PDA

View Full Version : HID Physical Temp.

hyper7boy
06-18-2010, 08:18 AM
So last night I bought a 6000K HID kit for my 2010 Mazda 3. I must admit, I am new to the car scene so if this questions sounds dumb, my apologies. Last night, I hooked up my lights on the bench just to check that they worked before going through the trouble of installing them. I left the bulbs in the plastic cylinder case they are sold in. Once I turned on my headlights for about 30 sec., the bulbs began to get so hot that they actually started to melt the case. I am just wondering, is it normal for an HID bulb to get very hot when in use? Will my projector be able to handle this kind of heat? Thanks!

-Mike

stevenma188
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
HIDs will be cooler than Halogen bulbs. You had the issue of melting the plastic case because it provided no ventilation for the bulbs. You will not run into problems melting your projector housing with HIDs.

Noisy Crow
06-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Yup, it's normal form them to get that hot.

HIDs are more efficient that halogens... so they actually heat up less than halogents. But most of the energy still gets turned into heat.

The headlights are designed to take the heat.

hyper7boy
06-18-2010, 03:24 PM
OK thanks guys. I just installed my HID's and I love the look. I'm so glad the high temps. are normal because I really didn't want to remove them lol I love the look of them..

zzz3
06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
post some pics! I should have my set by next week...btw are yours from ddm?

JohnyGT
06-20-2010, 11:56 PM
OK thanks guys. I just installed my HID's and I love the look. I'm so glad the high temps. are normal because I really didn't want to remove them lol I love the look of them..

Glad u had installed them with no problem, Mike :)

hyper7boy
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Ill try to soon. I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet.