PDA

View Full Version : 2010 White Mazda 3 Paint (orange flakes in paint)

Torrey
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I will post pictures after I wash my car in a few days... but has anyone noticed what appears to be orange flakes in their paint??

It's all over the car, mainly on the driver and passenger side as well as the rear tailgate. If I work at them with my nail it eventually comes off, but it's quite noticeable.

Are there products out there that can remedy this?

PR3Y11
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Clay bar the car. All of us cwp's get this.

Torrey
05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks, which product do you recommend, as there's a few levels of to choose from.

PR3Y11
05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I've heard mothers is good. I've tried mcguires on my last car and works wonders. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this too so just use the search. On my phone right now otherwise I could just link it. Good luck.

Torrey
05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the help!

Jeff-TheBiz
05-10-2011, 02:08 PM
It is rail dust.. very common, however more noticable on the white.

Jays M3 Sport
05-12-2011, 09:16 AM
My brother is a car detailer and he said it's rust spots because the clear coat is not the top of the line. Mother's has a great clay bar kit and with about 2 or 3 hours of time my brother said they will be gone.

jmaggs
05-18-2011, 11:21 AM
My brother is a car detailer and he said it's rust spots because the clear coat is not the top of the line. Mother's has a great clay bar kit and with about 2 or 3 hours of time my brother said they will be gone.

I had a silver car before my white M3, and I never had this issue. I have to clay bar my car every spring to get rid of the rusting metal embedded in the clear coat. Pain in the ass for sure.

I use Mothers Clay bar kit as well.

ZeroChalk
05-18-2011, 05:38 PM
klasse AIO does a much better job then a clay bar in getting rid of the orange specs. I usually do that first and then use the clay bar for the grit.

sarujo
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
The rust spots are from rail dust, not low quality clear coat. The rail dust comes from train transportation as the cars come from the West coast to here in the East.

bluemazda3
06-03-2011, 12:45 PM
claybar.. n search first before you post

provizion
05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I used spray 9 and elbow grease

Hope that helps

chan7
05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Use a clay bar kit. A very simple process and will eliminate all the rail dust.

ACC_Archie
05-11-2012, 12:11 PM
My last 3 was white and I almost had the dealership talked into a new clearcoat paint job under warranty. I had them claybar the car for me under warranty at least x2 times but the problem would always come back. I ended up trading it in for my current speed3.

aris
05-11-2012, 07:47 PM
All cars get rail dust (orange spots) but white is the colour you notice it lol

Like others said clay bar will take care of it

seek
05-12-2012, 07:00 AM
warranty should take care of this, otherwise you can use a claybar as everyone said. but be careful, claybar is like a very fine sandpaper, so watch ur clearcoat

aris
05-12-2012, 07:45 AM
warranty should take care of this, otherwise you can use a claybar as everyone said. but be careful, claybar is like a very fine sandpaper, so watch ur clearcoat

I don't see how warranty will take care of it if you didn't buy the paint protection?

My dealer told my sister in law no its not covered under warranty cause she didn't buy paint protection.

Jackal
05-12-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?23313-Orange-Brown-Rust-Spot-All-Over-Paint

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?62999-Decontamination-Detail-Adventure-in-3-hours-by-Jackal

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?53767-Clay-bars-is-it-worth-the-extra-effort/page4&highlight=Clay+bar

Do a decontamination detail. Get a sponsor (Concours Touch, Elevated Car Care, JR Auto Concepts) to do it or DIY. You should at least clay bar it or use Iron X or something similar then clay bar it.

Akiba48
05-12-2012, 10:28 AM
+1 to clay bar...but before clay bar, get a jug of Wolf's Decon Deironizer gel, pour it into a spray bottle (make sure it sprays mist, and not a stream) and spray it on the areas where you see those specks of rail dust. In 15-20 minutes, most of the rail dust can be washed away, but you STILL need to use a clay bar.

I personally use Turtle Wax ICE clay bar kit

seek
05-13-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't see how warranty will take care of it if you didn't buy the paint protection?

My dealer told my sister in law no its not covered under warranty cause she didn't buy paint protection.

you know rail dust cost the orange flake, unless op lives beside railway? otherwise they were already embed when being transport

aris
05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
you know rail dust cost the orange flake, unless op lives beside railway? otherwise they were already embed when being transport
Rail dust will happen all the time... It's not a one time thing. Every summer it will be back.

JHX 1138
05-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Rail dust will happen all the time... It's not a one time thing. Every summer it will be back.

i don't get it - if it happens because of the transportation method from West to East (trains), why will it come back every summer?

and how about those with Black Mz3's -- you guys getting it also? orange spots on black should be very noticeable too...

aris
05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
i don't get it - if it happens because of the transportation method from West to East (trains), why will it come back every summer?

and how about those with Black Mz3's -- you guys getting it also? orange spots on black should be very noticeable too...

My sister in law has a white mazda3 and for the last 4.5 years she's owned it it's back every summer.

It's not noticeable in darker colours.

Rail dust is what they call it....now why they call it that i have no idea.

DualSoul
05-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Googled this answer:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/93-wax-wax-off/258340-what-rail-dust.html

Flagrum_3
05-16-2012, 12:49 PM

It doesn't happen 'ONLY' during the original transportation, just more likely!...Rail dust is everywhere and amongst many other contaminants floating around that can embed themselfs into the clearcoat. If anyone gets the impression metal particles can't float around, go check out a large machine shop. These contaminants will embed into the clearcoat and eventually work their way thru to 'touch' the sheet metal beneath the paint/ primer causing serious rust issues. Trick is to get them out before this happens which is why claying a vehicle atleast once a year is a good practice, more often is even better....Any colour car! Blue or Black cars forget 'seeing' them, just assume they are there...I clay my car 2-3 times a year.

_3

bmxnwrx
06-28-2012, 09:10 AM
i need to get on this, my car has lots of this all over it.

Jim94
01-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Which scratch filler would you guys recommend and where can I find touch up paint for Crystal White 34K?

Booter22
01-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Which scratch filler would you guys recommend and where can I find touch up paint for Crystal White 34K?

dealer - paint pens are about $12+HST

5_Alive
01-23-2013, 08:41 AM

How the hell does buying the dealerships "paint protection" have ANYTHING to do with warranty? Mazda Canada could care less as this is a dealer-offered service & has nothing to do with warranty. Trust me, I know.
Sounds like they were trying to take her for a ride.

People, keep your cars clean. If you don't know how, take it to someone that does, preferably a sponsor on the board.
I've seen many people cause more damage trying to detail their vehicles because they are uneducated or don't know how to do it.