PDA

View Full Version : Finally caving... Lowering questions...

SilentJay
07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
So, after long consideration and much TM3-based ridicule (:chuckle), i've decided to start looking into a drop. If any vendors come across this post, please feel free to shoot me a pricing-PM if you can get these. I really didn't want to snow plow over the winter, so I've got my sights on 3 springs:

- Racing Beat (supposedly 0.5" drop all around)
- Apex (1.13" all around, though I can't find the 2.3L listed on the site)
- Eibach Prokits (1.2" all around)

Problem 1:
My current rims are 18x8 with +48 offset - I'm not sure I can actually lower without rubbing when going lock-to-lock, which happens quite a bit more than I'd like to admit. Am I going to rub? I can't quite remember my tire size but I can check later if it matters.

Problem 2:
I'm coming up to 71.5k on the stock shocks/struts - I'd rather not replace them if I didn't need to, but am concerned about "surprises" that may arise, especially in the winter. What's the consensus? Change 'em while i'm doing the suspension? For that matter, how about camber kits?

Thanks guys!

philipfreire
07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I went with Canuck Motorsports. The ride height is advertised at 1.55" for sedans and 1.75" for hatches. I think I'm sitting somewhere between them. After seeing them and going for a ride with the setup on stock I was sold. The ride height is more noticable than prokits and close in terms of comfort. (Prokits are closer to OEM ride tho)
Also the price, at 170 shipped to my door (made in BC) I can say I was more than happy.

But beware, with your KM's you always run that chance for your suspension to go as they are not made for lowering springs. Some will do more damage than others.

If you want to see my ride and go for a ride to feel the difference, send me a PM and I can set something up. These are quality springs with no sagging.

philipfreire
07-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Here's some pics:

http://freire.ca/lowered/5.jpg

http://freire.ca/lowered/7.jpg

Also.. no need to roll fenders or fear speed bumps. In terms of rubbing with your offset, not quite sure.

RedRaptor
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I paired Racing Beat springs with Mazdaspeed Accessory struts/shocks. Car feels completely different handles like a go kart. Its really renwed my love for the car. Now I'm looking for a set of MS sways.

If you plan to keep the car for awhile, I would definately swap out the shocks/struts as well. Keep the stockers incase you change your mind about the lowered ride. Its not for everyone.

SilentJay
07-19-2010, 11:16 AM
^^^ I guess i'm a bit more paranoid about things than the average person. I guess i'll have to replace the struts/shocks. That said, any input about rubbing with my rims?

RedRaptor
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
^^^ I guess i'm a bit more paranoid about things than the average person. I guess i'll have to replace the struts/shocks. That said, any input about rubbing with my rims?

Nah, I waited a good 5 years until I lowered my car. But it was well worth it and now I won't drive a stock suspension car. :)

You shouldn't have an issue with the ProKit drop (most people will get these as they are a good balance between looks and performance). A little bit of rubbing at full lock is expected.

azn_outlaw
07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
KYB GR2 shocks ( Why not Koni? ummmm for the price tag, will you use those shocks to its full potential?)

+

Road Magnet Lowering Springs (1.25 drop front / rear)

identical spring to the Eibach prokit but with a lower price and just as good quality as Eibach...

http://www.roadmagnet.com/Mazda-3

Most functional setup for a daily driver

SilentJay
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
^ I haven't even explored my shock/strut options, so that's good info to have.

Default User
07-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Stock dampers should be good for at least 100k
If you know you'll hit the 100k mark within the next year or two - I suggest you change em up (along with the strut mounts) at the same rime and save on the labour.

Otherwise, for 100-150 labour you can save the flow and deal with it when necessary.

You are most likely running 225-40-18's or something proper, so rubbing on prokits shouldn't be an issue.

KenYork
07-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Jay, I went into the same thinking when I first lowered my car. I ended up with the Apex springs and was happy with them. You shouldn't have to worry about winter as I have found it not low enough to make an impact. I did take out driving for family through winter with my 3 lowered in sauga(08/09). FS-Used-Koni-Yellows (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?45773-FS-Used-Koni-Yellows-and-used-HID-kit), I would jump on these. Yes, do the whole suspension thing.

