PDA

View Full Version : Clunking front suspension

horto
10-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Car has been at QEW Mazda most of the week with the front suspension ripped apart. Replaced bump stops, bearings, end links and threw in 2 new OEM front shocks for shits and giggles (and because SSG still hasn't got my koni's... 8+ months and counting). front end is still clunking when going over bumps and rough pavement. What else could it be? Tie rod/lower control arm? Ball joints are still good. 130k km on the car. :bang

Thrizzl3
10-08-2011, 11:07 PM
are you on the stock sway bars? i have the same issue...

alhope34
10-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Sway bar bushings fix all.

Had to change my front bushings twice and rears once. Removed all clunking both times I changed them.

Darkice
10-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Check ur brakes i know my rear ones clunk when that little pin is gone from the pads

breakfasteatre
10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Car has been at QEW Mazda most of the week with the front suspension ripped apart. Replaced bump stops, bearings, end links and threw in 2 new OEM front shocks for shits and giggles (and because SSG still hasn't got my koni's... 8+ months and counting). front end is still clunking when going over bumps and rough pavement. What else could it be? Tie rod/lower control arm? Ball joints are still good. 130k km on the car. :bang

are you paying for all of that or is it somehow covered under warranty?

horto
10-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Had to change my front bushings twice and rears once. Removed all clunking both times I changed them.

Pretty sure those were replaced w/ end links. Will double-check.

are you paying for all of that or is it somehow covered under warranty?

Not covered under warranty :( I just can't stand the sound anymore!

Fobio
10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
hey horto...long time no see/chat!

I got my front sway bar bushing replaced ...I got them for under $30 a pair @ SpeedStar as per advise from Donutz/Jason...what FSB are you runng?

alhope34
10-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Pretty sure those were replaced w/ end links. Will double-check.

They werent when I had my end links replaced under warranty for the same noise and didnt fix it. Get them changed!!!!!!

horto
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Vince - yeah, life/work has been super busy lately. We need another wings meet :) I'm running all stock suspension including FSB.

Al - you were right, the bushings hadn't been replaced, they were done and now the noise is gone.

alhope34
10-11-2011, 03:56 PM
^^ Excellent! Glad to hear.

speedsilver
12-02-2011, 07:36 AM
im having the same issue, and i had a strut replaced when i got the car, now ill try this, thanks! (a lot less expensive of a fix than i thought :D)

Murrayspeed
01-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I had the same problem so i replaced the swar bar end links. Its fixed it for a few weeks then i broke my passangers side control arm. Fixed that then blew a strut. Then said screw it and did Tien super street coilovers all around. Workin like a peach since then haha

SickoS2K
01-20-2012, 08:06 PM
I had the same problem so i replaced the swar bar end links. Its fixed it for a few weeks then i broke my passangers side control arm. Fixed that then blew a strut. Then said screw it and did Tien super street coilovers all around. Workin like a peach since then haha

:chuckle

AHickman
04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
sounds like a pain in the ass

krimsalt
04-22-2012, 07:21 PM

This is most often the issue. And it seems the only one left. A-arm (or control arm, whatever you want to call it) as well as sway bar end linkages, and stabilyzer links could be bad. Try the sway bar links first

joedemarco
04-22-2012, 11:45 PM
so what I think could be leaky shocks...may very well just be sway bar bushings...I'll have to get those changed.

Anyone know where I should get them? contact info?

Thanks

alhope34
04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Get them from the dealer. They are cheap.

-ToM-
04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
ya i got the same problem here, would maybe tightening the bushing work ?

alhope34
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Just replace them, they are cheap so you shouldn't be. I don't think they are something you can really "tighten" anyway.

Wild Weasel
11-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Hey... are there any better urethane bushings or something so they don't need to be replaced again in a couple years?

And how tough is this to do in a driveway? I expect the rear ones are easy. What about the fronts?

dexter
11-04-2014, 08:14 AM
I had a shop do the fronts on mine last year because we didn't know the source of the clunk and it ended up being the bushings that fixed it. The rears I just swapped out a couple weeks ago and can be done in about an hour in the drive way. Super easy install. The bushing may look intact but they seem to get as hard as plastic over time which is probably the cause of many clunks. Both my fronts and rears looked fine, replaced both and both times it stopped a clunk.

betterthansx
11-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Anyone know how much the shops charge to change the bushing? It is a $30.00 but if it is $500 in labor to replace it, I will try to do it myself!

SomeGuy
11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Anyone know how much the shops charge to change the bushing? It is a $30.00 but if it is $500 in labor to replace it, I will try to do it myself!

FSB bushings are several hours work...the parts are cheap but getting them in/out is a pain in the ass.

betterthansx
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
FSB bushings are several hours work...the parts are cheap but getting them in/out is a pain in the ass.

I just YouTubed it (should have done that first) and it looks like you have to drop the whole front subframe...damn

Might as well replace the swaybars while I'm at it!

SomeGuy
11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
I just YouTubed it (should have done that first) and it looks like you have to drop the whole front subframe...damn

Might as well replace the swaybars while I'm at it!

Yes you do, you might be able to snake a wrench in there but it's super tight and at least one of the bushing fasteners won't back all the way out from what I remember.

And yes you might as well do the FSB as a whole while you're at it.

McGuyver_3
11-13-2014, 06:01 AM
You CAN get the front sway bar bushings replaced without even dropping the sub frame, BUT it's not easy. Been there done that in my driveway on jacks.

Wild Weasel
11-13-2014, 08:21 PM
You CAN get the front sway bar bushings replaced without even dropping the sub frame, BUT it's not easy. Been there done that in my driveway on jacks.

Any tips and tricks for this one? I'm ok with difficult. :D

And is there any answer on whether there's something better to be used so it doesn't need to be done again in a couple years?

McGuyver_3
11-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately I do not have any pointers. It's one of those things you just have to get a feel for. You can however follow this persons tutorial click (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123774382-How-To-Replace-Front-Sway-Bar-Bushings) hope this helps. I have to admit though, they made this a little easier on the gen 2's, not much but a little lol

Wild Weasel
11-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Ok. Picking up the parts tomorrow. Not sure I'll have a chance to attempt it this weekend, but we'll see.

His first instruction says to take off the end links. Has anyone got any pointers on doing that properly? I've done it at least twice in the past for strut changes, and both times I cursed at them a lot, used vice grips in the process, and swore that there had to be a better way. :)

McGuyver_3
11-14-2014, 09:18 PM
I found that as long as you disconect both sway bar bushings at the same time, there is no need to remove the endlinks. I left mine connected. You do have some play room.

Wild Weasel
11-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Yeah... I found different instructions involving removing a chassis brace and skid plate underneath and then reaching the bushings from there.

I'm crafty. If it can be done, I'll figure it out. :D

Wild Weasel
11-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Well... the first attempt was a fail. Did you go in through the side with the wheel off or from underneath with the skid plate thing off? I tried from underneath but couldn't get any sort of wrench or socket on it with enough leverage to loosen the bolts.

Got cold and gave up. :D

McGuyver_3
11-15-2014, 05:35 PM
YGPM

brucewayne
11-17-2014, 03:33 AM
any progress made in the no subframe drop attempt?

Wild Weasel
11-17-2014, 06:15 PM
any progress made in the no subframe drop attempt?

Not by me, but McGuyver's offered to give me a hand with it, so once we find the time I'll be back to give an update. :D

Wild Weasel
02-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Well... my issue is resolved.

Car is gone. :(