PDA

View Full Version : Suede Headliner Pricing

JayJay18
08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Do you think 375 is over priced for re-upholstering my headliner with sunroof and slider in suede?
its real suede not polyester

S.F.W.
08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
not sure the going rate, though it does seem rather pricey.

philipfreire
08-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I just smell something fishy. Check the material over before anything jay and make sure its REAL suede.

JayJay18
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Well i check it out yesterday and its nothing like Vinces. When you run your hand over the fake stuff it tends to show a little lighter. The stuff the guy bought was so soft and didnt change color when you passed you hand over it. Seemed to be high quality suede

dave2010GT
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I bought mine from this place and the pricing I though was really good and they are an automotive fabric company in NY.

There are two types of seude I bought 4 yards of the suede SP not the suede fabric because of the heat inside of the car in the summer and the cold in the winter, the customer service guy said Suede SP stands up better to various temperatures.

The whole thing cost me 160US shipped

http://www.ball2ufall.com/suede_sp.html

JayJay18
08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Is that just the suede?
Did u install yourself?

dave2010GT
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
That was just the suede, I'm doing the headliner, and all the pillars, so 4 yards will be more than enough based on my measurements.

I'm in the middle of my speaker molds for the a-pillars so I haven't installed any yet probably this weekend or next.

JayJay18
08-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Well the install the guy said would be 150, but since my headliner needs a little fixing it would be 175 about so that leaves the material for 200 thats a little fishy but it does feel like real suede
and its got sunroof too

dave2010GT
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
if the 375 includes materials and install then I don't think that is too bad.

Mine has the sunroof as well so thats going to be tricky but as a whole the headliner removal is up there in difficulty. Plus I think real 100% genuine suede is very expensive (my dad's XF has got suede through out the interior and I phoned up Jag inquiring about it and they said there stuff is approx $250 USD a yard so I know there are going to differences in everyones suede)

So my point is I don't think 200 for suede is that bad considering I'm paying 170US for mine and I'm really impressed the fabric quality.

JayJay18
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
LOL i took the headliner out myself lol but i only got the lowest quote at 350 for polyester suede thats why i think 375 is fair for quality suede

dave2010GT
08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh my mistake then yeah that sounds fair the website I posted for Suede Fabric would be 224 USD shipped.

dave2010GT
08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
But you do have to wonder if 350 for polyester suede is the going rate how genuine is the suede at 375 unless they are trying to rip you off on the polyester stuff.

dave2010GT
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Also how hard was it to take of the headliner??

And are you going to use the 3M adhesive spray for it??

JayJay18
08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
The headliner was a piece of cake because i have the hatcback, Dan took his out of his 2010 sedan he creased it a bit.
Its 375 for the install and the material so im not glueing it myself

Cousin Dave
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey Jay did you end up getting the headliner done? How did it turn out?

I am also curious about the material used. For Ultra Suede or similar such materials there is a huge degree of difference in both price and quality when it comes to such materials. The major differences between them is the obvious look and fee, plus how durable it is. Ways this is measured by the amount of rubs it will endure before showing wear and another is its resistance to fading.

Real suede would be expensive and I am not sure that it would be a good material for automotive use. Remember, Lamborghini, Audi, BMW etc uses Alcantara, a very high end synthetic suede because it is better suited for automotive use.

philipfreire
11-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Dave, His stuff is not real suede but IMO is the best synthetic you can get. I'm looking at getting mine done and just got some samples. I'm going to compare to his and if its the same its cheap. 6 bucks sq ft.

I will do the install myself because after seeing the pain and headaches jay went through with the guy, its not worth the money. Also Dan has done his himself and said its a piece of cake.

The material Dan used compared to Jays is not as good. Dan is using the foam-backed stuff. All the foam back stuff is the same and you can really tell its not real. Jays material actual feels genuine, just no back padding but can be an easy solution (just buy neoprene padding 1/8th ")

Real suede is not worth it, again your not driving a BMW, its a mazda. The way I see it is if your seats ain't real leather why spend money on real suede for your headliner. Just get the good synthetic stuff. Which is UV treated and can handle the sunlight better.

JayJay18
11-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Phil already explained it pretty much