23 was done on hot lap 2. Figuring that, in my previous session, my lap timer had a 0.20 second difference, I thought I got a 1:10.4x in the OTA. Decent but not fast enough to win anything....or so I thought.

While the remaining OTA runs were going, Fobio and I decided to swap our tires and start packing up. We were a bit late going to the Awards ceremony but didn't think much of it as I definitely wasn't expecting anything....until I got there and heard that I placed 3rd in Group B....What?! I thought people were joking but no, they were serious. That was unexpected ...i finished off the year with another podium finish and got another t-shirt! :)

I'll conclude with a big thanks to the SRTA guys and girls that run the event.... and hope that more Mazda3's come to these events next year :)

CelestSpeed3
02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Niel I think you should let me re-roll your fenders. I've done it more than a few times and I will get those tires to fit without rubbing. Although the tire is quite a bit taller then the stock tire and I think thats more the issue.

I'm looking forward to coming out with you guys this summer.

breakfasteatre
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
neil, i know ive asked this a couple times, but there are just too many damn acronyms. Is this the series you had mentioned that has all sunday dates?

CelestSpeed3
02-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I can't wait for these track events.

I've got the foldable tent, BBQ, and all the good stuff ready for track days.

Do you guys bring a spring compressor to swap out for the different courses?

MajesticBlueNTO
02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
neil, i know ive asked this a couple times, but there are just too many damn acronyms. Is this the series you had mentioned that has all sunday dates?

this would be it... SRTA = Sigma Racing Time Attack (www.sigmatimeattack.com)

MajesticBlueNTO
02-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Niel I think you should let me re-roll your fenders. I've done it more than a few times and I will get those tires to fit without rubbing. Although the tire is quite a bit taller then the stock tire and I think thats more the issue.

I'm looking forward to coming out with you guys this summer.

After hammering both sides to pretty much flush with the fender, I didn't get any rubbing in the subsequent sessions.

However, if I do get rubbing after putting on the pro-kits this year, i'll take you up on that offer :)

Kiyomi
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I can't wait for these track events.

I've got the foldable tent, BBQ, and all the good stuff ready for track days.

Do you guys bring a spring compressor to swap out for the different courses?

+1, u coming out to cscs as well?

CelestSpeed3
02-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes sir, I'm bringing the old TM6 spirit to TM3 this year is going to be great!

MajesticBlueNTO
02-17-2012, 11:54 PM
+1, u coming out to cscs as well?

there's already a thread asking people what series they are planning on running next year (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?59407-What-series-do-you-plan-to-run-next-year)

sjd
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
This Sunday! Weather is looking good.

lazor86
05-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Anyone going to June 10 event?

sjd
05-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Anyone going to June 10 event?

I'll be there again.

Results are up from Sunday's event.

http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/may-13-2012/

Great event! There were almost 20 Mazdas there and 9 out of 10 cars in my class were Mazdas.

lazor86
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I'll be there again.

Results are up from Sunday's event.

http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/may-13-2012/

Great event! There were almost 20 Mazdas there and 9 out of 10 cars in my class were Mazdas.

I think I saw your run. I was just spectating on Sunday for a bit, but I'll be attending the DDT.

lazor86
05-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Anyone sign up for the SRTA #2 Mosport DDT? June 10th!

1. lazor86

Fubawu
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I would have liked to go to that event but I will be at Shannonville for the Saturday, Sunday OTA series.

breakfasteatre
05-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Me and im assuming majestic will be there

MajesticBlueNTO
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Me and im assuming majestic will be there

I will be there

lazor86
05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I will be there

Sigma or Shannonville?

sjd
05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Sigma or Shannonville?

Sigma, I'm sure.

I'll be at Sigma as well.

MajesticBlueNTO
06-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Sigma, I'm sure.

I'll be at Sigma as well.

Congrats to sjd who took home another podium finish...this time with a 3rd place finish in Group B!

NATOR was representing there as well:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9893/natoratsigma.jpg

BlueStreak
06-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Hahahaha!

breakfasteatre
06-11-2012, 06:56 PM
**** yeah

lazor86
06-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Nator....were you in Group B?

MajesticBlueNTO
06-11-2012, 10:48 PM
So, after adding these parts in 2012:

Oswald Subframe/Rear Triangle Braces
Oswald bumper beams
Oswald/Antigravity Lightweight Stuff
StopTech ST-40 Big Brake Kit / KFP Gold Pads
Roo Ducts brake ducts
Whiteline Roll Centre Adjustment Kit

And taking off around 200 lbs (http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9926/20120423140837.jpg):

Weight reduction so far:
- Lightweight battery 28 lbs
- Subframe 14 lbs
- Front bumper beam 22 lbs
- Rear bumper beam 21 lbs
- StopTech BBK ?? lbs (lighter than 4-pots)
- Forged track wheels 15-20 lbs
TOTAL: 100+ lbs

NV Auto threw my car on their scales just for the hell of it. I didn't have my car corner balanced there, just a regular alignment. Although I did have the car previously corner balanced at CanJam in 2010. The corner weights looked really good. The 3.2 lb Antigravity battery really helped even out the LF.

Total weight was 2987 lbs without driver, 3/8 fuel tank, full washer fluid, all the interior bits and my street wheels! I'm guessing without the back seats and my forged track rims on will be another ~50 lbs in savings. I secretly wanted my car to be under 3000 lbs this year with 1/2 tank of gas and in track trim, so I think I've definitely exceeded that goal!

A 2006 WRX with these parts in 2011 plus/minus whatever was added in 2012... (http://www.brandonlue.ca/#949/custom_plain) beat my best time at DDT CCW 2 kinks (1:09.15 vs 1:09.24) :P

ENGINE
- 555 Motorsports Tuned
- Paranoid Grounding Kit
- Intake Silencer Delete
- Green Panel Filter
- 3" Stromung Catback
- 3" TiTeK Catted Downpipe
- Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
- Static X Turbo Heat Wrap
- STI Intercooler & Ducting
- IXIZ Air Oil Separator & CCV
- Grimmspeed PnP & Coated Exhaust Manifold
- Grimmspeed 3-Port BCS

DRIVELINE
- Kartboy Short Shifter & Bushings
- Kartboy Tranny Crossmember Bushings
- Kartboy Subframe Outrigger Bushings
- Kartboy Exhaust Hangers
- TiC Rear Diff Mount Bushings
- TiC Shift Linkage & Pivot Bushings
- Group N Engine & Transmission Mounts
- Group A Pitch Stop
- TiC F/R Trailing Arm Bushings

BRAKES
- Technafit SS Brake Lines
- Carbone Lorraine RC6E Pads
- TiC Titanium Brake Shims
- TiC Master Cylinder Brace
- Prova Replica Brake Ducts

SUSPENSION
- BC Racing BR Coilovers 10k/8k
- Whiteline Rear Subframe Locks
- Whiteline ALK Comfort
- Kartboy F/R Endlinks
- Lightspeed X-Brace
- Whiteline 24mm F/R Adj. Swaybars
- TiC Fender Cowl Brace

CORNER WEIGHTS
- LF 1010, RF 922
- LR 673, RR 649
- Total 3254 (Driver Incl...~160 lbs)

MajesticBlueNTO
06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Nator....were you in Group B?

speed3's are automatically in Group A at Sigma this year ...i wish Speed3's were still in Group B, i would've scored another T-shirt on Sunday LOL :chuckle

lazor86
06-11-2012, 10:59 PM
speed3's are automatically in Group A at Sigma this year ...i wish Speed3's were still in Group B, i would've scored another T-shirt on Sunday LOL :chuckle

Yeah for sure. You had pretty good lap times man!

Group A is pretty hard. I saw a whole bunch of 'em that had under 1:10.

MajesticBlueNTO
06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Results from June 10, 2012 at DDT are up (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/june-10-2012-ddt/)

sjd
06-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Congrats to sjd who took home another podium finish...this time with a 3rd place finish in Group B!

Yeah, but I'm going the wrong way on the podium compared to the last event. lol.

You would have scored some cash too. I'm happy the MS3's aren't in Group B

loganm3
06-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen this, but, http://www.automotofoto.net/events/sigma-racing-time-attack-round-2/ there are some good shots of the red Mazdaspeed 3 on there

MajesticBlueNTO
06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen this, but, http://www.automotofoto.net/events/sigma-racing-time-attack-round-2/ there are some good shots of the red Mazdaspeed 3 on there

i downloaded all of them...might even ask for the original file so I can print it and put it in my game room :D

BlueStreak
06-14-2012, 02:13 PM
This Mazda 3 was looking great running the course during the morning’s open lapping (test n’ tune) session.

;)

CelestSpeed3
06-17-2012, 07:29 PM
My pics from Sigma are done. I was only there for the first half of the day. I had to work in the evening.

Please comment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59066744@N04/sets/72157630167453472/

MajesticBlueNTO
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
My pics from Sigma are done. I was only there for the first half of the day. I had to work in the evening.

Please comment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59066744@N04/sets/72157630167453472/

awesome pics! Hopefully you're driving at the next couple Sigma events :)

sjd
06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
awesome pics! Hopefully you're driving at the next couple Sigma events :)

Agreed! They are awesome. I won't be at the July 8th event but will be at August 5th event. Sigma needs to do 6 events next year, maybe add a couple of Shannonville events.

MajesticBlueNTO
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Agreed! They are awesome. I won't be at the July 8th event but will be at August 5th event. Sigma needs to do 6 events next year, maybe add a couple of Shannonville events.

Looks like I won't be at the July 8th event either; I'll be at the August 5th event, though.

5 events last year was perfect...one event per month from May to September... adding Shannonville would be a welcome addition if they needed another venue.

mvr
06-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I'll be at the July 8th event...first time attack event for me!

lazor86
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I'll be at the July 8th event...first time attack event for me!

Nice! It will be my second.

We should all park close by.

lazor86
07-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone else attending SRTA #3 TMP?

breakfasteatre
07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
ill be there, celestblue should be coming as well

Lloyd
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I will be there

breakfasteatre
07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I will be there

you will be? You participating?

Lloyd
07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes. Look for the slow moving silver domestic.

My guess is that a black RX7 is likely going so I will lose (cries), but I bet I will break more rotors than anyone else.

MajesticBlueNTO
07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes. Look for the slow moving silver domestic.

My guess is that a black RX7 is likely going so I will lose (cries), but I bet I will break more rotors than anyone else.

Someone's playing possum! Slow moving my arse :-P

Lloyd
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Possum, good name for the car.

I don't know why I am going, I really don't like TMP much. But OTA has trained me to think in weekends now.

mvr
07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Another civic bites the dust...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_OlrM5_PbA

standsideways
07-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Another civic bites the dust...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_OlrM5_PbA

driver fail!

mvr
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
driver fail!

Driver fail indeed.

I talked to him after it happened and it was his first time on the track.

condor888000
07-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Ouch...oil pan shattered?

Lloyd
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
He had no idea what was going on at any point on the track.

Good thing Sigma doesn't enforce point by passing I guess, since I don't think he threw a signal all day.

breakfasteatre
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
He had no idea what was going on at any point on the track.

Good thing Sigma doesn't enforce point by passing I guess, since I don't think he threw a signal all day.

lloyd, where was your car when you werent on the track? way off near the 1/4 mile track? The only time i saw you was at the awards ceremony at the end, see you at ddt if you happen to come by :)

Lloyd
07-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I was parked down under the 1/4 grandstands with Matt and Ray. Shade, but loud :)

Won't be at DDT - I was just there because I was curious how the event was run. And had decent odds of it being free, although I didn't drive well enough for that to happen. No hard feelings though, it was Matt's if he wanted it.

mvr
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Pics are posted...

I knew my car would tripod through some of the turns...but side wheelies???

http://www.automotofoto.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Sigma-Racing-Time-Attack-Round-3-THUMBNAIL-8.jpg

http://www.automotofoto.net/events/simga-racing-time-attack-round-3/

MajesticBlueNTO
07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Ouch...oil pan shattered?

from the pics on SRTA's FB page, looks like his air bags went off. you can see the smoke in the cabin as mvr drives by

lazor86
07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Pics are posted...

I knew my car would tripod through some of the turns...but side wheelies???

http://www.automotofoto.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Sigma-Racing-Time-Attack-Round-3-THUMBNAIL-8.jpg

http://www.automotofoto.net/events/simga-racing-time-attack-round-3/

That's pretty sick man! You were going all out. Posted some good times too.

