PDA

View Full Version : BestBuy and their lame extended warranty

towelsnap
11-25-2010, 08:11 AM
**long rant** FYI :complain, go to >>:bang for short form

So most of us have purchased items from Bestbuy and have contemplated getting the extended warranty for the "just in case it doesn't work" fear we all have when buying an item. I purchased many items from bestbuy (PS3/46" LCD TV/Blueray player/games/movies etc).

I purchased my PS3 in October of last year 120gb slim edition with a two year extended warranty (cost roughly $60) . This year in July my system started to turn off immediately with no warning or any beeping sounds. I did basic trouble shooting (tested other outlets/tested to see if it shut off with only playing a blueray/game). So I did the smart thing of going to best buy and get dicked around. I waited a couple of months hoping the problem was from overheating so I stopped playing for a while. In November my systems started to get to the point it wouldn't turn on at all. Once I took my ps3 in ... I have a large teenager take my system out of the box plug it in and play it in front of me for 20 minutes looks over at me and states .. "it works you sure it's not working" :flaming:flaming ..... so now I'm mad and this person wouldn't get a supervisor. So they send it off on "the repair shop" which is some third party vendor and I'm thinking finally I can have faith in Bestbuy that it will work and I wasn't sold a crappy system. The PS3 was sent off on Nov , 02,2010 (before blackops release :( ) I get a call on Nov, 16, 2010 (before my surgery) to pick it up . On the system it states "passed inspection" and that the Optical Lens/laser was replaced. Again I'm greeted by the same teenager who states "there ya go now it's working" I don't get any paper work back and I walk out of the store. Once getting the system back it works I get to play COD: Blackops ..

Nov, 23,2010 - The system has the same issue.... I'm mad and feel ripped off that I get something fixed only to have it come back less than a week. So thinking that fat teen will be there again. I film the video on my iphone of the issue. Go to Bestbuy and a girl is working this time. I show my concern of how I'm not satisfied or showing any trust in how reliable their so call repair shop is. Than you get the paid response "I'm sorry to hear that sir we do value you as a customer , I'm also sorry sir we will be sending this away to the repair shop again. The only way to receive a new system is if your equipment is repaired four times than tested again to ensure it's defective before you get a new system"

**:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang**

So my advice is sure BestBuy will say they will fix it , yet their third party company sucks ass! If you get extended warranty from EB games (family member did this) and had their system replaced on the spot with a new one. Showing the lack of concern for the customer especially with less than a week of the equipment being fixed to have it returned again.... I'm not impressed. I feel ripped off and I'm curious if my new TV stops working will I get the same horrible treatment? Think of it this way you buy "extended warranty" yet the "extended warranty" starts on the day of purchase even though you have a manufacturers warranty for a year WTF!......

So in closing if I have to take my system back again the third time .. they can keep it!

Pokey
11-25-2010, 08:23 AM
When I buy ANY electronic item, I assume that after the initial warranty period (90days?) it's my problem. I've been lucky so far, except for way back when we bought a VCR (remember those) with a 12 month warranty, and guess what happened after 13 months? Bought a SONY after that and haven't looked back.

aris
11-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I allways refuse their warranty.

MistaChin
11-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I allways refuse their warranty.

+1

When I purchase something from BestBuy or FailureShop, it's always funny to see how their attitude towards you changes when you repeatedly refuse their warranty. No worries Greg, take it as a lesson and just pray the rest of your shit doesn't break on you.

cwp_sedan
11-25-2010, 09:08 AM
That sucks.

I always try to use my Gold Visa if possible. Extended warranty for free is always nice.

stevenma188
11-25-2010, 09:12 AM
^Someone's a baller with a gold visa :chuckle

Pyro
11-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah use a credit card with extended warrenty instead of buying a plan

they are exactly like car dealers with rust proofing - they make the most money off of accessories like $100 monster cables and extended warrenties.....they don't make much money off the actual item itself. so they get pissed off when you don't want it lol

cwp_sedan
11-25-2010, 11:06 AM
^Someone's a baller with a gold visa :chuckle

lol I don't think so. I would have a platinum card but I don't feel like paying the admin fee lol.

