PDA

View Full Version : Detailing questions

anth_g
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Im not sure if this question has been asked, but in your oppion which brand Clay bar, Rubbing compound/scratch remover,polish,wax product do u find gives you the best result.

I was thinking going meguiars all the way....

mido
08-31-2010, 02:16 AM
For me:

Clay Bar: They all do the same, the Mothers Clay kit comes with 2 bars which is better and cheaper in the long run.

Rubbing Compound: Turtle Wax has worked good for me , same with 3m finish restorer.

Scratch Remover: Best stuff ever is Quixx Scratch Repair Kit .. Works very well even with deeper scratches.

Wax : Go meguiars gold class

Detailer : Meguiars quick detailer or Mothers Showroom.

leungly
08-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah there are countless detailing products on the market and a lot of them essentially do the same and it comes down to personal preference most of the time.

For Claying, I'm a fan of the Riccardo Yellow or Blue Clay. Comes in 8oz boxes and they're both fairly mild with the blue one slightly "more aggressive".

Rubbing Compound? - The over the counter Ultimate Compound by Meguiar's works fairly well. The "professional" grade Meguiar's 105 is even better and although it can be applied and used by hand it won't be as fun as with a machine polisher.

Scratch Remover: Something in the medium cut such as Poorboys SSR 2.5 by hand is fairly decent. Again one can only remove so many scratches/swirls before your arms fall off.

Wax: With so many to choose from and the look your trying to achieve and the colour of your vehicle as factors in deciding which to go with. As a general rule of thumb, lighter cars go with paint sealants and dark coloured cars go with carnauba based waxes. So I'd say something like Optimum Opti-Seal for Light Coloured Vehicles and something like Poorboys Nattys Blue Paste Wax for Black and as a general winter wax or longest durability wax, I'd say Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or its equivalent in paste wax form (476s).

Detailer: Diluting Optimum No Rinse or Meguiar's Quik Detailer

floodgatez
08-31-2010, 10:50 AM
i'm getting my car done by WisdomDetail in Mid-september. can't wait to see the results!

anth_g
08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Is there another place other than canadian tires to buy some of these products?

mazdaskit
08-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Is there another place other than canadian tires to buy some of these products?

wal mart, sponsor might have them, parts source

buon77
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Go to Buffalo - you'll pay the fraction of the price you would at Canadian Tire. Just came back with my wife and pick up the Meguiars Clay bar kit for $14.00 and Meguiars Scratch X for $6.95...worth the drive...

aris
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Meguiars Ultimate compound works wonders, also meguiars #205 and #105 are all very good compounds depending what needs to be done

hatthi
09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Some great info and products here. http://www.eshine.ca/

kLuMzi
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
what about rims detailing(wax or polish), anyone recommend?

S.F.W.
09-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Poorboy's wheel sealant has been great to me.

aris
09-03-2010, 01:18 AM

I use the same wax as I do the rest of the car

bman13
09-03-2010, 01:48 AM
I use the same wax as I do the rest of the cat

cat?

aris
09-03-2010, 08:53 AM
cat?

Fixed....replying on a iPhone sucks... Lol