PDA

View Full Version : Can't solve brake squeal problem

Chixdig
06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I have a 2004 Mazda 3 sedan. I had my pads and rotors replaced a few months ago. My brakes had been squealing for a while, but usually quieted down after a bit of driving.
The mechanic recommended paying a bit extra for Wagner Thermoquiet pads. Within a month, the squeal returned, and this time wasn't going
away when the car warmed up. I went back to the garage only to find it under new ownership. The new mechanic charged me for labour and
replaced the pads under warranty. One month later, the horrible squeal is back.
Is there something inherently wrong with the 2004 Mazda 3 that will cause a squeal no matter what pads I use?
Could I have had two incompetent mechanics? Should I just try new pads?

cwp_sedan
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Does it squeal only after it rains or is it all of the time?

How do the rotors look? Have you tried bedding the brakes to see if that helps?

Skippy
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM
You could try new pads. You could also try to clean your rotors with brake cleaner to see if that rids of the squeal. If you have the cash you could also try a different set of pads, some members on here could chirp in on which ones they're using, I however am using Mazda ones.

Kwokalobster
06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
When you first replaced the pads and rotors, did you following proper bedding procedures? If not, then check your rotors to see if they are warped. I bedded my slotted crossed drill rotors and hwk hps pads, i went for about 300km's with slow, interval braking from the ranges 60-80km/h. But yeah, check your rotors. Good luck! :)

Chixdig
06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
My wife is the main driver of this car. While I explained to her the concept of bedding, I highly doubt she stuck to the plan.
Still, I'm not sure if her driving could have caused the kind of squealing that's occurring.
I'm talking rusted 1959 Mac Truck kind of squealing.
I'll check the rotors for warping. If they're fine, I guess I have no choice but to try different pads? Should I be responsible for paying for them? If the garage installed pads that cause me to lose my hearing, I sure feel like they should be responsible for replacing them.

Kwokalobster
06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Where are you located Chixdig?

Chixdig
06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Where are you located Chixdig?

mid town Toronto

(Allen Rd and Eglinton)

Newlook
07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey I have the same problem. I replaced my front brakes at 140K (both pads and rotors)... with Thermoquiet pads. 5,000km later they start to squeal every time I brake. I went back, the guy changed them for me under the pads' warranty..... another 5,000, the noise comes back.

I have them for over 8,000 now and it's getting worse. Dry day, hot day, rainly ANY DAY! My car sounds like a downtown cabbie when I brake. I think I should try another brand of pads and see if the problem goes away. I'll leave replacing my calipers as my last resort.

Skippy
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
So two people, same pads, same problem. I'm going to say that those pads are crap? Try OEM pads, or get a set of Hawk HPS.

Default User
07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I know the rear pads are cheap as **** and always squeal. Same problem on Saab an Fords.

Maybe something to check out

maz06
07-07-2011, 11:59 PM
They may not be the best pads so after awhile the dust remains on them causing the squealing, make sure its not doing anything funny to the rotors because those aren't cheap

FLIPDADY
07-08-2011, 05:20 AM
So two people, same pads, same problem. I'm going to say that those pads are crap? Try OEM pads, or get a set of Hawk HPS.
+1

Thermoquiet pads are no good. Use to sell them when I worked at a parts store in Scarborough. The cheapest pads aftermarket are just as good. Go OEM or Hawks.

Chixdig
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Just as an update -

My wife took the car back to the mechanic a few days ago.
After two unsuccessful tries with the Thermoquiets, he installed Wagner Quickstop pads.
So far so good, but we'll see what happens in a few thousand kms.

Newlook
07-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Does it make a difference between the Thermoquiet ceramic and semi-metallic?

I'm running ceramic now, on regular rotors. They don't seem to be a good match. Wondering if semi-metallic would do better.

Chixdig
07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Not sure which of the two Thermoquiets I had installed...will have to ask