MPS
11-25-2010, 11:33 AM
meh gold i got platinum card :chuckle

That sucks.

I always try to use my Gold Visa if possible. Extended warranty for free is always nice.

MPS
11-25-2010, 11:35 AM
BTW platinum is only $49 a year with %2 cash back
i have this wating for me this year :)
Platinum MasterCard (https://servicing.capitalone.com/C1/Accounts/Activity.aspx?index=1&LinkId=EOS_Z_Z_Z_ACTSR_C3_04_T_TRDTL)

Rewards: $2,089.06 Cash

lol I don't think so. I would have a platinum card but I don't feel like paying the admin fee lol.

MistaChin
11-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum doesn't mean shit.

a Black American Express....well now you're talking.

Pokey
11-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum MasterCard (https://servicing.capitalone.com/C1/Accounts/Activity.aspx?index=1&LinkId=EOS_Z_Z_Z_ACTSR_C3_04_T_TRDTL)

So you spend over $100,000 on the visa in a year :bowdown

cwp_sedan
11-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Yeah I probably would have done something like that but MC doesn't seem to like me. They would never approve me. I have no problem getting high limits on an RBC or Scotiabank Visa ($10k+). I have both with $0 balances so it's all good anyway! :)

lol most definitely.

What was this topic about again?

:gone

MPS
11-25-2010, 12:06 PM
warranty

cwp_sedan
11-25-2010, 12:12 PM
warranty

I know, but more about BB warranty. Just saying.

I still stand by a credit card warranty IMO.

S.F.W.
11-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I know, but more about BB warranty. Just saying.

I still stand by a credit card warranty IMO.

Agreed with the credit card warranty. I went this route when I purchased my new TV recently.

MPS
11-25-2010, 12:23 PM
btw how long is credit card company cover for ?
i know my iphone was only 90 days

cwp_sedan
11-25-2010, 12:24 PM
btw how long is credit card company cover for ?
i know my iphone was only 90 days

Direct replacement for accidental damage or theft is 90 days I think. Mine doubles the factory warranty up to 1 year. So I usually get at least 2 years covered on most things. I suppose every card could have different coverage limitations.

MPS
11-25-2010, 12:34 PM
no it sounds about right
all credit card company's use same insurance
my iphone was lost in the first 90 day and i got a full refund

TheMaterial
11-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I work for Fshop and on a daily basis it's my job to sell those warranties...and I had like 10 paragraphs written down but decided to delete them about the ins and outs of warranties and blah blah. If you want to know exactly how they work just ask..

The reason your ps3 didn't get fixed properly because when it was sent out they are supposed to write a little report or something as to what needs to be repaired...that obviously didn't get done, but not for me to say.

Credit Card warranty coverage..they only double manufacture warranty up to one year. They don't cover a whole lot because they are only doubling the manufacture warranty which is very limited. Basically if you read the fine print it only covers a defect to the item as a result to the product being poorly built or put together. But to get a claim done. You must contact your credit card company. Wait on hold for about 15mins...They will then tell you, you need 2 or 3 quotes for repair value and fax them a copy of the original receipt and the repair quotes. Wait about a week or 2...and they will advise you what to do. But remember this only falls in the 2nd year of the product.

If you know how to take advantage of they extended warranties they are worth it on certain products. Some not so much...we actually talk about this a lot amongst our selves at work how sometimes the prices are just plain stupid on some products..

Pokey
11-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Except that a lot of places don't take American Express :) Unless you shop a lot at Costco...

Guess the cards are suited to your spending, and how much the banks WANT you to spend. The ability to pay it back in a reasonable time is not important to the bank as they collect interest the longer it takes you...

MistaChin
11-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Except that a lot of places don't take American Express :) Unless you shop a lot at Costco...

Guess the cards are suited to your spending, and how much the banks WANT you to spend. The ability to pay it back in a reasonable time is not important to the bank as they collect interest the longer it takes you...

If you have a black american express I can almost guarantee you that you won't give a crap about shopping at Costco. I would be using $20's as toilet paper.

Pokey
11-25-2010, 01:36 PM
If you have a black american express I can almost guarantee you that you won't give a crap about shopping at Costco. I would be using $20's as toilet paper.

You've got it all wrong mon, 20's tend to be rough as they are handled much less than the 1's.

I've tried using 20's but after several papercuts I've decided to use the 1's - they are soooo much smoother (and they look just like 20's, both are the same size and coloUr) :)

MPS
11-25-2010, 01:45 PM
my daily TP supply =)
the $10 is only there for visitors use only :chuckle

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/axela1/IMG_5195.jpg

MistaChin
11-25-2010, 01:45 PM
You've got it all wrong mon, 20's tend to be rough as they are handled much less than the 1's.

I've tried using 20's but after several papercuts I've decided to use the 1's - they are soooo much smoother (and they look just like 20's, both are the same size and coloUr) :)

lmao agreed. Probably would get some kind of disease though considering those 1's have most likely touched hundreds of stripper poon

MPS
11-25-2010, 01:47 PM
lol in this case if you ever wanted to get laid with a stripper you know how to do it for just $1
this tread is gone to shitzz

lmao agreed. Probably would get some kind of disease though considering those 1's have most likely touched hundreds of stripper poon

Pokey
11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
this tread is gone to shitzz

Just change the title and it's all good - we're discussing the merits of using various denominations of US currency for asswiping purposes :huge smile

MPS
11-25-2010, 02:54 PM
shiz lol i got lots of US currency here for the whole forum to wipe there ass with
I'm just waiting for rates to get better so i can cash the F out

Just change the title and it's all good - we're discussing the merits of using various denominations of US currency for asswiping purposes :huge smile

crono06
11-25-2010, 05:58 PM
I work for Fshop and on a daily basis it's my job to sell those warranties...and I had like 10 paragraphs written down but decided to delete them about the ins and outs of warranties and blah blah. If you want to know exactly how they work just ask..

The reason your ps3 didn't get fixed properly because when it was sent out they are supposed to write a little report or something as to what needs to be repaired...that obviously didn't get done, but not for me to say.

Credit Card warranty coverage..they only double manufacture warranty up to one year. They don't cover a whole lot because they are only doubling the manufacture warranty which is very limited. Basically if you read the fine print it only covers a defect to the item as a result to the product being poorly built or put together. But to get a claim done. You must contact your credit card company. Wait on hold for about 15mins...They will then tell you, you need 2 or 3 quotes for repair value and fax them a copy of the original receipt and the repair quotes. Wait about a week or 2...and they will advise you what to do. But remember this only falls in the 2nd year of the product.

If you know how to take advantage of they extended warranties they are worth it on certain products. Some not so much...we actually talk about this a lot amongst our selves at work how sometimes the prices are just plain stupid on some products..

Lol what a shameless plug. I used to work for Best Lie for over a year, and I would never, ever buy warranty on anything.

Also, for the TD Gold Visa's, and I'm speaking from experience here, it is VERY easy to make a claim. Call in, get verification, and they tell you to charge the repair on the card. Send in the bill, and then at the end of the month, they will credit that amount back for you.

Don't believe everything your managers tell you. They want you to believe in PSP, because if you don't they think you can't sell it. That is utter bs, as I never did, and never will believe in their PSP, but I sold it on almost every computer I let leave the store.

Kevin@nextmod
11-25-2010, 06:31 PM
You know if you got the PS3 at bestbuy and have the psp as well you can still go through Sony yourself to have it fixed. I sent mine in when mine died and it only took them 2 days to send me the box and another week for them to fix it or replace it and send it back to me. When you get there psp it doesn't mean you lose your manufacturer warranty. Sony don't know you have psp or anything or they wont' even care because thats third party warranty. As long as you're still within one year you can still claim it from Sony

TheMaterial
11-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Lol what a shameless plug. I used to work for Best Lie for over a year, and I would never, ever buy warranty on anything.

Also, for the TD Gold Visa's, and I'm speaking from experience here, it is VERY easy to make a claim. Call in, get verification, and they tell you to charge the repair on the card. Send in the bill, and then at the end of the month, they will credit that amount back for you.

