PDA

View Full Version : 2010 MS3, first oil change - found rust.

WillyH
01-19-2011, 12:24 AM
See attached image. http://img155.imageshack.us/i/img00017no.jpg/

Does anyone know what this component is? It is located in the upper area above the drain bolt.

I bought the extra corrosion and rust protection warranty. I hope this covers it. I have only had my car for 3 months.

I am very pissed at mazda. When I first bought the car, I had a dead battery, empty fuel tank, scratches and rock chips. 2005 GPS map.......I officially hate mazda.:bang

-cj-
01-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Looks like the oil return for the turbo oil feed I think. I wouldn't worry, it's probably isolated to that part. The engine itself won't (shouldn't) rust. That part wouldn't have any rust proofing on it and I'm not surprised that it looks like that... probably every MS3's looks like that...

Elusivellama
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Is this part visible from the top of the engine bay? I'll take a look in mine and see.

MPS
01-19-2011, 01:14 AM
its fine
mine is like that also

WillyH
01-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Won't the rust eat through the component?

Another thing, I didn't see a crush washer on my drain bolt. Is there a chance that it will leak?

I put 5.5 liters of oil into my car And it seems to be a little over max - like half a cm. Do I need to drain it a little?

Sorry for the question - I just don't want my engine to get damaged from the froth the crankshaft can create if it's in the oil.

Elusivellama
01-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Mine is also a little over max to the same amount as yours, I was told that this will cause no problems as there is some amount of leeway. My guess is that half a centimetre is no cause for concern. I was reading a thread on this the other day, some guy had it filled at the dealer and went on a road trip right after. 3000+km later he returned, checked the oil and it was sitting at the S-bend on the dipstick, had the dealer acknowledge that it was way overfilled and drained it.

PearlM3
01-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Does anyone know what this component is? It is located in the upper area above the drain bolt.

I bought the extra corrosion and rust protection warranty. I hope this covers it. I have only had my car for 3 months.

I am very pissed at mazda. When I first bought the car, I had a dead battery, empty fuel tank, scratches and rock chips. 2005 GPS map.......I officially hate mazda.:bang

My first question is...if there were scratches and rock chips on a brand new car, then why did you take delivery

WillyH
01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I inspected the car when it was in a garage. It was dark. I didn't see anything until I looked at it in the daylight the next day at home.

Does this component look like it was taken from an old vehicle and put on mine? It looks really old.......

MajesticBlueNTO
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM

aftermarket corrosion protection warranty won't cover this, read the fine print as to what it will/won't cover (and, for aftermarket rust warranties, it is almost always rust-through of a body panel).

there are many components in the engine bay that will show surface rust. even certain grades of stainless steel will get surface rust. the surface will rust so the 'internals' don't. as long as things are flaking off in chunks, you're good.

which dealership did you buy your 2010 MS3 at? sounds like your dead battery, empty fuel tank, scratches and rock chips were missed by the dealer during the PDI.

as for taking delivery of the car with scratches and rock chips and not noticing it until you got home....lesson learned, inspect the car in daylight or bring a flashlight to look the car over before you take it home. once you sign the papers and drive off the lot, things like that is your responsibility.

WeatherB
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Rust on that part is normal, looks the same as my car. And like -cj- said, it's the oil return pipe for the turbo. The engineers at Mazda probably made the bottom out of a different material fora good reason.

As for the missing crush washer, yes, it will leak. Make sure to get a brand new crush washer everytime you change the oil.

McGuyver_3
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I think I saw a thread on this exact same thing on the US m3f forum and I am pretty sure the outcome was normal.

SickoS2K
01-20-2012, 08:13 PM
I inspected the car when it was in a garage. It was dark. I didn't see anything until I looked at it in the daylight the next day at home.

Does this component look like it was taken from an old vehicle and put on mine? It looks really old.......

never buy a car in the dark lol..

recycled parts on new cars lol...

Kris"Speed3"CWP
02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Won't the rust eat through the component?

Another thing, I didn't see a crush washer on my drain bolt. Is there a chance that it will leak?

I put 5.5 liters of oil into my car And it seems to be a little over max - like half a cm. Do I need to drain it a little?

Sorry for the question - I just don't want my engine to get damaged from the froth the crankshaft can create if it's in the oil.

I would not worry about it as long as your car does not make oil like mine! I found 5.5quarts brings it right to the full line, but in my case after 20km drive its above the X in Max yeah my engine is back on Mazda mineral oil and its past the first kink in dipstick now and its getting harder to start this car and does not sound the same can't wait for my first oil sample!!! new noises everyday lol

gotak
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
You car's going to rust. Even if you apply every rust proofing solution out there. Get used to owing a depreciating asset :)

Did you get winter tires with your car? Have you look at how rusty your wheel hubs are? Don't if that bugs you.

n00bMeiSter
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Not Mazda Canada's fault, it's the dealer. Don't hate an entire brand because of one bad dealership.

Jeff-TheBiz
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Not Mazda Canada's fault, it's the dealer. Don't hate an entire brand because of one bad dealership.

+1

All of those sound like dealer issues

the only thing really that is Mazda Canada would be the maps.. but 2005?? I don't get that..

n00bMeiSter
03-01-2012, 07:02 PM
+1

All of those sound like dealer issues

the only thing really that is Mazda Canada would be the maps.. but 2005?? I don't get that..

Wouldn't maps also be dealer as they're updated during PDI, no?

Jeff-TheBiz
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Wouldn't maps also be dealer as they're updated during PDI, no?

No they come with the car on an SD Card... mine are 2008 iirc.

krimsalt
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
That rust is fine, all iron parts will form surface rust

CelestSpeed3
03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Or just get an aftermarket AN fittings with some stainless line. That will never rust. ATP stocks it for the MS3 already made.