PDA

View Full Version : Water mark prevention?

prime
08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Just curious if it's only my car or it's common for black cars to get watermarks from the slightest splash. The moment a droplet hits my car I already know there's going to be a watermark on my car even though I just washed it. It shows as a white residue leftover (especially at the rear bumper below the trunk door) as if dust/dirt was collected by the droplets and dried up there. Is there a product that I can use so that I don't have to wash my car EVERY time my car gets a little shower?

I noticed I'm the only black car parked at work that seems to accumulate such water marks which I find weird (and I seem to be the one that care about my car the most). :bang

/rant

Edit: sorry I posted in the wrong section. Please move to Exterior Maintenance.

Zuluwun
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
probably a good wax job. I think those marks are the water droplet evaporating and leaving residue on your paint. a good sealant, wax or both will help that droplet roll off the car before it dries. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a quick detailer spray will get rid of it without a wash.

Rob23
08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
nothin you can do about water marks other than parking indoors, wax will help but not eliminate the marks.

Default User
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
You can carry Mothers instant detailer in the trunk with a good cloth.

prime
08-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I waxed my car a couple of months ago but I guess I didn't do such a good job. Perhaps I'll see about picking up a sealant.

Thanks for the input guys. Just had to rant because I washed the car just to have it dirtied the following day by rain.

Skip
08-26-2010, 01:24 PM
i find that nicely waxed paint causes the beads to form..which on a dusty car + a short rainfall + drying from the sun = water marks. I noticed on unwaxed/neglected paint it just sheets and seems to dry evenly. I also get the nasty crud on the trunk of the car because the water doesn't really bead off in the back when you're driving around.

m_bisson
08-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Yep... It's a problem with hard water too. So if you wash your car at a house with no water softener make sure you dry it carefully. Definitely shows up worse on a waxed car