PDA

View Full Version : Autoblog Skyactive Mazda3 Review!

zmz3
10-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Very interesting read... Finally! Automatic transmission is no longer confused...

Enjoy! Discuss! Share!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/20/2012-mazda3-skyactiv-first-drive-review/

PS. anyone had a chance to drive this yet?

FLIPDADY
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I signed up for the ride and drive through Mazda Canada. I'll post up my feedback. Here's a few shots from one that just arrived.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4ac60987-801d-b13f.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4ac60987-8842-9955.jpg

Booter22
10-20-2011, 05:29 PM
andrew and i may see you there. i think we are going on the 26th at 8 am.

FLIPDADY
10-20-2011, 10:30 PM
andrew and i may see you there. i think we are going on the 26th at 8 am.
Hmm I better check what day I signed up for lol.

Booter22
10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I did the ride and drive yesterday, between the skid pad, the pot holes, the slalom tracks and so on that was set up. wow. the stability control on this vehicle was amazing on the skid pad, the acceleration and how smooth the vehicle drove impressed me very much. it was a nice sounding engine as well. we also drove the honda civic, the hyundai elentra, the jetta, corolla, cruze. and lets just say from them all, the mazda took tops in my book and that has nothing to do with even working for the brand. i felt, drove and looked at every car and feel the mazda put the best into there car. it may not be as flashy as the hyundai, but you cant beat the whole package mazda put together with this vehicle.

Enjoi
10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I did the ride and drive yesterday, between the skid pad, the pot holes, the slalom tracks and so on that was set up. wow. the stability control on this vehicle was amazing on the skid pad, the acceleration and how smooth the vehicle drove impressed me very much. it was a nice sounding engine as well. we also drove the honda civic, the hyundai elentra, the jetta, corolla, cruze. and lets just say from them all, the mazda took tops in my book and that has nothing to do with even working for the brand. i felt, drove and looked at every car and feel the mazda put the best into there car. it may not be as flashy as the hyundai, but you cant beat the whole package mazda put together with this vehicle.

I was there yesterday as well. I agree with everything you said. Especially the ABS Testing and DSC Testing. It really goes to show how DSC ISNT the same on every car. The course really helped me as a person to pass on this information to our consumers in a professional way. Skyactiv isnt just the Engine, theres more to it than that. It`s amazing to see how Mazda really takes their R&D seriously with the consumer in mind.

Pereira11
10-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I was with John at the Ride & Drive and i must also say the Mazda3 with Skyactive definately felt much more composed on the slalom course and through the pot holes and emergency braking then the competition. It gave you a lot more confidence to push harder in the corners then the other vehicles. The Jetta's rear end stepped out under hard braking and the Cruze had such a loose steering feel through the corners that would definately not make it a fun vehicle to drive regularly.

On the skid pad the Mazda shone once again but to be honest the Civic handled the best. The Elantra felt like a much larger vehicle and definately doesn't have the "Zoom Zoom" feeling of the Mazda. I feel the GT version would handle better since it has upgraded tires. The Civic came with Continental Pro Contact tires which gave it the advantage over the Mazda3.

Overall the Mazda3 deliveres much more over its competition in terms of styling, standard options, power, and fuel economy. If i was in the market for a vehicle in this class I would be choosing Mazda (and i dont even drive a Mazda now)

Aitch
10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
For anyone who knows about the auto transmission, does it still come with steering wheel paddle shifters? I had not read before about the combination of a low-speed torque converter and dual-clutch setup before, it is really ingenious!

Enjoi
10-28-2011, 05:44 PM
For anyone who knows about the auto transmission, does it still come with steering wheel paddle shifters? I had not read before about the combination of a low-speed torque converter and dual-clutch setup before, it is really ingenious!

The Mazda 3`s dont come with the Paddle shifters...Only MX-5`s in Auto and RX-8`s in Auto.

TheMAN
10-28-2011, 09:33 PM
it does, just not here... so for all intents and purposes, you're right :)

Enjoi
10-29-2011, 01:49 PM
it does, just not here... so for all intents and purposes, you're right :)

As a stock option? Dont tell me its in Europe! Those guys get everything!!!

Thanks for the correction

TheMAN
10-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I think in europe, definitely japan and some asian countries

Aitch
10-31-2011, 08:12 AM
The Mazda 3`s dont come with the Paddle shifters...Only MX-5`s in Auto and RX-8`s in Auto.

I must have had a brain fart, and for some reason thought the auto 3's had paddle shifters too, not just the manual control via the console shifter.

