PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good (trustworthy) website that does electronic reviews?

froggy
11-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Looking to get a new Tv to replace the old tube monstrosities that are currently residing in our house. I'm finding it really difficult to find reviews that aren't just adds on the televisions. Wanted to know if any of the members here know of a good place that reviews electronics or a forum that has knowledgable members.

Thanks

Btw looking for an Led/Lcd in the 32"-40" range

PearlM3
11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Sharp aquos FTW

S.F.W.
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Sharp aquos FTW

I had a sharp aquos 32" for several years. Recently upgraded to a 46: and went with a Samsung 6 series. A lot of it depends on your budget. Different brands are stronger in different price ranges.

stevenma188
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
One suggestion is to go into the store and compare the TVs side by side. You will be surprised at how different the colours look on some TVs.

hit26k
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
CNET usually has good reviews on televisions. I tend to copy the model number of tv from Best Buy of Future Shop and then search it there.
Also, where is the tv going (bedroom? basement? living room?). Good luck with the search!

froggy
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I had a sharp aquos 32" for several years. Recently upgraded to a 46: and went with a Samsung 6 series. A lot of it depends on your budget. Different brands are stronger in different price ranges.

not looking to spend over $1000 tax in, so like $800 or so retail

One suggestion is to go into the store and compare the TVs side by side. You will be surprised at how different the colours look on some TVs.

The only thing with that is are they at the same colour temp and settings, don't know if they have a standard display format that they use.

CNET usually has good reviews on televisions. I tend to copy the model number of tv from Best Buy of Future Shop and then search it there.
Also, where is the tv going (bedroom? basement? living room?). Good luck with the search!

I'll give them a try do they only review high end stuff or also the lower end televisions. One T.v. will be going upstairs in the living room with a big picture window, so definately need a high contrast ratio, and the other one will be going in the basement so no issues sunlight/glare

hit26k
11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I'll give them a try do they only review high end stuff or also the lower end televisions. One T.v. will be going upstairs in the living room with a big picture window, so definately need a high contrast ratio, and the other one will be going in the basement so no issues sunlight/glare

CNET does reviews on most electronic items (tv's, home audio, cameras, etc..) I've watched some video reviews where they show in detail pros and cons. Some of the written reviews are just as detailed. They also score each product.

Donutz
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Exactly my experience. Bought a Samsung 650 last weekend. I had wanted the aquos for the longest time; my mom has one. I think with the Aquos, when you get to the higher end tv's they are better, but in the low-mid range they aren't the best anymore. There was a time when they had the edge on the competition, but that seems to have faded away.

I would suggest checking out AVS forums. Another member suggested it to me and I've found uber amounts of information; even calibration settings for my tv.

XTOTHEL
11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Samsung plz

froggy
11-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I've been checking out cnet and lots of info there, but I've input some tv models and have had no reviews show up. Now on some of them they'll cross reference to a similar model or a different size in the series. But for a lot of them it just defaults to their "selecting the right television" info :bang

XTOTHEL
11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I've dealt with Samsung Canada before for warranty back when LCD monitors were $700. I still have it and use it to this day. Their warranty was no hassle, I called them up and they shipped me another monitor and I popped the defective monitor back into their box and shipped it back. This was 7-8 years ago.

I understand you want to make an informed decision, but sometimes you just have to trust the brand. Go to the store and as long as you're happy with it, the brand has good rep, who cares?

froggy
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Well the thing is I'm going to buy 2 Tv's at the same time and I don't want to get 2 lemons. I have also have a samsung 22" monitor and I'm very happy with that, so I"ll definately take a look at their displays. I also know that even in a good "brand" sometimes they may have a less than stellar model. I'm not in a huge hurry and will probably wait until around december 7th or 8th to get the screen, that way I might be able to get the tv I want while it's still in stock and possibly take advantage of a price drop guarantee if the price drops for new years/boxing day.

XTOTHEL
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Well the thing is I'm going to buy 2 Tv's at the same time and I don't want to get 2 lemons. I have also have a samsung 22" monitor and I'm very happy with that, so I"ll definately take a look at their displays. I also know that even in a good "brand" sometimes they may have a less than stellar model. I'm not in a huge hurry and will probably wait until around december 7th or 8th to get the screen, that way I might be able to get the tv I want while it's still in stock and possibly take advantage of a price drop guarantee if the price drops for new years/boxing day.

Definitely a good idea.

Another thing...I recently got a costco membership, they might carry some nice TVs and they have a pretty relaxed return policy.

froggy
11-17-2010, 02:44 PM
about costco, I would really rather support a local small buisness (reputable mind you) than a big box store, but then again a small local business probably doesn't have a price drop guarantee... :bang

bman13
11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
about costco, I would really rather support a local small buisness (reputable mind you) than a big box store, but then again a small local business probably doesn't have a price drop guarantee... :bang

It's nice to care about local small businesses but...if your main concern is not getting any lemons, even with the "RIGHT" choice lemons can show up (when that happens, the little guy wont be as hassle free which to me > supporting local).

taz4432
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
As mentioned, I always check CNET. They don't always have reviews of the products I'm interested in but more often than not they do or have something close enough that the review would hold true (perhaps a review of a TV with identical specs but bigger screen size relative to the one you're interested in, etc.).

Default User
11-17-2010, 03:36 PM
have you checked out crutchfield?

S.F.W.
11-17-2010, 04:04 PM

I purchased my TV from Golden Electronics. They have two locations, and were more than happy to undercut Futureshop/BestBuy, etc. Best of all worlds, support a local business, and get a better price and better service.

froggy
11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I purchased my TV from Golden Electronics. They have two locations, and were more than happy to undercut Futureshop/BestBuy, etc. Best of all worlds, support a local business, and get a better price and better service.

cool thanks ami I'll look them up, off the top of your head do you know which brands they carry?

S.F.W.
11-17-2010, 04:18 PM
cool thanks ami I'll look them up, off the top of your head do you know which brands they carry?

All the majors, Samsung, Sharp, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony

TheMaterial
11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
check out ecoustics.com

they have reviews, articles, forums and more. If there isn't a review on the site they will usually link you out cnet or something like that.

rukus
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
i like using cnet.

one thing, do not go to FS or BB and compare TV's side by side. they are all poorly calibrated (except for the pricy ones).

the expensive ones are often connected to digital sources, and nicely calibrated, while the cheaper ones are on analog connnection and toned down hugely.

whatever you buy, chances are you wont be able to tell the difference once you get it home.

froggy
11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
i like using cnet.

one thing, do not go to FS or BB and compare TV's side by side. they are all poorly calibrated (except for the pricy ones).

the expensive ones are often connected to digital sources, and nicely calibrated, while the cheaper ones are on analog connnection and toned down hugely.

whatever you buy, chances are you wont be able to tell the difference once you get it home.

yeah I've never trusted Tv's setup in stores (again except for the high end ones that are hooked up to the sound system with the couches in front of them)

If they are a like a lot of other business' the manufacture "pays" for top billing the best spots in the store, and send reps out to do the setups. Then the other stuff is setup or just displayed "as is" without calibration. Anyone who works in one of the "boxes" correct me if I"m wrong.

Jackal
11-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Go Sharp Aquos. I have two, 46 and 32 and they are working great. Sonys are really great too.

Noisy Crow
11-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Poke through this site:

www.digitalhome.ca

DrunknFoo
12-18-2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

tons and tons of info