PDA

View Full Version : Time to go big turbo!!!!!!

Fack_Dude
09-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey guys,

After saving cash for the 2012 Subaru sti and having the wife scream at me....lol. I just decided to keep the speed.

I'm think of going with the bnr stage 3 turbo. What are your thoughts on this turbo. I heard that this turbo has quick spool up time.

I have the reworked protege turbo right now but its a piece of shit.

I would like to go the ATP route but i just want something that I can install and tune. I'm not looking for big hp power like some brothers have here.

BlueStreak
09-04-2011, 12:32 PM
The BNR is a GT2871 in stock turbo clothing. I should net you somewhere in the range of 350whp. From the looks of it, it seems like a capable setup.

The ATP turbos only really require you to get a larger turbo inlet pipe to run. Everything else can run off the stock components.

Fobio
09-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't consider my 3071 a "big" turbo.

WRT spool time, it touches on the topic of planning out your build. At the moment, very few options are available to give the driver fast spool and big HP...you know, best of both worlds? Esp with bolt-on options allowing one to use the Mazda-proprietary 5-bolt downpipe and mating to the 4-bolt exhaust manifold outlet. I can imagine the new BorgWarner EFR turbo's can deliver an uprate to current "bigger" turbo's spool while offering even better flow up top...along with a twinscroll T4 manifold, you can spool fast and hard and still make big hp. Having said that, it really depends on what kind of driving you plan to do.

For example...on the street. Is the K04 not spooling fast enough for you? Or do you find yourself wanting more power in the top end? Personally, I wouldn't want the car to spool harder below 3000rpm. I also don't mind winding the car out and using the rpm range. On the street, I find that the K04 is pretty awesome if you rarely go above 5000rpm. For around town, it's got amazing response for a turbo'd car.

Beyond the street, everyone have their own expectations. So no need for me to assert my POV here, and you'll definitely do your own planning there.

My point, is that a big turbo isn't necessary for bigger power with the stock K04...I made 300whp fully bolted to the K04. To do it safely, it takes a good tune. It was ideal for driving around town and "crusing" on the hwy. Beyond that, going up the Andretti Straight at Mosport @ 220 - 230km/h isn't considered fast enough nowadays...so it all depends on what you need the car to do. For autox, a BNR Stg3 is a good choice...but you also pay quite a bit for a new one.

joedemarco
09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
What is considered "fully bolted"? please try not to use too many short forms as I am not familiar with too many. Put the whole and short form if you dont mind.

Thanks.

Booostin
09-29-2011, 10:15 PM
What is considered "fully bolted"? please try not to use too many short forms as I am not familiar with too many. Put the whole and short form if you dont mind.

Thanks.

Bolt on mods... downpipe/exhaust/intake/front mount/top mount....etc

stuff like that.

joedemarco
10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Bolt on mods... downpipe/exhaust/intake/front mount/top mount....etc

stuff like that.

So i guess thats the base of midding, getting all the bolt ons then working into others.