Don't believe everything your managers tell you. They want you to believe in PSP, because if you don't they think you can't sell it. That is utter bs, as I never did, and never will believe in their PSP, but I sold it on almost every computer I let leave the store.

How is it a shameless plug? Do I care if the customer or anyone here purchases psp..honestly I don't. If the customer see's value in it..so be it...Many people I work with never buy it either. I will tell you, its stupid to buy it on some products. But like I said its an actual smart buy on others. There's a lot of bull crap to the warranties that they want you to believe. I actually read through the entire brochure even the small print and it's amazing what you can find.

If you don't buy it thats up to you, I've seen many people get screwed over with it and many people helped(to be honest more screwed)...I have bought it and I have used it many many times...thats why I continue to buy it. I have used it on two Ipods that I have gotten my money back on..and have gotten about 10 xbox controllers over the last three years and an xbox replaced. (everything purchased before I started working there) With that said I don't just buy it on everything, actually buy it on very few things I buy.

Do I tell every customer its god gift to man...hell no..when they say there visa doubles there warranty, do I get mad and argue and say its total shit(like some will)...NO. My managers are actually really relaxed about it yet still bring it up quite a bit...As long as it's presented properly..let the adult customer make up there mind that's all they ask. Not sure what kind of store you worked in.

I never said the visa double coverage doesn't work...It's just a dragged out process, but it's free.

Not here to argue about this...if you want it..get it..if you don't and feel pressured just walk away from the sale completely

towelsnap
11-26-2010, 07:43 AM
You know if you got the PS3 at bestbuy and have the psp as well you can still go through Sony yourself to have it fixed. I sent mine in when mine died and it only took them 2 days to send me the box and another week for them to fix it or replace it and send it back to me. When you get there psp it doesn't mean you lose your manufacturer warranty. Sony don't know you have psp or anything or they wont' even care because thats third party warranty. As long as you're still within one year you can still claim it from Sony

Bought it in Oct, 2009 (this is my second ps3 lol) **lay off the xbox comments lol** over one year warranty :(..

I bought the PSP due to the fact my other ps3 died within two years and I'm not on it much :chuckle. Overall I think the newer consoles are made like crap. Xbox and Ps3 usually have the life span of 1-2years pending. I still have my original ps2 works fine and ps1 and nintendo and atari lol. I think with certain electronics you for sure need an additional PSP due to the fact or so it feels that manufacturers are making products that won't last.....:complain . This leaves clients with no options other than PSP/credit card warranty or having to replace the entire unit with YOUR cash . I just feel why have a 3 strike policy if clearly they can't fix the damn thing. IMO I told them what was wrong they let it sit and collect dust and than said here it's fixed

crono06
11-27-2010, 09:50 PM
The one thing that I will agree with is the fact that most of the ppl who benefit from it are the employees. Reason being that they know the in's and out's, and know what can and cannot be covered. I knew employees who would purposely fry their products so that they will get money or a new device.

Kevin@nextmod
11-28-2010, 12:30 AM
^^ and employee psp is 45% off. So if the psp is $100 for customers, employees pay $55.

crono06
11-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Correct. I used to get freebies thrown in with PSP's even on staff rate. Things such as cases or mice.

Cost on PSP was about 10-20% of the selling price.

sp3GT
11-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I've had quite the opposite experience with Best Buy PSP. I bought a Sub/Amp package in 2006 and a 4 yr PSP plan with it for $60 bucks.
In 09 my amp started crapping out, I bring it into Best Buy Audio and they sent it off to attempt repairs. A week later I get a call telling me it's non-repairable. I go in and they install a brand new (newer model) no questions asked.

Around a year later, which was about a week before the expiration of my PSP my sub starts crackling. I bring it in again the tech listens to it agrees its blown. He doesn't even do the attempt for repairs and just swaps in a new one for me.

And how PSP works is they give you a credit for that product, when I went in the same sub was actually on sale for $100 off so I ended up getting a additional $100 BB credit.

tweak_s
11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Work for BB PT. Warranties are great in theory; I wish the way everyting was executed was better. It devalues the whole point of the warranties.

