PDA

View Full Version : Door won't open wtf!

sol_searchin
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
:bang:bang:bang Everything worked yesterday and i go out to my car today and the driver's door won't unlock from the inside or out! Is this common in these car's?! Anyone got any idea's for me before I tear into this beautiful car lol

ovie8
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
:bang:bang:bang Everything worked yesterday and i go out to my car today and the driver's door won't unlock from the inside or out! Is this common in these car's?! Anyone got any idea's for me before I tear into this beautiful car lol

probably a broken latch or motor...happened on by dad's MPV...$350 for new motor and latch!

stevenma188
01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Water/ice in the locking mechanism? You can try that lock de-icer stuff

sol_searchin
01-21-2011, 09:30 PM
I think the ****er is seized! has anyone removed a door panel with the door closed on the 3?

stevenma188
01-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't think you can IIRC. I think the inner panel overhangs into the opening.

sol_searchin
01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
There's alway's a way :) I know how it come's off but i'm hoping im not the only one here that it's happened to so I can get advice on the issue.

Jackal
01-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Once the driver's door seized on me. It was just how I closed the door. But it was OK after I opened it from the inside. It hasn't happened again.
Has it fixed itself?

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 02:23 AM
No haha, I'm a big guy 6'2 - 230lbs so crawling through the passenger is TOUGH! I'll be pulling apart the door panel tomorrow (hoping it fixes itself over night!)

Manpreet
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
:flamingthis happend to me right now, dont know what it is have to find a way to open the door panel of

bluemazda3
01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
what the hecks going on... this better not happen to my car... :flaming

Noisy Crow
01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Did you wash your car lately? Might be just full of ice. So warmer weather lube might be all that is needed (plus a shot of lube to prevent recurrence).

MPS
01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
what year is the car ?
and BTW there is no opening the door panel from inside with out braking it
i did this just a litl while ago and its not fun

No haha, I'm a big guy 6'2 - 230lbs so crawling through the passenger is TOUGH! I'll be pulling apart the door panel tomorrow (hoping it fixes itself over night!)

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
04', No I haven't washed the car for the last week, it did rain and then got cold real quick so who know's?

sas
01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
The lock is mounted deep inside of the door, it will be problematic to do something with it. I can suggest to use a hair dryer from inside of the car to warm this gap between door and central pillar. All lock parts made in metal it shouldn’t take to long.

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Hair drier is a no go, it can actually bubble the paint.

sas
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
There no more then 45-60 degC from hair drier , it never can hurt to the paint.
I used the heat gun to apply the sound deadening it was a way higher temperature.

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
The heat won't penetrate through the door/seal, I've put the car in a heated shop and ran it with the heat on inside and still a no-go. Latch is seized or actuator failed in the lock position (Almost guarantee it's the latter).

sas
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Driver’s door has a separate fuse and relay in Passenger Junction Box.
Maybe problem is there. You should hear a clicking relay in PJB area.

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 04:27 PM
the manual lock inside the car is jammed as is the outer lock mechanism, I doubt it but were exactly is the passenger junction box?

sas
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Can’t find a decent manual.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=104874.0

It’s in passenger legs. You need in a flash light there. There are two holes in plastic cover.
Unlock clips and pull this cover down. Now, there are two locks , turn them to unlock the pjb. Fuse names are written on cover,interesting to you is " D2/Lock" 15A.

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok, thank's ill go take a look now.

sas
01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I think you can forget about PJB. If button is jammed then most like it’s a frozen cable.

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 05:25 PM
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=145196.0

which one

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I'll check it anyway i doubt it but it's easy to check so why not, my original guess with the actuator failing in the lock position or the latch mechanism is seized.

Manpreet did your's resolve?

sas
01-22-2011, 05:31 PM
F37

MajesticBlueNTO
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
3rd item down in the pics (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?47306-FS-racing-beat-springs-and-door-latch-mechanism)

brand new OEM door mechanisms for sale...comes with latch and cable

Manpreet
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I'll check it anyway i doubt it but it's easy to check so why not, my original guess with the actuator failing in the lock position or the latch mechanism is seized.

Manpreet did your's resolve?

yea i fixed it with my buddy, he took out the door handle inside panel, pushed the wire connected to the lock switch while unlocked the door. that worked for a while then happened again. after that, he did the same thing to unlock the door and then pushed the latch mechanism to see if that was the issue. once that was done, i haven't had an issue with it getting stuck.

Noisy Crow
01-22-2011, 08:37 PM
If you do end up having to wreck the door panel to get at the lock mechanism, a guy on M3F has door panels up for sale:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=184703.0;topicseen

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 09:30 PM
nice! willing to part with the drivers side?

3rd item down in the pics (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?47306-FS-racing-beat-springs-and-door-latch-mechanism)

brand new OEM door mechanisms for sale...comes with latch and cable

sol_searchin
01-22-2011, 09:31 PM
PM'd you

yea i fixed it with my buddy, he took out the door handle inside panel, pushed the wire connected to the lock switch while unlocked the door. that worked for a while then happened again. after that, he did the same thing to unlock the door and then pushed the latch mechanism to see if that was the issue. once that was done, i haven't had an issue with it getting stuck.

sol_searchin
01-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Still having this issue lol, manpreet get back to me !

sas
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
I must ask you for forgiveness. It was midnight and I was dumb to think about something else.
I mislead you, the electric part has nothing to do here when you open the door by key or from inside. It’s a pure mechanical problem. I think you have tried everything, if not, try to play by key and handle simultaneously, push the door (maybe latch is stuck somewhere on half way ).
You can remove this plastic trim under the handle as Manpreet did. Not much you can see there but who knows.

sol_searchin
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
^ Exactly what I was thinking, I'm open to try anything easy lol. Manpreet said he fixed it with just the handle peice off so I pm'd him hoping for a response back sooner than later! At least i'll have an idea instead of going in blind.

sas
01-24-2011, 11:01 AM
You can look on the passenger side how it works. There is a turning fork being blocked by dog from downside, by pulling the handle you just release the dog and fork turning free again. This dog becoming inaccessible if was enabled the double lock. I think Manpreet played by double lock cable.

The handle cap you can remove easily. There is hidden screw under plug.

sol_searchin
01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Ok so when I pull the door handle cap off there is a line that goes behind it, but not much space to work, i'm going to try screwing around with it now.

sas
01-24-2011, 01:48 PM
It’s for better understanding.
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/sas2000_album/doorhandleMZ3.jpg
Upper cable is double lock. You even can unlock the cable shield from its place.But better to not do it.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
nice! willing to part with the drivers side?

PM silvermist99 as he has the parts still.

the gear teeth in the lock mechanism are supposedly plastic and are known to wear over time (apparently a common issue with older proteges).

the cables in the pic shown by sas run down to where the latch is (where the lock mechanism sits). see if you can pull on the lock cable (the top one) with some needle nose pliers to try and unlock the door. if jiggling the cable doesn't work, your latch may be hosed.

sol_searchin
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
SAS : wow man thank's a lot that picture saved me some time pulling the passenger panel. It got cold quick here so I didn't get to far tonight lol.

So what exactly is the "double cable"

sol_searchin
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Majestic: Will do thank's!

sas
01-25-2011, 01:49 AM
I’m speaking about latch, I thought this term will be better to not confuse with main lock or mechanical part.

sol_searchin
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm going to check it out this afternoon

sas
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I hope you will have it opened, because I don’t see a way how you could access to the power lock without breaking up the trim. Then, there are harness and cables which have to be disconnected. To do it yourself in so small space, I afraid that this task will be complex even for experienced person. I have read about couple of cases when dealer was able to open the door even without trim damages.

sol_searchin
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I hope not to take it to the dealer to get bent over but I will if I have to!

sas
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
I’d had tried this way.
Put your car into shop and warm the door by halogen lamp. Now, open the window and unroll part of door trim from window. There will be one centimeter gap between window and metal. You can insert a hose here to spray the actuator by wd40. For comfort you can tap a wire to this hose. Maybe it will work.

Noisy Crow
01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Maybe you could try CAA or a similar service that deals with people locking their keys in their car.... depending on how they open the door they might be able to bypass whatever is stuck........

sol_searchin
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I tried CAA they won't touch it because I'm not actually "locked out" lol, I'll post my result's when I try out all these ideas

sol_searchin
01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok had a look today, Latch line won't budge! Going to double check the PJB tomorrow

Jackal
01-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Ok had a look today, Latch line won't budge! Going to double check the PJB tomorrow

This is taking a while. Good luck. I hope you won't have to get 'bent over' as you so eloquently put it.

sas
01-27-2011, 02:42 AM
I have read a few non English Mazda forums.This illness is well known in Mazda6 world, they say that there is a small, falling off, spring inside of the actuator. I have another exotic idea, Vibrational machines can make parts to move.The palm sander is first what coming into mind. I don’t know how it is acceptable for you and what you have in your arsenal, just idea. I'm unsured it will work with mazda3, possible it will be interesting for you http://forum.mazda6club.com/models-trim/233456-driver-door-locked-won-t-unlock.html

sol_searchin
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm going to call the dealer right now see what they can do, I get part's for cost so hoping labour won't be to much I haven't had a dealer repair anything for me in years lol

sol_searchin
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
So i brought the sucker into Mazda, Actuator was shot! and now it's fixed no more crawling through the passenger side haha, BUT i have an issue now, my outer door handle is loose! almost like there is no tension at all (it does still work) My guess is the tech yanked on it to hard and broke it or it's not fully tightened.

sas
01-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Congrats with the end of the epic.
I can’t say what is wrong there. The whole assembly is fastened by the bolt inside of the door.
The handle itself is being returned by the torsion spring. Possible this spring wasn’t armed.

sol_searchin
01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I hope they didn't break my door handle, I called this morning and they told me " The technician was in a rush last night while working on your car" I was shocked that a service advisor would make that out to be a reason why my car wasn't repaired properly!

bluemazda3
01-28-2011, 01:21 PM
take that back and get them to fix it properly.... damn no excuse.. im a rush...

sas
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
lol . Dealers are like doctors, it newer will stop if you start visiting them.
Let to the dialer to finish his work.

McGuyver_3
01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
thats super shallow of a dealer even to admit that. They could have made up a better story then that

sol_searchin
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I was in some serious shock when they told me that lol, They did repair the handle - tech forgot to tighten the handle and he didn't align the door lock assembly so it was grinding against the striker.

Review coming on Forbes Mazda shortly.

McGuyver_3
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
I was in some serious shock when they told me that lol, They did repair the handle - tech forgot to tighten the handle and he didn't align the door lock assembly so it was grinding against the striker.

main thing they fixed it

Jackal
01-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Did they charge you again?

sol_searchin
01-28-2011, 10:46 PM
No, I wouldn't pay the bill if they had charged me lol.

McGuyver_3
01-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Did they charge you again?

generally they are not allowed to recharge you because in this case the car would be classified a "comeback". Since the complaint is of the exact place were the previous repair was done their cannot be a charge for it

sol_searchin
01-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I am happy that the job was finally done no doubt! Hated the crawling through the passenger side hahah I was going to do it myself but to much of a hassle. I paid 100 latch assembly and a bunch of clip's (cost on all part's) and roughly 100 labour, taxes and all I paid 240 - that is a big + I have for forbes the price1

main thing they fixed it