PDA

View Full Version : Plastic covering for carpets

VaderX
09-05-2010, 07:40 PM
i got some rubber floor mats for the winter and want to add some clear plastic on the sides where the rubber doesn't cover the carpet.

What have you guys done for this? What kind of plastic did you add and how did you attach it to the carpet so it doesnt move around?

I am still going to add floormats over the plastic. I cant bring myself to spent $150+ for weathertech floormats.

Thanks

XTOTHEL
09-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Would those long rolls of clear rubberish...drawer linings work? buy one that's wide and just roll it across the rear and just double sided tape :S then all weathers on top of that?

TheMAN
09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I used plastic hallway runners... trimmed and tucked them inside the trim pieces to fit... just buy a roll from home depot and spend a few hours doing that!
you can see how it is in my how-tos:
http://www.protegefaq.net/BKfootlamp/
http://web2.airmail.net/theman/mz3shock/

protects the carpet really well, ZERO wear, and it will always look new... never have to worry about this cheap crappy carpet rubbing through! great for resell value!

if you take out the back seat cushion and the scuff plates, you can cut holes into the plastic runners to hook into the clips so that they can't fall off... I did the same also with the bottom of the front seat belts... cut a hole then bolt it back in
I didn't bother taking out the front seats, but that's always optional if you don't want to worry about stuff getting under the seats

VaderX
09-05-2010, 11:53 PM
That sounds like something I was looking for. I was thinking of maybe using the plastic carpet covers that are used to protect carpets while there is construction going on... those come with adhesive on them. Would those hold up with the car's carpet?

07m3gt
09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't know about the plastic construction carpet. But wouldn't the adhesive on it be left on the carpet?

TheMAN
09-06-2010, 07:25 PM
there's no adhesive in hallway runners... just "bumps" on the underside of it to keep it from slipping.... as long as you tucked the edges under the trim pieces, it's not going anywhere