PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack and Lock

zoso
06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Right now i'm storing my bike in the back of my Hatch when i take it to the park, but want to get a bike rack put on the back, my major concern now is will get stolen? I'v seen some long cables that i should be able to lock to the underside of my car. But i want to know if anyone else has delt with kind of issue and what they did.

Also i found this post which was for a nissan xterra on another website.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=545

If i remove the plastic tray and board i think i might be able to do the same thing this person did. Again any one think this can be done or has attempted it already?

acrossthec
06-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Does your hatch have a spoiler? If so, you'll find that most rear mounted rack systems will put too much pressure/strain on the spoiler. I've seen a few creative solutions around, but if you're looking at something like the Thule racks, I was told by RackAttack the manufacturer specifies it should not be used on hatchbacks with spoilers (unless you can get under it, like the speed3). I saw a 3 hatch parked around the corner from me last weekend that had a hatch rack, looked like they had it hoisted higher up on the door, almost entirely on the glass, so that the top straps came straight out towards the rack.

Personally I've been debating between a hitch rack (for which I would need the hitch install), or the roof rack (for which I would need a roof rack). You might have luck with the something similar to that Xterra setup. I read somewhere (either here or another mazda forum) where the guy just bought the fork mount bars and attached them to a 2x4 he strapped to the folded down seats. I don't like taking my seat off my bike so this isn't really an option for myself as it will be too tall to fit upright.

Be sure to post up some pics if you put something together!

zoso
08-04-2010, 01:44 AM
i tried but the bike is too high and touched the roof of the car, and can't move in easy, At this point i picked up some hard board and built a box in the back with the seat down so i can slide my bike in without messing up the inside.

I'v decided to go with the hitch, easier to get on and off, and can hold more bikes

Dave_The_BMXER
08-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Hitch of roof for the win.

I just put my bike in the hatch though occasionally I lock it to where the seat mounts

Rob23
08-04-2010, 11:37 AM
yakima roof rack ftw.

baymoe
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
yakima roof rack ftw.

Negative. Thule is the way to go!