PDA

View Full Version : K&N VS. AEM CAI

Snotrocket
06-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I have been browsing online for a CAI for my 2010 MS3. So far my options seem limited to either AEM's ( http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=21-642C ) or K & N's ( http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-6012TS ).

K & N Claims a 25 HP increase with thier stubby little CAI where as the AEM that looks more like a true CAI only will provide an increase of 14hp. There are dyno charts up showing these numbers but my question is how reliable are these numbers they are providing? I have had an AEM intake in the past on my mazda 6 and was really happy with that product. Which is why i am more inclined to perchase another one of their products but not if its going to cost me 10hp up against the K & N.

Any insite out there on which product to go with?

The K & N looks like a much more friendly install also...

horto
06-13-2010, 11:39 PM
cobb? corksport? cpe?

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=4935

Snotrocket
06-14-2010, 12:21 AM
cobb? corksport? cpe?

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=4935

Any one better then the other or is it all just prefrence?

philipfreire
06-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Honestly. Its all the same. Its all pipe and a filter. It isnt anything really high tech.

I'd say the K&N or any other brand that can go from CAI to SRI for winter modes.

Broxn
06-14-2010, 08:01 AM
From what I have found (and trust me I've been looking) only a select number of the above mentioned manufacturers have done any 2010 "tweeking" so be careful who you go with. K&N have made changes to the 2010 typhoon so you won't have any issues.
I was interested in the K&N till I saw the price tag. So I'll be going with another manufacturer who has bothered to make some adjustments for 2010.

horto
06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
FWIW most of us are running the cobb SF on our 2007-2009's. A few cpe nano's.

I think you'll hear our preference for short ram intakes over CAIs, as well -- easier to clean and maintain the filter, and no worrying about hydrolocking.

Any one better then the other or is it all just prefrence?

Turok
06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Honestly. Its all the same. Its all pipe and a filter. It isnt anything really high tech.

I'd say the K&N or any other brand that can go from CAI to SRI for winter modes.

+1

Broxn
06-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Too bad Cobb stopped developing for Mazda..you lucky first gens!

Sean80
06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Go for a SRI. You don't need to worry about getting water in it and they stay much cleaner. I have experienced both CAI and SRI's and will never get a CAI again. PM me if you would like to come and see/hear my cobb.... I'm in Peterpatch too.

laksman91
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
as the others have been saying, it might be worthwhile to look into the SRI (Short Ram Intake) instead of the CAI. Because one thing to remember is that in the turbo application, the "cold air" is going to be mixed with the exhaust gases and tossed through the intercooler. you might not have a significant difference with CAI and SRI

Snotrocket
06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Go for a SRI. You don't need to worry about getting water in it and they stay much cleaner. I have experienced both CAI and SRI's and will never get a CAI again. PM me if you would like to come and see/hear my cobb.... I'm in Peterpatch too.

Would love to check it out! Let me know when and where!

stevenma188
06-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I never really understood the use of a CAI in a turbo car. Isn't the air cooled at the intercooler anyways?

Broxn
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Any decision yet on this?

Snotrocket
06-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Any decision yet on this?

Hey ya i ordered the cork sport. Should be about a week.

Halogen
06-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm running an AEM CAI with the AEM filter, I cleaned and oiled it this season and is working fine, except that about a month ago, I discovered a giant gaping hole in the lower section of the piping (where the mount broke right off from the weld), I repaired it and the car regained most of its lost juice during acceleration...I would say, go with the other brand at this point.

Turok
06-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm running an AEM CAI with the AEM filter, I cleaned and oiled it this season and is working fine, except that about a month ago, I discovered a giant gaping hole in the lower section of the piping (where the mount broke right off from the weld), I repaired it and the car regained most of its lost juice during acceleration...I would say, go with the other brand at this point.

You oiled your AEM filter? AEM filters are dry-flow and shouldn't be oiled I thought.

Broxn
06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Also... It matters to specify what model of car your using your CAI or SRI on.. Agree with above mentioned comment, why a CAI on a turbo? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Turok
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I have the MS CAI on my MS3 you still see HP gains at higher RPM's

Or is it the other way around? Anyways there's tons of thread on this already and it's been debated till the cows come home on so many forums.

Kinn
06-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I thought the idea behind a CAI was that colder air is denser and you get more of it in the same space. While I understand that the turbo is gonna super heat things quickly wouldn't adding cool air, rather then already heated air, help even a bit?

Turok
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
I thought the idea behind a CAI was that colder air is denser and you get more of it in the same space. While I understand that the turbo is gonna super heat things quickly wouldn't adding cool air, rather then already heated air, help even a bit?

Technically yes it should make somewhat of a difference.

Broxn
06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
I am waiting delivery of my typhoon intake (any day now)..glad I went this route too (see hydrolock) that one of our members just got two days ago, no thanks for that b.s.

Turok
06-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I am waiting delivery of my typhoon intake (any day now)..glad I went this route too (see hydrolock) that one of our members just got two days ago, no thanks for that b.s.

I like my CAI and really I'm only running it for 4-5 months a year, even though you have to be careful with puddles, downpour etc..

Once I seal up the vents on the drivers side and re-position splash/heat shield things should be fine.

Nextmod
06-30-2010, 04:04 AM
I will be stocking the K&N ones

and yes Brozn they should come in soon =) lol