ZeroChalk
07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
I use to have racing beats before I swapped out for prokits. I feel in terms of comfort and handling racing beat were better. In terms of looks prokits gave a nicer drop. I'm worried this winter with the prokits not to scrape my front lip when I exit certain driveways.

S.F.W.
07-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I use to have racing beats before I swapped out for prokits. I feel in terms of comfort and handling racing beat were better. In terms of looks prokits gave a nicer drop. I'm worried this winter with the prokits not to scrape my front lip when I exit certain driveways.

When I was lowered on pro kits I removed my front lip prior to winter.

JayJay18
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I am on sportlines with a 18x8 rim Enkei Ev5 and i had to roll my rear fenders, just to give you an idea.
i really doubt that you will have rubbing, maybe when you hit a big dip in the road but not on regular driving. i have 74000 on the car when i put the springs on and the shocks are holding up alright, yeh the bottom out all the time but i soon will go with coilovers
thats my storey have fun with the drop.
P.S. go with the prokits anything of a lesser drop wont make a difference

SilentJay
07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Good info! For shocks, i'd probably go with whichever is the cheaper option (kyb gr2 vs. konis), and will probably get either the road magnets or apex springs. I'm not looking to dump the car, simply improve the handling and maybe cut down on the 4x4-ness :)

p-o-g-i
07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
.................................................. ............................. Tein H- Tech.

Skip
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Jay, the offer still stands if you wanna swap Rotas hahaha

Skip
07-19-2010, 10:17 PM
and I'm on prokits, and i swear my suspension takes a beating on some bumps..i can't imagine what it would be like on anything lower, on my 17" rotas, I have about a finger or so gap in the front. I didn't need a camber kit though

SilentJay
07-20-2010, 05:48 AM
and I'm on prokits, and i swear my suspension takes a beating on some bumps..i can't imagine what it would be like on anything lower, on my 17" rotas, I have about a finger or so gap in the front. I didn't need a camber kit though

:P oh man.... +the fact that i'm no lightweight, my car would be bottoming out all the time! Further reason why I should only do a mild drop.

shu5892001
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
:P oh man.... +the fact that i'm no lightweight, my car would be bottoming out all the time! Further reason why I should only do a mild drop.

I am on prokit and koni yellow, both about 2 month old, I only bottom out like once or twice when I am going very fast. As long as you get some new/stiff shock, you shouldn't bottom out all the time.

Also FYI the amount of drop you get also depends on what shock you are on, my prokit and yellow setup is a bit higher than members with prokit and stock shocks

dave2010GT
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm about to lower mine on Canuck Motorsports springs like Phillie how long should it be before getting an alignment done???

S.F.W.
07-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm about to lower mine on Canuck Motorsports springs like Phillie how long should it be before getting an alignment done???

I would suggest waiting 2 weeks, maybe three.

kLuMzi
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM

same springs i'll be getting when I decide to pull the trigger. hope it wont require me to use a camber kit =\

MistaChin
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
If i were getting springs and some new shocks, i'd just spend a wee bit more and get some coils. Then you can decide on whatever height you want.

SilentJay
07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
^ I would, but i'm probably going the "used" route for at least the struts/shocks, if not for the springs too. I think I might be jumping on those Koni's if everything pans out, but I still need to find some springs :P

FLIPDADY
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
^ I would, but i'm probably going the "used" route for at least the struts/shocks, if not for the springs too. I think I might be jumping on those Koni's if everything pans out, but I still need to find some springs :P
I've never bought "new" springs/shocks/struts. All of my suspension components are used. No issues ever.

SilentJay
07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Awesome :D

Finding used RM/RB/Apex springs is going to be a pain though

Default User
07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
If i were getting springs and some new shocks, i'd just spend a wee bit more and get some coils. Then you can decide on whatever height you want.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?45512-G16-Yonaka-Full-Coilovers

-RJ3-
07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Canuck motorsports.... Best lowering spring at a budget!

optiklenz13
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM

basically, doing it right the first time..

