PDA

View Full Version : How to remove 2011 tail lights to apply nite-shade...

tre_77
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I was going to mask it off then apply 3 coats. But it looks like I should remove them and lay them flat to avoid drippage..... So how do I remove them?

Hyperion
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Ah. Very carefully. Done it twice myself. My car and Fayvirs. Because careful. I have a nice scar from it.
Might I ask Hatch or Sedan. If it's sedan I can give you more help

mounir
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread but where did you get your hands on nite-shades ? I've been trying to find some for weeks !

Hyperion
10-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Canadian Tire.
Automotive section. Look for the purple VHT spray paint can. 1 will work fine for all 4 lights. Also get some Krylon clearcloat.

mounir
10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I've been to two CTs in Mississauga and one in Milton. They only carry the red nite-shades

tre_77
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks Hyperion. I have the graphite sedan (GS). To tell you the truth, it was your's and Fayvir's car that sparked my interest in tinting them. Your cars look awesome!

And yes, I found my nite shade in Canadian Tire by the auto paints.

tre_77
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Also, how did u do your reflectors?

Fayvir
10-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks Hyperion. I have the graphite sedan (GS). To tell you the truth, it was your's and Fayvir's car that sparked my interest in tinting them. Your cars look awesome!

And yes, I found my nite shade in Canadian Tire by the auto paints.

Another Graphite sedan ! :)
Thanks man, you should def join the group - it gives the car a totally different look.
Remember to grab the clearcoat as well, or else the nightshades might come off, better to protect it than to regret it later.

For the reflectors, we just left them in there, figured it was way too troublesome to take them out, so we taped the crap around it and just sprayed away, do light coats though, so it doesn't drip :)

Hyperion
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Personally I would rather not take off the bumper to paint reflectors lol.
But that's up to you

tre_77
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to tape everything up real good and do light coats. Getting my windows tinted tomorrow. Ill post some pics eventually.

terapr0
10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
why not just buy vinyl reflector overlays? Its removable, offers more protection and costs the same, if not less than a spray-on solution like niteshade...

tre_77
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, I've had my car for about 2 weeks now and am eager to start Modding. I looked into overlays, but don't want to wait for them to ship to me lol

Hyperion
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
why not just buy vinyl reflector overlays? Its removable, offers more protection and costs the same, if not less than a spray-on solution like niteshade...

Night shades cost $12.99 I believe. And 1 can will do all 4 lights, and both reflectors. (3 coats each)

FoXy
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Well, I've had my car for about 2 weeks now and am eager to start Modding. I looked into overlays, but don't want to wait for them to ship to me lol

You could have them in like 3-4 days if you ordered them. THey look way better and actually REFLECT light like they are supposed to, unlike nightshade

tre_77
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Well, I guess I'm impatient. Lol. But having seen Hyperion and fayvirs I'm confident mine will look just as nice, although I don't plan on making them as dark.

Fayvir
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, I guess I'm impatient. Lol. But having seen Hyperion and fayvirs I'm confident mine will look just as nice, although I don't plan on making them as dark.

I went with less coats since I didn't want them as dark as Hyperion's but it's really personal preference.
I had about 3 coats on my reflectors and they still reflect light.
Good luck :)

Hyperion
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again.
When you only apply 1-2 layers the light reflecting off the chrome on the inside of the lights will give them a turquoise look from 80% of viewable angles.
You have been for warned.

ScoreyS
11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Hyperion's

When you only apply 1-2 layers the light reflecting off the chrome on the inside of the lights will give them a turquoise look from 80% of viewable angles.
=================================

You meant if I had in mind to only put 1 coat of the VHT (purple can)
on my tail lights to keep transparency on my light it's gonna have a turquoise look ?

Is that gonna look good ?

Hyperion
11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Hyperion's

=================================

You meant if I had in mind to only put 1 coat of the VHT (purple can)
on my tail lights to keep transparency on my light it's gonna have a turquoise look ?

Is that gonna look good ?

I personally don't like a turquoise look on my lights, and I doubt you will either. 1 Coat is not enough.

Fuyuzora
11-20-2011, 10:15 PM
You could always just drink a bottle of pop or something and spray a test surface... Put some foil inside or something to simulate the chrome in the tail lamps.

Might be easier to just see it for yourself.

Kiyomi
11-21-2011, 01:57 AM
alternative, get the lights wrapped. :D

Adamo23
03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
just get the lights wrapped in tint film. i did mine with the spray and one side was darker than the other then i tried to even them out and they got too dark so i was screwing around forever to try and remove the spray. and i also noticed that the spray tends to fade over time. just get them wrapped looks way better and it doesnt look dull

Hyperion
03-03-2012, 09:50 PM
It's fading a bit for me too, but I like the look, and it's very cheap.

Default User
04-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Also, how did u do your reflectors?

Thanks guys. I'm going to tape everything up real good and do light coats. Getting my windows tinted tomorrow. Ill post some pics eventually.

have the tinters tint your bumper reflectors at the same time

peterm15
04-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Did mine the other day. Although I'm still working on the reflectors. I just got busy.

As for the can you can EASILY do all lights 3 times ( I did mine twice. )
The first time they were WAY to dark so I stripped them and did it again

Freakzaz
04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
For those saying tint film/vinyl wrap the lights, it might be better/easier to use nightshade no? Reason is most shops won't even attempt to vinyl wrap our tails anymore because it's just not worth the time (this may be for hatches only tho, since hatches have different taillights and are harder to wrap). And I've seen people's self attempts for wrapping ended with many bubbles usually. Just my 2 cents. :)

Default User
04-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I sprayed mine in red - but not with the VHT Nightshade stuff.

I used DupliColor MetalCast paint.
It's a tinted translucent paint meant for chrome. Comes in 5-or so different colors including "Smoke"

It's supposed to give chromed items the Anodized look - hence the translucency. And because it's meant for chrome, it keeps its SHINE.

This is after 5-6 coats of Red MetalCast (I have yet to wet-sand and polish)

http://img.tapatalk.com/ae72f7b2-248b-f2a2.jpg

As an added bonus - the MetalCast is Hella Cheap at only $10 a bottle at crappy tire