PDA

View Full Version : Calling On All TM3 Members.... HELP

boyracer
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok, to make a long story short:

Sister-in-law getting divorced, mini van being traded in at Car Nation for 2 possible mazda3's (1 for her 1 for the soon to be ex).

Went for a test drive yesterday (2010 Mazda 3 GX velocity red [she loves that colour]). Car did not feel right, suspension seemed a little off. While talking to salesman found out that it was originally a rental (ya, I know :bang). I have a feeling that car nation got this car cause a Mazda Dealership refused to take it on. LOL

Told my sister-in-law to move on and don't look back, I mentioned the possible (& more likely) engine & suspension abuse. I told her that every thing may be ok now, but 2 months down the road what will need replacing. Please chime in with other potential problems that I may have over looked.

The price is about market value, no great deal: $13,999 with about 55,000 km on it. She has about $7000 (her half) for the trade in value. Now they are pressuring her that they will drop the tax. Financially the #'s for bi-weekly payments work for her.

Help me talk her out of it, though she does need a car (more likely they need an answer in the next 2 days), so any feed back ASAP would help.

loki
12-04-2011, 09:06 PM
it was a rental, that's all that you should need to say.

If that doesn't work, then she has no hope, and just let her do whatever she wants haha

peterm15
12-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I personally beat the crap outta rentals.
I even took an impala field driving once.

MPS
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
stay away
and why not contact them ?
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?266-GTA-Fine-Cars-Inc

MPS
12-04-2011, 09:09 PM
i had an altima that i used to shift in to park while driving on the 401

Lockdown
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Run a car proof on it. That should help you out. Every rental car has been to the body shop at least once.

boyracer
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Saw the car proof, they supplied it, nothing major. Still, like every one else, I would drive the sh!t out of a rental, what seems working now may not in 2 weeks

zzz3
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
there are two types of cars that can go anywhere:

1) jeep
2) rental car (with insurance)

lol.

schmat66
12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
do not buy a rental... period

XTOTHEL
12-04-2011, 11:10 PM
there are two types of cars that can go anywhere:

1) jeep
2) rental car (with insurance)

lol.

lol...

cwp_sedan
12-04-2011, 11:11 PM
do not buy a rental... period

Do not buy a rental...period

(wait, was that an echo?)

Yes it was! DO NOT BUY A RENTAL! :)

schmat66
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Do not buy a rental...period

(wait, was that an echo?)

Yes it was! DO NOT BUY A RENTAL! :)

you did that too small

DO NOT BUY A RENTAL

get the point? lol

Eddie81
12-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Like everyone said dont buy...Here is a suggestion nice mazda 3 and its Purple and taken care of it Member Aitch she will fall in love in that :D

greaves82
12-05-2011, 08:03 AM
The minute I hear that it was used for a rental, time to turn around and walk away

Aitch
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Like everyone said dont buy...Here is a suggestion nice mazda 3 and its Purple and taken care of it Member Aitch she will fall in love in that :D

Thanks for the plug! If she wants a standard transmission, mine is the one! :)

Rob23
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
probably the dumbest posts ive ever read.

i had an altima that i used to shift in to park while driving on the 401

MPS
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
so if you call that dumb would you buy a rental ?

Rob23
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
i rented a 2010 impala in the sumer and it was so dangerous to drive i almost refused to pay budget for the weekend i used it. bald tires and horrible breaks and the entire car shook if you took it over 80. put it that way.

i dunno if i would even rent another rental.

peterm15
12-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Would you like to elaborate?

Were here trying to give someone reasons why NOT to buy a rental. Knowing how a car may have been driven is probably the best way to do that.

boyracer
12-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I myself know never to buy a rental (LOL, I feel people are trying to tell me not to buy) . The reason for this post was to gather opinions, but most importantly I needed an arsenal of problems that could arise from buying a rental. In my original post I stated that I had mentioned to my sister-in-law the suspension problems + possible engine problems , but I need more info to persuade her not to go that route. She is being pressured by her soon to be ex to make this deal. She has a 3 year old to boot, so she will need a car ASAP. I'm doing every thing I can to get her to walk away.

Personally the posts by peterm15 & MPS are very helpful, I can use it to show her how these rental's are abused.

@Aitch, I love your 3... I would have been all over that, I had thought about that prior to the post, but alas, she needs an automatic.

I do appreciate the feed back by everyone.

Lockdown
12-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Haha, if the soon to be ex is pressuring her to do the deal, give him the rental and she can take the other one. Has she looked anywhere else or at any other cars? There are hundreds of 3s out there

boyracer
12-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Haha, if the soon to be ex is pressuring her to do the deal, give him the rental and she can take the other one. Has she looked anywhere else or at any other cars? There are hundreds of 3s out there

This is exactly what I'm dealing with. You get asked for imput (as I was) and then everything I said falls on deaf ears, that is why I'm trying to compile a list of problems. Damn frustrating

peterm15
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Engine, tranny, suspension, brakes. ( mainly rear), body ect ect. All these are beat up in a rental and in all would cost more to fix then the car is worth.

And wouldn't a hatch be better for her to look at? With me, my gf, and a dog going to my sises cottage for a weekend is a bitch. The sedan is very small and just doesn't seem feasible with small children.

(Edit this part out if you can when showing her. )

I know the car should be large enough for a mother and child. Just trying to make this easier on the op

boyracer
12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
UPDATE My wife & I were able to talk her sister out of buying the Mazda3 rental.

Thanks to all the TM3 members for all of your input.

peterm15
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I feel useless now.

On a serious note. Good job.

Honestly if she wants a 3 check out good fellows auto. Good prices but crappy service. Of course after looking at sponsors.

boyracer
12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I feel useless now.

On a serious note. Good job.

Honestly if she wants a 3 check out good fellows auto. Good prices but crappy service. Of course after looking at sponsors.

LOL, I always feel useless.

Thanks for the heads up, will check them out as well as the sponsors.... but of course.

Cheers

zoso
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM
A little late but i would like to add a quick joke from Jeff Foxworthy

" Buying a used rental car is kind of like going to a house of ill repute looking for a wife. Anything that's been driven that hard by that many people, you really don't want to put your key in it.
"

boyracer
12-06-2011, 05:16 AM
A little late but i would like to add a quick joke from Jeff Foxworthy

" Buying a used rental car is kind of like going to a house of ill repute looking for a wife. Anything that's been driven that hard by that many people, you really don't want to put your key in it.
"

LOL, could have used that line earlier

Rob23
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
yea sure. anyone who thinks "oh well its not mine i don't care" then your an idiot. its called karma you will get it back one day.
feild driving isn't going to hurt a car very bad but to have that mind set isn't a good thing..

Would you like to elaborate?

Were here trying to give someone reasons why NOT to buy a rental. Knowing how a car may have been driven is probably the best way to do that.

MPS
12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
this is why you pay to beat it
same with whores

kjmckenz
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
same with whores

:chuckle

bbbwood
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I've owned a former rental for four years. Has performed flawlessly - in fact, much better than some newer cars I've owned. Its a 2007 G6 3.5 now with 150k on it (bought it with 30k). I wouldn't say don't buy a rental, just be careful.

loki
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
same with whores

best response. EVER

edit: I do not condone violence against the "working" female population

peterm15
12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
yea sure. anyone who thinks "oh well its not mine i don't care" then your an idiot. its called karma you will get it back one day.
feild driving isn't going to hurt a car very bad but to have that mind set isn't a good thing..

I understand and agree.

To be fair, the rental company screwed me to begin with, ignored my reservation and made me pay
( out of pocket) for an upgrade that I had no choice over. I figured karma on them. There was alot of arguing and insults on their behalf.
As well this was years ago, unless I was forced to I wouldn't do that now a days.

Rob23
12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
same with whores

lol you got me there lol.

Jeff-TheBiz
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't say don't buy a rental, just be careful.

Exactly my thoughts..

I have seen leases returned in worse shape than most rentals..

A rental is inspected everytime it is returned.. and maintenance is performed religiously..

loki
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
the problem with rentals is that you simply do not drive the car the way you drive your own car.

most of the time, its for business use so everything is all paid for, so you're usually pretty heavy with the pedals, probably don't let them get to operating temperature before getting straight on the accelerator, not letting them cool down, etc etc. I'm guilty of driving them a little hard (not too abusive, although I did try to rip a chrysler 300, and a challenger with no success just cuz I hate american cars, but the engines were too small...)

Shawn
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Avoid a rental if you can.
http://www.mustangguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1966-Shelby-for-Hertz-Rental-Car.jpg

zoso
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Avoid a rental if you can.
http://www.mustangguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1966-Shelby-for-Hertz-Rental-Car.jpg

I nearly shed a tear when that blew up in american gangster

boyracer
12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
same with whores

LOL, NICE!

best response. EVER

edit: I do not condone violence against the "working" female population

+1 I second that..... the "best response. EVER" quote. oh... and the other thing too

jmacman12
12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Luckily you managed to avoid the whore of babylon by a narrow margin but what is her current plan? Is she still interested in a mazda?

I'm not sure about her but i know the new 2011 smart car can be leased for 1000$ down and $99 a month for 24 months, this should suffice in between the time that she looks for a new car, works out legal terms, finances and finds a new home!

I mean you can't go wrong with a car under warranty that uses 20$ in gas a month that will only have a running cost of less then 4k over 2 years including the car! This deal should be nation wide, look into it!

Hope this helps!