PDA

View Full Version : Expected Cost of removing old starter and installing a two way?

jwei
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Anyone know if installers charge more to remove the existing remote starter and put in a 2 way/howmuch it costs? Also, any recommendations for good installers in Hamilton/Burlington/borderline Oakville/saugaish?

thanks

JayJay18
06-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Anyone know if installers charge more to remove the existing remote starter and put in a 2 way/howmuch it costs? Also, any recommendations for good installers in Hamilton/Burlington/borderline Oakville/saugaish?

thanks

Well i got a buddy to do it with everything included, cabling and all for 200, hes a licensed electrician and installs car starters/alarms professionally.
The existing remote start not sure.
Check with the sponsors first

JayJay18
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?36847-Mobile-Installer

Contact these guys

Noisy Crow
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Check out the sponsors section - several of them do this kind of work. There are prices posted in their sections (Lockdown, Selective, etc.)

If the existing remote start is the OEM one then they probably won't charge you any extra to remove it--- the bulk of the effort in removing it will be pulling panels, which they would have to do anyway. The OEM is uses a harness and connectors, so there are no cut wires to deal with. And the installer can reuse the hood switch and tach connection, so that will save them some labour.

If the old remote start is aftermarket then I am sure would need to get them to look at it and quote you a price. The effort to remove it will depend on how it was installed in the first place, and how much damage would need to be repaired.Another possiblity might to replace the aftermarket remote start with another from the same manufacturer... it is possible the connectors to the current brainbox are a direct fit for other alarms systems from the same manufacturer.

JayJay18
06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Check out the sponsors section - several of them do this kind of work. There are prices posted in their sections (Lockdown, Selective, etc.)

If the existing remote start is the OEM one then they probably won't charge you any extra to remove it--- the bulk of the effort in removing it will be pulling panels, which they would have to do anyway. The OEM is uses a harness and connectors, so there are no cut wires to deal with. And the installer can reuse the hood switch and tach connection, so that will save them some labour.

If the old remote start is aftermarket then I am sure would need to get them to look at it and quote you a price. The effort to remove it will depend on how it was installed in the first place, and how much damage would need to be repaired.Another possiblity might to replace the aftermarket remote start with another from the same manufacturer... it is possible the connectors to the current brainbox are a direct fit for other alarms systems from the same manufacturer.

+1 well said

jwei
06-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Perfect thanks. The OEM is just the regular Viper one way start right?

Noisy Crow
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Perfect thanks. The OEM is just the regular Viper one way start right?

Hmm..... maybe, not sure about that. I sort of recall the company that made/makes them for the 2004-2009s was bought out or bought out someone else.... I'd have to look at the one in my garage to remember.....

jwei
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Hmm..... maybe, not sure about that. I sort of recall the company that made/makes them for the 2004-2009s was bought out or bought out someone else.... I'd have to look at the one in my garage to remember.....

Any update by any chance?

Noisy Crow
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Any update by any chance?

Code Alarm

jwei
06-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks!