PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 Gt - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Drozdy
10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Well I found the will to write a review/comparison on the two generations so here it goes:

To begin with, I had my mazda at the dealer to do transmission work and what i got as a courtesy vehicle was a 2011 mazda 3 gt with leather and 800 kms, yes 800 kms - it still smelled brand new :P Ive had it for 3 days, drove it a bit and started comparing the car to my own mazda 3 gt 2009 and have noticed quite some differences:

The new Mazda 3 is a great car, for sure, the one I had was black and it felt and drove really great- would definitely see myself in one further down the road.

Things I liked:

- Leather seats, Ive never liked leather but these seats are just awesome and better bucket seats then my 2009
- the overall feel of the car is solid,
- plenty of space all around,
- and the 5-mode heater for the seats since the 1st gens only have on or off mode.
- Tranny, it was 5-speed automatic, and I have never liked automatic trannsmissions, but this one worked just right, the manual mode didnt take too long to change gears and was quite responsive!
- 6-cd mp3 changer was awesome to have.

Things I didn't like (in comparison to the 2009):

- The fact that you have much less place to put your change, stuff, etc
Gen 1s have a compartment under the HVAC controls, and next to the shifter, and oh! the double elbow-compartment (I dont know if that is how its called but you get the point)
- The screens, buttons and everything everywhere: two screens in the 2nd dash? really? and oh, they are TINY and have different backlights.. Also, the volume dial on the side versus the "tune" dial in the middle. Why and how does it make sense lol
- The cluster itself, yes it is sexy but the missing temperature gauge and digital gas gauge make it seems less usable in comparison to my own Mazda 3, personally I want to know how my engine is doing, whether it is overheating or cold.
- The fact that the car felt heavier, slower and less responsive in concern to steering, Maybe because I have an intake and cat-back on mine, which makes it feel faster?

There is a gray-zone as to the layout and exterior design, but it did start to grow on me and like I mentioned above, I would see myself in one.

In a nutshell, I extensively drove both cars (especially the one I bought :P)
and they are great cars really - I know I didn't talk a lot about mine but it was mostly to discuss the points I mentioned. As for the rest, they are mostly alike: sunroof, cruise control, abs, traction control, 17" rims etc. The only option differences were the leather seats and the 6-disc changer :headbang

This was 2 weeks later and I did this real quick. So if something doesn't sound right, give me a chance :winner

Thoughts, comments and additions are welcome :)

SomeGuy
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
In terms of interior...I also miss the extra storage spaces in the first gen (esp the split top on the armrest and the ashtray spot) but I do like that the new arm rest slides forward and that it's all padded a lot nicer. In terms of comfort it's a definite step up. Also, although the volume/tune dial you get used to quickly, I actually find I change tracks more than I change volume so it sorta makes sense. I still need to look if I want to do something a bit more complex with the stereo but standard bluetooth audio it's great. Since I moved from am 06 GS to a '10 MS3 the performance aspects aren't a fair comparison in my case by a long shot lol. The screens I don't mind, the left screen is nav/trip computer, right screen is climate/stereo. I take it the loaner didn't have the GT-E package so it is a little more mismatched in that case.

For me it's the little extra touches on the new model that just make it a nicer place to be, including the more refined interior, comfortable seats, toys like bluetooth and the keyless entry/push button start...all the nice little features that make owning the car easier.

n00bMeiSter
10-18-2011, 04:24 PM
The new Mazda 3 is a great car, for sure, the one I had was black and it felt and drove really great- would definitely see myself in one further down the road.

Great review, but I don't think the colour of the car changes much in terms of the way it drives lol ;)

Drozdy
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Great review, but I don't think the colour of the car changes much in terms of the way it drives lol ;)
Nah-uh! that sexy black added 23.5 hp! It says so in the handout :P

boyracer
10-18-2011, 10:15 PM
enjoyed the review. So very true about the less space for change.

Kiyomi
10-18-2011, 11:38 PM
u can take my ride out and compare stock 2.0 to modded 2.5. :D

n00bMeiSter
10-18-2011, 11:44 PM

lol

Damn, I wonder how much cwp adds :chuckle

I could have sworn there was more storage space in the 2010's. I guess I'll have to take another one for a test drive :chuckle

113GT
10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
- The cluster itself, yes it is sexy but the missing temperature gauge and digital gas gauge make it seems less usable in comparison to my own Mazda 3, personally I want to know how my engine is doing, whether it is overheating or cold.

on the 2011 models there is a blue engine light to indicate a cold engine, as soon as its up to operating temperature, which is fairly fast, the light goes off. If the engine was overheating a RED engine light comes on.....

i too am coming with experience with a 2004 Mazda 3 GS automatic and the newer models are a nice step up from the last gen. The interior is much nicer and the materials used are of a much higher grade.

I found the steering and handling to be about the same (which is a good thing) as the prev. gen.

The engine is torquier and very smooth with the 2.5 liter vs the 2.3 and the tranny is very quick to shift and shifts like butter.

