PDA

View Full Version : Charity Collections

zoso
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Quick question, can i asking donations from TM3 community for the Ride to Conquer cancer?

Right now i'm putting the donation on hold untill next year anyway but want to know if it's still okay to have my sig at the bottom and next year, (starting end of Jan) start asking for donations for the Ride to Conquer Cancer from tm3 members?

froggy
11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't see why not. there are other members here who have done similar things for the "movember" donations. I guess the only thing would to make it as transparent as possible so that when and if a member donates they know it's actually going to the cause and not into your pockets. So if by clicking on your link in your sig takes you to the actual site that belongs to your account I can't see that being a probelm. Only problem I have with the ride to conquer cancer is that It takes place over 2 100k is a one day ride tops, even taking it slow I don't think I could stand to ride that slowly.

S.F.W.
11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
it's fine as long as donations are made through an official site, and not to you directly.

cwp_sedan
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
+1

taz4432
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't see why not. there are other members here who have done similar things for the "movember" donations. I guess the only thing would to make it as transparent as possible so that when and if a member donates they know it's actually going to the cause and not into your pockets. So if by clicking on your link in your sig takes you to the actual site that belongs to your account I can't see that being a probelm. Only problem I have with the ride to conquer cancer is that It takes place over 2 100k is a one day ride tops, even taking it slow I don't think I could stand to ride that slowly.

Want a bit more of a challenge? Ride the 200 Mile route. I did it this past year - came out be about 335km total. I won't get into the whole ride but I will say this, if you're an experienced rider you should know how many factors go into one's pace.

You can ride as fast as or as slow as you want. If you want to go out and do 40km/h then by all means go out and do it. The stations are all ready for you, the campsite is all ready for you and your gear will be in Hamilton (first night stop) long before you get there. There were/are people who ride 40km/h+ average speeds and finish in a matter of hours.

Edit: On a sidenote, I did not receive a single cent from any TM3 members - just throwing it out there. (And yes, I did a whole writeup on here describing The Ride, my story, etc.)

froggy
11-24-2010, 06:38 PM
that's more like it 160 km or so each day

taz4432
11-24-2010, 07:40 PM
that's more like it 160 km or so each day

Yes, but it was a little more than 100miles per day. This year it's going to be exactly 100 miles per day for the 200 Mile ride. I'm not doing the Ontario ride this year, though, I'm thinking of doing either the Quebec ride (because it's closest) or trying to make my way out to BC for the Vancouver ride! =D

zoso
11-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I signed up for the 200 mile (300+ KM) Ride. I am out of shape but have dedicated myself to getting into full shape for this. I was doing 20-30 KM rides every few days (work permitting) took me up to 2 hours (combination of Offroad, Rockey areas and paved roads) This is something i am not tackling this half hearted. i fully intend to see this through the full 200 miles.

As for those worried about where the money goes. if you click on the pic in my SIG it take you to the page setup on the Conquer Cancer website, which has donation methods right to them, except it will show that it was done through me so i get credit as bringing in the donation. There is also a form you can print and mail in with a cheque the form again contains my membership number so it gets credited to me.