PDA

View Full Version : Front end clunk noises

igzy
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Had some probs recently with my 2004 GT: changed a rear shock (completely leaked out), front sway bar end links (rattled like crazy), so am not very happy with this car at the moment :(

I would need some help with suspension noise: after the front end links change, I still get a rattle (different than end link noise) from the front end when going over bumps, it sounds more like a clunk noise (klak..... klak.... somewhat a delay between the klak-klak, whereas end links have more of a baby toy higher frequency of rattling). I checked the ball joints and they appear to be OK. Would this be the noise they would create?

Are there any other typical problems with the front end noises other than end links? Noise comes when coming straight onto bumps or man-holes, not in turns. Any tips on how to confirm the other potential parts? Strut plates?

Many thanks!

TheMAN
09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
probably strut mounts... they're plastic and are ford parts.... from france!

igzy
09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
probably strut mounts... they're plastic and are ford parts.... from france!

Hehe, thanks :) Any way I can confirm if it is indeed them that are rattling?

igzy
09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Found some tips on another thread that it could be the front bushings. So I picked up a pair from Mountain Mazda this evening. Will install them on Saturday - will report back how that goes :)

igzy
09-10-2011, 10:31 PM
An update! So I got some sway bar bushings and I was going to replace them this morning. Took the wheel off, got a large pry bar and went to check them, they were tight. So, that wasn't it. I look down and see that the end link boots had grease on them, I lifted the edge of it and it was bone dry underneath and there was some rust too! And that's what was knocking!! They were about a month old! So I went back to CarQuest where I got them and exchanged them for some Raybestos parts. Installed them and guess what: no more noise :)

The boot design was poor of those parts (they were CarQuest brand). The little rubber ring that is supposed to keep the grease in the boot broke and was nowhere to be found and that's how the grease leaked out. The Raybestos parts have a different design altogether of the boot and will last longer (*fingers crossed*) :)

bluemazda3
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
:thumbsup