My prev. car was a 2006 acura csx and the tranny wasnt as smooth compared to the 3's automatic.

All in all, VERY nice car, worth the upgrade ....from the acura as well lol.

The acura csx was a nice car but in the end, a leatherized civic with a de tuned Si engine. The interior of the acura was all hard plastic and creaky and rattled alot. cheap cheap cheeeeap materials. Mazda 3 gt is a huge step up.

i love the projector bi-xenon set up....much brighter than the oem reflector HID lights that came with the csx premium

Kappa
10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
lol

Damn, I wonder how much cwp adds :chuckle

I could have sworn there was more storage space in the 2010's. I guess I'll have to take another one for a test drive :chuckle

-20 for being an ugly color :)

Drozdy
10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
thats just mean... you could really hurt his feelings :P

n00bMeiSter
10-19-2011, 09:59 PM

YOU'RE an ugly colour! :P There I said it. Yeah, that's right.

thats just mean... you could really hurt his feelings :P

Thank you, his words were very mean and hurtful :( *sniffle*

nksharp
12-04-2011, 02:56 AM

I wonder how much faster my red is.

mazda72
12-04-2011, 10:12 AM
The interior is a huge improvement in the 2nd generation IMHO. I just dont like the vertical center stack in the 1st gen, the whole center stack and small display look tacky

krimsalt
12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
i personally like the 3-pod gauges of the 1st gen mazda3 more than the 2-pod gauges, and the look of the older mazda3s are much better IMO. i dont like the mazda3's quirky smile look for the 2nd gen. to me, its quite unattractive. However the drive of the new car is quite fun, and i love having a 6th gear for the manuals! Makes highways less strain on the engine. but for now ill stick to my '07. hopefully mazda makes a better/meaner car in the future for its mazda3s or else is 1st gen for me :P

TheAnswer_03
12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
i personally like the 3-pod gauges of the 1st gen mazda3 more than the 2-pod gauges, and the look of the older mazda3s are much better IMO. i dont like the mazda3's quirky smile look for the 2nd gen. to me, its quite unattractive. However the drive of the new car is quite fun, and i love having a 6th gear for the manuals! Makes highways less strain on the engine. but for now ill stick to my '07. hopefully mazda makes a better/meaner car in the future for its mazda3s or else is 1st gen for me :P

Original post says you own an 2009?

Kiyomi
12-04-2011, 07:28 PM

haha, you dont think that the gen 2 sedans are mean just because of the front?

ROB_MAZDA
01-21-2012, 12:53 AM
If you noticed, they've reduced the quirky smile look to a straighter curve, so no more smiling front end in the new models!

SonicBoy
01-21-2012, 07:28 AM
I miss the mute button on the Gen 1's.

pacmann33
01-21-2012, 08:11 AM
^LOL

boyracer
01-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I miss the mute button on the Gen 1's.

+1,000,000

F#@K yes!!! I miss that mute button so much!

Drozdy
01-21-2012, 11:01 AM
hahah WOW i definitely forgot to put that in my review -MUTE BUTTON for gen1 (best thing ever btw)

Mr Wilson
01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Mute button, the one on the steering wheel?

Aitch
01-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah I miss my mute button. But then I guess auto journalists would have had one more button to complain about on this "confusing" steering wheel.

Mr Wilson
01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
When did they remove it? I have it on both our 08.5' and 2011....

Aitch
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Really? Damn it Mazda........

Mr Wilson
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes sir....love that button!

SonicBoy
01-21-2012, 01:13 PM
When did they remove it? I have it on both our 08.5' and 2011....

You mean this is a 2012 thing? I thought it was a change on all 2nd gens.

boyracer
01-21-2012, 03:07 PM
WTF!! I have a 2010 Speed3 and that mute button is none existent on my steering wheel.

Mr Wilson
01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
It's on ours......granted we have a GX and had the OEM steering controls added at purchase......guess they aren't standard.

boyracer
01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Damn you Mazda!

rukus
01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
the mute button is the second most used button on my entire console. i hate that none of my other vehicles hve one

SonicBoy
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Mazda are you reading this?

zoomahh
01-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I have an 07 and I think I can count on one hand how many times I used it....way I see it, the person calling me can just listen to my music when I talk or take a hike
Mute button, the one on the steering wheel? :P

SonicBoy
01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
The mute was handy if you heard some strange noise or someone honking and you wanted dead silence pronto. Sure you could just hit the knob to turn the unit off but then you'd have to wait for everything to power up. A pain especially if you were on SAT radio.

Drozdy
01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
The mute was handy if you heard some strange noise or someone honking and you wanted dead silence pronto. Sure you could just hit the knob to turn the unit off but then you'd have to wait for everything to power up. A pain especially if you were on SAT radio.

Exactly! perfect usage explanation right there :P

Aitch
01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
So its known as the Mazda-what's-going-wrong-with-my-car-now button?