I did get mine used, and it's awesome!!! :)

MistaChin
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I kinda can't wait for my shocks to go so I can justify the coils as a necessity lol

SilentJay
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Ooo... New coils... Used shocks/springs will essentially cost me around $550+install though, so it's still 1/2 the cost.

dave2010GT
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah I definately want coils TEIN specifically but with Canuck Motorsports costin 170 shipped and 100 installed thats cheaper than a set of Eibach's alone I need the quick satisfaction I guess.

warlord
07-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Cool forum here and I can't resist a good suspension thread. I'm on koni yellows and RM 1.75".

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz153/warlord342/2010withRM175003.jpg

MistaChin
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
^^^^^^^

wow that drop looks great! even better without the front license plate.

Thrizzl3
07-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I kinda can't wait for my shocks to go so I can justify the coils as a necessity lol

mmm coilovers..i want!

SilentJay
07-26-2010, 08:27 AM
I've been offered a good deal on coils by a forum sponsor/vendor, and will probably go that route once i've saved up enough pennies :)

That said, i'll probably need camber kits, won't I...?

mazdathree
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Also FYI the amount of drop you get also depends on what shock you are on, my prokit and yellow setup is a bit higher than members with prokit and stock shocks

Good to know. Didn't know the shocks would make a difference.

azn_outlaw
08-02-2010, 10:22 AM
have fun with coils...

harsh ride and various noises, run them in winter, possible seized, so to prevent that dont forget you must maintain them by spraying them with something like wd40 or rust check

you aint going that low, so could increase the level of harness and noise, are these shocks ride adjustable?

Dave_The_BMXER
08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
^ My coils ride MUCH better than my previous set up

Frenchmanremy
08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I plan on gettin coils in the next few weeks. I want adjustability.

Only thing is...Canadian Winters... Most of my friends on coils say it`s not a problem.

S.F.W.
08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I plan on gettin coils in the next few weeks. I want adjustability.

Only thing is...Canadian Winters... Most of my friends on coils say it`s not a problem.

Coils are height adjustable, you can raise your car back to stock height for winter. Just ensure you have the coils greased so they do no seize.

Frenchmanremy
08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
What's the best value for money in terms of what's available to us?
I was looking at the Yonakas,

S.F.W.
08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
What's the best value for money in terms of what's available to us?
I was looking at the Yonakas,

Buddy Club I would say. Height and dampening adjustable.

Frenchmanremy
08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Buddy Club I would say. Height and dampening adjustable.

BC = Buddy Club?
I care more about height adjustability, as well as reliability.
I was looking at the Yonaka's but am scared of the reliability aspect...

condor888000
08-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Road Magnet Lowering Springs (1.25 drop front / rear)

identical spring to the Eibach prokit but with a lower price and just as good quality as Eibach...

Um...not at all. The drop is similar, but the spring rates are WAY different. The Prokit has spring rates ~160/171 in-lbs F/R. The Road Magnets are ~310/360 F/R. That's a huge difference.

Dave_The_BMXER
08-05-2010, 07:36 AM
BC = Buddy Club?
I care more about height adjustability, as well as reliability.
I was looking at the Yonaka's but am scared of the reliability aspect...

BC racing does not = buddy club.

Frenchmanremy
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
What's the price on the buddy clubs? I can't seem to find a seller anywhere?

S.F.W.
08-05-2010, 11:38 AM
What's the price on the buddy clubs? I can't seem to find a seller anywhere?

Contact Nextmod, they carry the BC coilovers.

Frenchmanremy
08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I was just told that BC coilovers is not the same thing as Buddy Club.

Donutz
08-05-2010, 03:40 PM
That statement is correct. There are BC coilovers and Buddy Club coilovers. Different companies, different quality.

Dave_The_BMXER
08-05-2010, 03:47 PM
BC racing does not = buddy club.

I was just told that BC coilovers is not the same thing as Buddy Club.

????

Being said I am happy with mine.

Rekognize
08-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Canuck motorsports vs. racing beat

Which one is more comfortable?

dave2010GT
08-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I'll let you know in two weeks about the Canuck Motor sports springs

ronphan
10-04-2010, 11:41 PM
i was reading this thread and am thinking of lowering my mazda as well except on the s-techs, so do i just get the springs and leave everything else stock or do i need to get new struts, camber, etc?