And the selling.. form your initial post, about how the warranty starts from day one; theye're suppose to make sure to let you know that. Its their job to let you know that.

Best buy as a company says to offer etc. But the problem is, managers/supervisors whatever, pressure so much to get the numbers now that the employees skip over that to get the sale. Its a crappy direction BB is going in. I wonder if upper management (headoffice etc.) realizes what the repercussions

Sucks man. Hope it works out for you. Don't get me wrong.. its only my PT job as a means to pay some bills.

One thing though... was it really necessary to say "large" and "teenager"? =/ lol

towelsnap
11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
The "large" comment was unacceptable non-the least and I apologize if I offended anyone. The teenager comment no... in my opinion was justifiable. I find from experience when I was in high school (worked at Canadian Tire) that on average most teenagers could care less about their line of employment and are there strictly to make money and could care less about customer service or satisfaction. They are more "tainted" to push sales than actually sit down and see the customers frustration with the lack of service provided. I guess there will always be a large difference between the small business and a large corporation with their views of customer appreciation and satisfaction standards. I have met some “students” or “teenagers” who are great at their jobs and do go the extra bit to help customers..However they are a minority in a large consumer market in retail. Going on the “teenager” comment when I did return the product the second time I did receive a “I’m sorry to hear that” from a mature individual needless to say where it is scripted or not it does help.

As most of us can agree we have all been there and done that with the fact of having a retail job.. it does suck and we do give others slack because we have been in their position before (or at least I do). I do agree with what you had to say tweaks and will fill you in on what takes place once I get the PS3 back.

m_bisson
11-29-2010, 08:15 PM
The warranties used to be worth it, for tube TVs. We spent $1000 on a flatscreen tube many years ago and got the warranty. Boom TV dies 4 years later near the end of the warranty. Boom tube TVs are no longer made. Hello FREE lcd. And no, it wasn't a $1000 lcd, it was the cheapest lcd that had the same features as our old tube TV did. Boom! $1400 lcd for the cost of the extended warranty.

So! Long story short, the ONLY reason they sell those warranties is because they make money on them. Most of the time, customers never need to use them. It's once in a blue moon where someone actually benefits from it.

zoso
11-29-2010, 08:46 PM
I use to work for Future shop and took an interview at one of these repair centers

They get paid per repair, so they will work as quickly as they can to fix the problem and move onto the next. Cases where they need to wait and see the issue they will always say some shit (such as yours, replace the lens) even though they did **** all. just to make it look like they did something.

Nextmod
11-30-2010, 10:51 AM

for sure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-rZidQSlk&feature=player_embedded#!

towelsnap
11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I use to work for Future shop and took an interview at one of these repair centers

They get paid per repair, so they will work as quickly as they can to fix the problem and move onto the next. Cases where they need to wait and see the issue they will always say some shit (such as yours, replace the lens) even though they did **** all. just to make it look like they did something.

LOL.... sad yet true.. .means I get to suck it up for 1 more repair than a new ps3 for me haha I hope they pitch the "PSP" again to me... I'll gladly pass

sp3GT
12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe you can look into a PEP plan. I didn't know they existed until yesterday when my coworker told me he got his Ipod fully replaced under that plan.

towelsnap
12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
"FINAL UPDATE"

I get a call yesterday that my ps3 was fixed since I worked at 1500hrs I went in today to pick it up. To my suprise ... it was the same blonde girl that assisted me last time. I say hello and she goes into the back and brings me the ps3. On the system there was a note indicating they could not find anything wrong with the system at all and the clerk apologized. So at this point I'm pissed and demand to speak with a manager. :flaming . I explained to the manager that the system was sent away two times in one month and this time no work was done to it. I explained I showed a video (if you want I can upload it from the iphone lol) showing the machine turning off in THREE different outlets and there was a problem . The clerk actually stepped up and stated I've seen the system and the videos shown with date and time and the customer is right..... Was I drunk... could this happen a clerk that actually cared! The manager stated they'd replace it no questions asked and walked away .

So long story short... my month of frustration with a company actually turned out all right. I was given a 160gb PS3 and a free 2 year PSP plan starting from Dec,2,2010 ending Dec 2, 2012. So overall I'm happy with the final choice of replacing the system there was NO WAY I was taking it back. Thanks for the hints and advice and hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else . Cheers

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/towelsnap/63be7936.jpg

MPS
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
good score

sol_searchin
12-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I've had no issues with best buy, My TV has failed once (have a 4yr service plan), first time they sent a repair tech to my home and changed out the speaker's that went bad on it. 2nd issue there was a bar showing on my tv screen, they told me to bring in the tv to a best buy location and get a new one no issues here, sucks that they screwed you over for so long, my guess would be the best buy employee was your issue

nitsuji
12-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I was given a 160gb PS3 and a free 2 year PSP plan starting from Dec,2,2010 ending Dec 2, 2012.

Gotta love in-boarding ;D
These are the best deals!...even if you don't want the damn service plans.

zoso
12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Good to hear it worked out, Still better then the 7 months my dad had to wait for his replacement, which included a fight with management and a call to Futureshop head office.

towelsnap
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Do tell :)

Jackal
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Found this blog about resenting Best Buy for telling us how great the product is and then after saying yes tells us that it may break in the next two years. Sums it up for me.

http://civpro.blogs.com/civil_procedure/2005/05/note_to_best_bu.html

sp3GT
12-07-2010, 08:11 AM
I finally bought my PS3 yesterday, the bundle pack with NHL and I glady refused their PSP after reading this thread.

Iceman_F1
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Been following this thread for awhile and while I know it's basically over with, offering my :.02 anyways...

Having worked at Futureshop before and having the unfortunate experience to try and sell this, I myself hate most of the time them trying to sell it on some things that are either cheap enough I'd rather not bother or I know it's not going to break within the time limit. I also hate how much pressure they put on the sales person to sell this. I know it's a pure profit but putting that much emphasis on it puts too much pressure on the sales person IMO. I'd rather be helpful and actually HELP the person instead of having to force that on someone.

That being said though, on SOME purchases, I DO see a point and it's a nice to have. Sure, it's not for everyone, but to each his/her own I guess. The way I see it is like insurance (of any kind). You pay X amount into it JUST IN CASE something happens. If nothing happens, you are out that money. But if something DOES happen, you are covered. Despite TowlSnaps initial troubles, he did the right thing by providing proof and was nice to see that it worked out for him in the end. I had it once where I had to replace something under the plan (on one of the few times I got the plan) and I had no hassles with it. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to risk. If you think nothing is ever going to happen, don't buy it. If you want that piece of mind for something big (that some people do) then buy it.

zakman
12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Been following this thread for awhile and while I know it's basically over with, offering my :.02 anyways...

Having worked at Futureshop before and having the unfortunate experience to try and sell this, I myself hate most of the time them trying to sell it on some things that are either cheap enough I'd rather not bother or I know it's not going to break within the time limit. I also hate how much pressure they put on the sales person to sell this. I know it's a pure profit but putting that much emphasis on it puts too much pressure on the sales person IMO. I'd rather be helpful and actually HELP the person instead of having to force that on someone.

That being said though, on SOME purchases, I DO see a point and it's a nice to have. Sure, it's not for everyone, but to each his/her own I guess. The way I see it is like insurance (of any kind). You pay X amount into it JUST IN CASE something happens. If nothing happens, you are out that money. But if something DOES happen, you are covered. Despite TowlSnaps initial troubles, he did the right thing by providing proof and was nice to see that it worked out for him in the end. I had it once where I had to replace something under the plan (on one of the few times I got the plan) and I had no hassles with it. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to risk. If you think nothing is ever going to happen, don't buy it. If you want that piece of mind for something big (that some people do) then buy it.

completely agree. well said

i also no its a little late but meh. this has worked out amazing for me before. my example is i had a $2000 HP laptop and it broke who knows how many times and finally after 4 major breaks they gave me a full refund credit towards a new laptop. i got nearly 1700 back towards a new one. The plan was a three year one and was worth every single penny i spend on it.

zoso
12-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Do tell :)

My dad had a HK amp worth about 2000 bucks, within a few months the front left speaker stopped working, this is January. We take it back. By the end of march we don't get a call, so we call them, and spent 2 week trying to find out what happened. So I point out that after 60 days we are entitled to a new unit if they don't' call. there is nothing that says they called us so they agree to the new unit, plus they can't find the old one.

But they don't have a suitable replacement, so they try to give us their cheapest unit ($300). After weekly calls they finally get some in stock. I ask the guy to hold it. We go (my Dad my brother and myself) we look for it, and find one hiding under a table, my brother finds it. and like 10 sales people approach us almost immediately talking about how good it is and want to make the sale. As soon as we pull out the Warrenty they all walk away and one calls the manager on the cell phone (no manager on a Saturday night leading up to Christmas available in the store, BULLSHIT). So the manager says it's sold already, no receipt, no proof nothing and they won't let us take it after some argueing, both my brother and i wanted to Raise Hell but didn't for the sake of our Father.

That night, I called up the head office and accused them of theft for not providing what we are entitled and paid for, and that policies are not being followed but not providing proof. during this time my brother went to another Futureshop and spoke to the manager to said he'll give him they one at that store no problem. We decided against it, because why should another shop write this off?

After a few more calls and threats of going to the paper and news (this case isn't even debatable, almost a whole year without a replacement, then wouldn't give it to us) they said okay and gave it to us.

Ironically i worked there several years later, for the holiday season (although i wasn't hired for the holiday season) then fired me without any warning due to cut hours only to see a new person working the next week. at least now i can go back there (along with my buddy who got ****ed over worse then me) and thank them for fireing us which led to to get jobs that may up to Twice as much and better hours.

towelsnap
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
:whoa ... that's cray

TokyoKiller
12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Found this blog about resenting Best Buy for telling us how great the product is and then after saying yes tells us that it may break in the next two years. Sums it up for me.

http://civpro.blogs.com/civil_procedure/2005/05/note_to_best_bu.html

From the comments on the blog:

I bought an 8.00 remote control at Best Buy a while back, and they still tried to sell me the 20.00 warranty. I couldn't believe the guy was serious.

That one made me laugh out loud!!

crono06
12-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Once my dad went to go buy a router on boxing day. It cost 60 or 70 bucks I believe, and they tried to sell a $20 warranty.

He lol'd and said he would take the gamble.

S.F.W.
12-14-2010, 12:02 AM
I once worked at FS, many years ago. I had a customer spend $15 for an exchange warranty on a $30 printer cable. I didn't event want to offer it, but my manager was walking buy, so I brought it up almost as a joke. Sure enough, customer thought it was a wise choice...

Nextmod
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
I once worked at FS, many years ago. I had a customer spend $15 for an exchange warranty on a $30 printer cable. I didn't event want to offer it, but my manager was walking buy, so I brought it up almost as a joke. Sure enough, customer thought it was a wise choice...

lol

mazdaskit
12-14-2010, 09:03 AM
i wonder if you buy a pop or chips there. Will they ask you if you want the $10 warranty lol

spabla
12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
unless you know someone who works at bbuy, ( you can get 50% off) the warranty is crap

TheMaterial
12-15-2010, 11:48 PM
unless you know someone who works at bbuy, ( you can get 50% off) the warranty is crap

so you won't buy it at full price because its crap but because its now half the amount its suddenly worth it?

crono06
12-15-2010, 11:53 PM
LMAO. It becomes 50% off crap xD

MistaChin
12-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Crap x 0.50 = Crap

I don't see a difference. Save your money.

FoXy
12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
LMAO. It becomes 50% off crap xD

lol hahaha

SilentJay
12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I used to work at FS for a good long while, and was forced to sell warranty on the stupidest things. Like SFW, a manager was buzzing around my area to see if I was actually offering warranty on every sale, so I had to pitch to some poor soul to buy extended warranty on an item that had a fully-comprehensive lifetime warranty already (like no questions asked, they ship replacement to you first, will pay to ship dead item back to themselves). I felt like a dirtbag cuz he actually bought it...

