PDA

View Full Version : Removing and Re-using (?) Plastic Pushpin Fasteners

wabbit
08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I need to remove the rear bumper on my 2010 3 GTs hatch to install a rear parking sensor inside the bumper. (It's one that doesn't require drilling holes in the bumper.)

I've found instructions on the UK Mazda 3 website for installing this in a 3 sedan rather than a hatch, but i'm sure much of it is the same.

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=4647.0

I have a couple of questions.

First, can the plastic pushpin/rivet fasteners that secure trim inside the trunk be removed and re-used? If so, what's the best way to remove them to avoid marking up the area around them?

Second, I've read elsewhere that you must jack up and block the rear wheels of a 3 hatch to pull the rear bumper. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,

Wabbit

Noisy Crow
08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I need to remove the rear bumper on my 2010 3 GTs hatch to install a rear parking sensor inside the bumper. (It's one that doesn't require drilling holes in the bumper.)

I've found instructions on the UK Mazda 3 website for installing this in a 3 sedan rather than a hatch, but i'm sure much of it is the same.

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=4647.0

I have a couple of questions.

First, can the plastic pushpin/rivet fasteners that secure trim inside the trunk be removed and re-used? If so, what's the best way to remove them to avoid marking up the area around them?

Second, I've read elsewhere that you must jack up and block the rear wheels of a 3 hatch to pull the rear bumper. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,

Wabbit

The fasteners are easy to remove... just use a small screwdriver or your fingernails to pull out the centre pin. The whole fastener will then pull out easily. Just be careful when putting them back in that the expanding bits all fit back into the hole.

As for removing the bumper... it can be done without jacking up the car. You do need to crawl underneath and undo some fasteners though... so depending on how large you are it might be a snug fit. If needed, you could drive the rear wheels up on to some flat boards to get some clearance.

wabbit
08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info, Noisy Crow. I'll give it a try.

wabbit
08-28-2010, 02:01 AM
It was easy to remove the rear bumper (2010 GTs hatch) without blocking the rear wheels. Removing the pushpins is easy, too.

sol_searchin
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Those fasteners come out by pushing in the circle in the center and pulling the entire clip out.

omalak
03-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Yep as everyone has said, they pop out real easy with either your fingernail or a small screwdriver. I keep a few on hand just in case, pretty cheap to pick up from the dealer