Donutz
10-05-2010, 07:38 AM
i was reading this thread and am thinking of lowering my mazda as well except on the s-techs, so do i just get the springs and leave everything else stock or do i need to get new struts, camber, etc?

Search man, search. You will need rear camber links, at the very least, to go with the springs. I always advise upgrading you struts/shocks when you lower a car. Some folks have gotten away with oem shocks/struts; some for less than 30k kms and some have lasted over 100k kms. Keep in mind Stechs lower 1.5" - 2", which is way outside the operating range the were designed for.

Dave_The_BMXER
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
*still not on camber links*

stevenma188
10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Are you shredding tires like mad?

Dave_The_BMXER
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
When I take my tires off this year I will take pics :)

ronphan
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
hey any of you guys know where I can buy new struts/shocks and camber kit?

Donutz
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Nope. No idea.

shu5892001
10-06-2010, 11:36 PM

search is ur frd

MistaChin
10-07-2010, 07:04 AM

How much hp do those add? I hear somewhere around 10? I don't even know what those are.

standsideways
10-10-2010, 09:57 PM
have fun with coils...

harsh ride and various noises, run them in winter, possible seized, so to prevent that dont forget you must maintain them by spraying them with something like wd40 or rust check

you aint going that low, so could increase the level of harness and noise, are these shocks ride adjustable?

Clean the threads before adjusting would be the obvious solution, ive adjusted mine 3 or 4 times with NO problems.

These "various noises" are due to improper installation ie: reusing mounts,not re tightening everything with an impact etc.

and harsh? really? ever driven a 911? lotus elise? is-f ? those 3 are all harsher than my tein basics at full drop.

any metal will rust if covered with water/salt/sand mix and not washed off or no protectant is applied to the threads.

azn_outlaw
10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
So clarify this too me,

I know the orginal posted is ridding on 18's with a 45 series tire, can you tell me this

which will ride more harsh his OEM stock setup or a full coilover kit ? will the full-coilover kit be still less harsh then your Tein basic setup?

and wow you drivin or once owned a 911, lotuse elise, is-f?

damn those are harsh? guess the WRX w/ FA Full Coils or S2K w/ Tein RA, all daily driven, at various heights, yes I have crossed and driven would be nothing compared to your experience and defintion of harsh..

my bad...

Clean the threads before adjusting would be the obvious solution, ive adjusted mine 3 or 4 times with NO problems.

These "various noises" are due to improper installation ie: reusing mounts,not re tightening everything with an impact etc.

and harsh? really? ever driven a 911? lotus elise? is-f ? those 3 are all harsher than my tein basics at full drop.

any metal will rust if covered with water/salt/sand mix and not washed off or no protectant is applied to the threads.

p-o-g-i
10-12-2010, 11:13 PM
:nothing smiley

(I figure that smiley was added for a reson, so I decided to use it)

standsideways
10-15-2010, 11:41 PM
So clarify this too me,

I know the orginal posted is ridding on 18's with a 45 series tire, can you tell me this

which will ride more harsh his OEM stock setup or a full coilover kit ? will the full-coilover kit be still less harsh then your Tein basic setup?

and wow you drivin or once owned a 911, lotuse elise, is-f?

damn those are harsh? guess the WRX w/ FA Full Coils or S2K w/ Tein RA, all daily driven, at various heights, yes I have crossed and driven would be nothing compared to your experience and defintion of harsh..

my bad...

my experience may be different though as im constantly driving everything from mini vans to brand new full size pickups to stuff like the is-f or even the elise wich i work on every few weeks.

i may have been a little kind to my coils, its hard for me to tell i just drive tooo many different cars, a good 70% have under 40 000K so they all feel firm!

i must say, the elise, i wouldnt be able to drive for more than 30 minutes, sure its a hell of a track car, but daily driver, NO! lol!
and i dont have toronto roads to deal with either!

floodgatez
10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
i raised my car for the winter - i HATE MY WHEEL GAP. :rant