Going to DDT?

mvr
07-11-2012, 12:35 AM
from the pics on SRTA's FB page, looks like his air bags went off. you can see the smoke in the cabin as mvr drives by

Yup, it was only an airbag deploy...and probably alignment...

mvr
07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
That's pretty sick man! You were going all out. Posted some good times too.

Going to DDT?

I'm probably going to the DDT...I kind of had to go all out, it kept on oversteering because the back end always lifted so more gas was needed to straighten out. I burned through a whole tank in 120kms!

Sorry I didnt introduce myself, I could remember who was showing and if they were part of TM3...turns out all the 3's were from TM3!

lazor86
07-11-2012, 01:17 AM
I'm probably going to the DDT...I kind of had to go all out, it kept on oversteering because the back end always lifted so more gas was needed to straighten out. I burned through a whole tank in 120kms!

Sorry I didnt introduce myself, I could remember who was showing and if they were part of TM3...turns out all the 3's were from TM3!

It's all good. Next time.

I think I did about 60-70km on the track and wasted almost half a tank. I had to go get fuel before the last run on Test'n'Tune lol.

Hopefully you can make it out to DDT. I should run a little better this time, I had crappy tires for TMP. Just picked up some new ones so me and you should be pretty close in times (hopefully).

I always BBQ too much, so park close! :-)

mvr
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
So I ended up mowing the lawn....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMo0fUM7PyE

Lloyd
07-12-2012, 09:56 AM
So I ended up mowing the lawn....

Over-winding the wheel, especially when you're going to go off is definitely not a good plan...

mvr
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Over-winding the wheel, especially when you're going to go off is definitely not a good plan...

Probably not, but the right rear wheel touched the grass so it would have done that anyways given all the weight was on the right side.

Lloyd
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Probably not, but the right rear wheel touched the grass so it would have done that anyways given all the weight was on the right side.

Yeah, you can't turn with two wheels on grass. That is why you always want to get the steering wheel back to straight ahead if you are going to drop wheels. Dropping a few wheels while staying in control beats going out of control. TMP is generally a low consequences track, but you should check out the number of black spots on the inside walls of T1 or T10 at Mosport where people did the exact same thing that you did except at 60-100mph.

mvr
07-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, you can't turn with two wheels on grass. That is why you always want to get the steering wheel back to straight ahead if you are going to drop wheels. Dropping a few wheels while staying in control beats going out of control. TMP is generally a low consequences track, but you should check out the number of black spots on the inside walls of T1 or T10 at Mosport where people did the exact same thing that you did except at 60-100mph.

Mosport ::hawt

I'll probably never do Mosport in my car due to the walls.

On the bike, a different story :D

lazor86
07-24-2012, 07:52 AM
DDT is creeping up, who's all going? Last event of the season for SRTA!

sjd
07-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I'll be there.

breakfasteatre
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
signed up

mvr
07-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Signed up

MajesticBlueNTO
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
i'll be there this time

breakfasteatre
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Signed up

nice frankie!

mvr
08-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Fun day! Rain made things very interesting on the track...lots of vid footage as proof ;)

breakfasteatre
08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
1. Alex Morrow: 2011 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Blue - 1:26.20
2. MajesticBlue: 2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Red - 1:27.81
3. SED-G: 2012 BMW 335xi Black - 1:27.84

Group B:
1. James Won: 2007 Honda S2000 Blue - 1:26.46
2. Kyle Beaty: 1990 Toyota Celica Black - 1:34.26
3. Lazor: 2006 Mazda Mazda3 Blue - 1:37.60

tm3 represented with 3 members on the podium

Kiyomi
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
awesome stuff.

Fubawu
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Congrats guys, what config did you run? How was the track during the event? Wet, damp, dry? I always find
it a little slippery even when it drys as the rubber laid down seems to stay damp a touch longer.

breakfasteatre
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
i was running rs3s which arent ideal in the wet, but i put down like 20+ laps in the rain in prep for the OTA. I lapped everyone. I was really confident that me and Neil would be in the running.

When i ran, it wasnt raining but the track was still very slick. It was slicker than when it had first started raining as there were many puddles. I tried to stay on the dry lines, out of the puddles and the destroyed asphalt, which was a much different line than when it is dry.

boyracer
08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
You made us proud, the three of you. congrats.

lazor86
08-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Never been more excited! Good runs guys. I didn't even prep for the OTA in the wet. I stood there like an idiot when they called my name lol. I was like wtf? Really? LoL. Too bad Frankie didn't maket it! Check out the AMF site, the coverege is up!

mvr
08-06-2012, 10:43 PM
This is what it looks like driving starspecs worn down to the bars in the wet. Slippery!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi4a7ljMvcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7vXmgiYsQ

lazor86
08-07-2012, 06:09 PM
@MVR - is that the video where u got grass in the wheels from? looked like u were pretty close to that wall!

mvr
08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
@MVR - is that the video where u got grass in the wheels from? looked like u were pretty close to that wall!

Yup.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561076_970829114410_158338966_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384629_970828735170_231274025_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/582232_970828755130_832782033_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217925_970828775090_802733011_n.jpg

Oh, and 4 wheel drift FTW!!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547783_971178504230_1740698743_n.jpg

lazor86
08-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Haha nice! When you get new tires, you're gonna have a lot better times. It's gonna be interesting.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Here's some video of of mvr doing his best FWD dorifto through the turns. BlueStreak was in the car with me for this one and we were enjoying mvr's dance with his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODb-NsDeQF8

Here's a video of my first Official Time Attack (OTA) session. I had the 6th fastest time of the day during the Test and Tune and was in a heat with the 4th and 5th fastest cars, a 1992 Nissan Skyline putting down over 400awhp (700+awhp on race gas he said) and a 1997 BMW M3, respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYRlsXOwGms

I ended up catching up to the BMW M3 and, as per Sigma OTA rules, I was given another chance to get a clean OTA.

Lap times in the video are from my GPS-based datalogger. For the first session, I got the following:

Lap 1 - 1:27.76
Lap 2 - 1:27.85

In the 2nd attempt, I was the first car out, followed by mvr and SED-G (2012 BMW 335xi) who caught up to the MT Motorsports Swift in their heat, and lazor86 who also got held up in his heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekcn7q0g0xM

Again, lap times in the video are from my GPS-based datalogger and, for some reason, there was a 1.8 second discrepancy between the fastest time from my datalogs and the official MyLaps timing system...which is weird since the GPS timing has never been off more than 0.2 seconds from the MyLaps timing.

Whatever the case, the official timing is what determines the standings and Alex had an awesome run to take 1st overall!

This year we had more TM3 members come out and have fun... lazor86, mvr (in pretty much a stock automatic), and breakfasteatre... hopefully next year there'll be more Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3's representing at Sigma Time Attack.

Video Info:
Datalogging and 720p video taken with aLapRecorderHD Android App on a Samsung Galaxy S III
OBD2 via PLX Kiwi Bluetooth
GPS via Wintec G-Rays I WBT-300

Video and datalog combined in RaceRender2

The Green dot on the track map is the start/finish line
The Red dot on the track map is the current position
The Orange-Yellow dot on the track map is the "Time Trial Ghost" of the fastest lap

Fobio
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
These posts makes me happy. =)

EDIT: Data discrepancy likely due to shitty weather.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
These posts makes me happy. =)

EDIT: Data discrepancy likely due to shitty weather.

ya, it was pretty cloudy and in an earlier portion of the 2nd video (which I cut out because I hate hearing my voice hahahaha), the starter/Raf said "hopefully it doesn't rain again" and I replied "yeah, i hope so, the clouds look like night rolling in" :s :D

Lloyd
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Weather will definitely do that, especially to the cheap GPS units.

lazor86
08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
So what do we do now? LoL. Anyone going to open lapping or other events before the summer ends or?

breakfasteatre
08-08-2012, 08:27 PM
I will probably hit up an ian law track day, but i havent noticed any track school postings.

Next weekend, autocross on the sunday, possibly the saturday as well

Fobio
08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I will probably hit up an ian law track day, but i havent noticed any track school postings.

Next weekend, autocross on the sunday, possibly the saturday as well

All you have to do is ask. Watch ILR section tonight.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Video from the last dry test and tune session. For this one, since aLapRecorderHD can calculate HP and Torque (based on weight, tire size, speed, time) and export it to a csv that RaceRender can read, I added a HP and Torque bar graph... kinda embarrassing looking at the power numbers and the slower times compared to last year for me :s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERcxJgOQOlg

look for mvr from 3:25 to 5:25 and sjd from 7:40 to 10:05

lazor86
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
It was still a little slippery from the night before. That could be the reason for your slower time.

I wish I could hit that time lol. Best I got was 1:17.23. But I did improve from my first time out @ 1:24.26!!!

mvr
08-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Video from the last dry test and tune session. For this one, since aLapRecorderHD can calculate HP and Torque (based on weight, tire size, speed, time) and export it to a csv that RaceRender can read, I added a HP and Torque bar graph... kinda embarrassing looking at the power numbers and the slower times compared to last year for me :s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERcxJgOQOlg

look for mvr from 3:25 to 5:25 and sjd from 7:40 to 10:05

Can you use this lap timer to calculate lap times, speed, some other data using GPS without an OBD2 connection? Then overlay another video taken with a GoPro with that data?

I want to find a laptimer for my motorcycle....but I dont exactly want to use my phone as my recording device.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Can you use this lap timer to calculate lap times, speed, some other data using GPS without an OBD2 connection? Then overlay another video taken with a GoPro with that data?

I want to find a laptimer for my motorcycle....but I dont exactly want to use my phone as my recording device.

All you need is a good Bluetooth GPS receiver to calculate lap times, speed, altitude for the apps on Android. you could use just the datalog function of the app I use, aLapRecorderHD, and sync that with GoPro video in RaceRender.

For a motorcycle, you may want to look into the AiM Sports SOLO (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/aim-sports-solo/) timer which includes on-board GPS receiver and accelerometers in a waterproof casing.

standsideways
08-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I wish I could hit that time lol. Best I got was 1:17.23. But I did improve from my first time out @ 1:24.26!!!
Huge time! Good for you!

lazor86
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Huge time! Good for you!

Thanks. Yeah I need more track time. I got a bit more comfortable this time but there's lots of room for improvement!

mvr
08-14-2012, 01:00 AM
All you need is a good Bluetooth GPS receiver to calculate lap times, speed, altitude for the apps on Android. you could use just the datalog function of the app I use, aLapRecorderHD, and sync that with GoPro video in RaceRender.

For a motorcycle, you may want to look into the AiM Sports SOLO (http://www.sigmatimeattack.com/aim-sports-solo/) timer which includes on-board GPS receiver and accelerometers in a waterproof casing.

Hmmm interesting. I wish I planned for this ahead of time, heading up to MIR on Wednesday for the first time on my bike and wanted to get some stats. Since I could use this for my car and bike, I may consider it in the future.

Fubawu
08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
MVR
If you are heading up to the GP track for the first time, I would suggest not thinking about lap times. Get a feel
of where and where not to be on the track. The first day will be a 60%-70% day. Have fun!
John

mvr
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
MVR
If you are heading up to the GP track for the first time, I would suggest not thinking about lap times. Get a feel
of where and where not to be on the track. The first day will be a 60%-70% day. Have fun!
John

No lap timer for me, ran a double header so Wednesday I ran in the beginner group but started running at intermediate pace by mid-day. Second day I got bumped up to intermediate group and ran at top 5 intermediate pace out of approx 25.

Was so much fun! First few laps were SCARY though, coming over the hills not being able to see the track below.

Here is a video near the end of the second day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2WZN1aEtE&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Fubawu
08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
MVR
How light does the bike get coming into turn 7! Just over that crest must make your eyes big.
Nice video!
John

mvr
08-17-2012, 04:30 PM
MVR
How light does the bike get coming into turn 7! Just over that crest must make your eyes big.
Nice video!
John

Turn 7 is the left kink right after Moss Corner? The front end gets quite light over all of the humps, even at 200km/h! I was pretty much holding on for dear lift, my forearms are real sore today. If you dont have the correct body position or if you're not hanging on tight enough, strange things will happen. I have a 600cc bike...I cant imagine how it would be like with a 1000cc.

Fubawu
08-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Ya that's it .Really it is from turn 7 all the way until turn 8. That is when things go from heavy to light. It almost grabs my attention as much as
turn 2 and 4!

lazor86
08-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Noob question here....I've never used a lap timer on the phone and I'm picking up an android this week. How do you set the "start/end" point so the lap timer can give you your times?