Alex2000
07-31-2011, 10:15 PM
I used to fall for these extended warranties, not any more.....

speedsilver
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I used to work at best buy (not in sales mind you) they seemed like bs to me, but the only thing id buy it on is a tv, just because they are so expensive to replace i got got 50% off at the time, $165 to cover my $2000 tv for 4 years why not. I used to do tv installation and id see tvs go all the time, a sony warranty tech fried a brand new tv with a flash drive while trying to do an update :chuckle

Cab0oze
08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought a used canon S2 camera 3 yrs ago on kijiji that came with an extended warranty. I used it for 5 months, then out of the blue the battery life went to shit (like it would work for 15 pictures on a brand new set of batteries and then die, same day)
I took it in with 2 wks left on the warranty. They took it, then 2 wks later gave it back to me and said that it worked fine, and i was using bad batteries and i should use good quality ones like duracell (which i was). I complained right there, and they said they refused to take it back, and then i asked for the manager who came over and told me that my warranty was now up so they wouldn't touch it.

Never bought an extended warranty from them, and sure as hell never will. What a waste of time.

Jeff-TheBiz
08-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I used to fall for these extended warranties, not any more.....

Thread is 7 months old.. no need to dig it up.

I used to work at best buy (not in sales mind you) they seemed like bs to me, but the only thing id buy it on is a tv, just because they are so expensive to replace i got got 50% off at the time, $165 to cover my $2000 tv for 4 years why not. I used to do tv installation and id see tvs go all the time, a sony warranty tech fried a brand new tv with a flash drive while trying to do an update :chuckle

I have personally had 2 tvs replaced under Future Shops 'bullsh!t' warranty.. an have managed to upgrade each time.. HUGE THANX TO CHUCKIE!!!

27" Sony Grand Wega (CRT weighed like 500lbs.. motherboard issue...) got me a:

32" Sony Rear Projection TV 720p (white line at top, apparently a Sony Recall, but they couldn't fix it within the 30 days) got me a:

47" LG LCD... with PSP of course.

So don't tell me these warranties are a waste of money..

I will say this.. a printer worth $100 or a cable.. no way.. but a $800 camera or a $2000 tv... no brainer..

I bought a used canon S2 camera 3 yrs ago on kijiji that came with an extended warranty. I used it for 5 months, then out of the blue the battery life went to shit (like it would work for 15 pictures on a brand new set of batteries and then die, same day)
I took it in with 2 wks left on the warranty. They took it, then 2 wks later gave it back to me and said that it worked fine, and i was using bad batteries and i should use good quality ones like duracell (which i was). I complained right there, and they said they refused to take it back, and then i asked for the manager who came over and told me that my warranty was now up so they wouldn't touch it.

Never bought an extended warranty from them, and sure as hell never will. What a waste of time.

You should have gone back before the warranty expired and had it resolved then.. they waited it out and won..

Cab0oze
08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
You must have misread, i did bring it back before the warranty time was up. They kept it at their place until the warranty was up, and then gave it back to me and said that it worked fine (even though it didn't)

Jeff-TheBiz
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
You must have misread, i did bring it back before the warranty time was up. They kept it at their place until the warranty was up, and then gave it back to me and said that it worked fine (even though it didn't)

You should have gone back before the warranty expired and had it resolved then.. they waited it out and won..

you misread.. I said you should have went back and followed up..

Cab0oze
08-02-2011, 07:06 PM
you misread.. I said you should have went back and followed up..
No went i mean they kept it, it was at their service center 'being repaired', except when it came back they hadn't done anything, and when i complained they said that it was too bad, i was out of warranty now lol

cwp_sedan
08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
No went i mean they kept it, it was at their service center 'being repaired', except when it came back they hadn't done anything, and when i complained they said that it was too bad, i was out of warranty now lol

A firm hand is always required in a case like that. IMO you didn't give them enough of a backhand and make them ACTUALLY fix it. Oh well too late now.