Aitch
11-09-2011, 09:12 AM
So the more I read about the 2012 Skyactive Mazda3, the more I'm starting to want one. The ONLY thing that bugs me is that it doesn't get some of the features reserved for the GT (dual exhaust, LED tail lights, bi-Xenon headlights). I wish they were at least an upgrade option.

I am also unsure if the 2012 hatches come with side skirts installed, as in 2010-2011. I've always been a fan of the 2010+ models, but this new DSG has me SERIOUSLY interested.

Enjoi
11-09-2011, 04:29 PM
So the more I read about the 2012 Skyactive Mazda3, the more I'm starting to want one. The ONLY thing that bugs me is that it doesn't get some of the features reserved for the GT (dual exhaust, LED tail lights, bi-Xenon headlights). I wish they were at least an upgrade option.

I am also unsure if the 2012 hatches come with side skirts installed, as in 2010-2011. I've always been a fan of the 2010+ models, but this new DSG has me SERIOUSLY interested.

I know what you mean about added features but mazda has to keep that price point low in my opinion. 500 dollars more, and you get a Skyactiv Engine with a 6 speed auto, or 500 less and you get a 2.5L with 5 Speed auto.

And yes, the Sport`s come with the Side Skirts still. =)

Aitch
11-10-2011, 09:29 AM
LOL thank god about the side skirts.

All I'm saying is, personally I'd love the option of a GT-Sky trim. I realize they can't please everyone, because for it to be perfect for me they'd have to lose the leather as well.

Anyway, if I do end up with one I'll just have to keep my eyes out for LED tail lights. HIDs are easy (although I'd love the OEM instead) and dual exhaust can be solved in other ways :)

(For anyone that knows my lust for a GTi, the more I think about it the more I'm concerned it is out of my price range at the moment. Better to put that cash towards other things).

Enjoi
11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
The One thing I`m glad the GT`s now have Bose as a standard feature. It would be definately nice if there were upgrades for the LED Tail-Lights or the HID`s on the GS Luxury Packages but I think price point would be a fail lol. I totally agree that They should have a Skyactiv GT-like car Mazda 3.

Cosmo77
11-12-2011, 12:48 AM
I have recently pdi'd a few SKY cars and I have to say that I think everyone will really enjoy the new automatic transmission. It drives great in full auto and is actually fun to drive in "man-matic"

Both cars I drive were sedans.

Aitch
11-12-2011, 07:17 AM
I have recently pdi'd a few SKY cars and I have to say that I think everyone will really enjoy the new automatic transmission. It drives great in full auto and is actually fun to drive in "man-matic"

Both cars I drive were sedans.

:bana

homieG
11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I am pretty sure every Mazda in the line up will be Skyactiv. Just a matter of time...

It drives amazing though. Love the 6-spd tranny!

Aitch
11-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Jeff didn't have an auto SkyActive for me to drive.... should have one now though! Maybe this week........ :)

Cosmo77
11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm a racer and a tech...but the new Sky auto tranny is awesome...it drives like a G37 auto...Although the egine does not have a lot of "balls" it is super fun to drive.

zmz3
11-14-2011, 02:02 PM
another great review... I am really LIKING the 6spd auto tranny...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-mazda3-skyactiv-first-drive-review.html

Ohh and steering response & feel... truly one of the best in the business... 2012 Elantra/Civic/Corolla/Focus still got some catching up to do... not that much, but noticeable :)

beautiful engineering Mazda :)

Aitch
11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
another great review... I am really LIKING the 6spd auto tranny...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-mazda3-skyactiv-first-drive-review.html

beautiful engineering Mazda :)

Thought I'd read all the good reviews, but......

A new Mechatronic module automatically calibrates the transmission internals to compensate for production tolerances. For example, if it is supposed to effect a gear change in 15 milliseconds, but the sensors diagnose the tolerances are really closer to 16, it will activate 1 millisecond faster.

zmz3
11-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Thought I'd read all the good reviews, but......

Still first gen, first year production... I am sure things improve as you improve the production/manufacturing process :)

at least I sure hope so :)

Driving the 2012+ gen mazda 3 is where you really notice the improvements, and the auto tranny is just... day and night compared to the current 5 spd and previous gen 4spd...

maz06
11-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I sure hope they don't have the Ford dipstick anymore

Enjoi
11-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I sure hope they don't have the Ford dipstick anymore

LOL!!!!!! I dont think its in there anymore