PDA

View Full Version : Would I be Happy Going from 2009 Mazda 3 GT Sedan to 2012 GS-Sky Sport ?

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I enjoy my 2009 GT for the overall look and 17" alloys, along with the fairly snappy drive. Has anyone been able to drive a 2012 GS by any chance? Apparently they're not available for test drive and I'm up against the end of my lease. If I don't buy out the lease and keep the GT I'm either getting another GT or a GS-Sky (which would require extending the lease on my GT for a month waiting for GS' to arrive at dealers). The dealer is offering some great #s on the GS-Sky but I don't want a downgraded driving experience. They're claiming that the advances in tech the GS-Sky is equivalent to my GT.

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
I also like the BOSE audio in my GT and have noticed no mention of the audio system in any GS literature. Does the sound in GS models suck versus models with BOSE audio?

Jeff-TheBiz
12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I have a GS for test drives.. Who says they arent available.

Also right now the loyalty discount has been doubled to 2%.. a ridiculous reason to not buy out your car..

Let me know if I can help.

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
My dealer said they werent' available for test drives in Ontario anywhere, and said I could extend my current lease for a month for no problem... so they are available!?

Can you clarify: when you say ridculous reason, do you mean *ridiculously good* like I should not buy out and instead take on a new lease or financing? Or do you mean *ridiculously bad* as in it would be silly to let the offer affect my decision? Because the sales guy at my dealer did quote me some nice #s based on the loyalty discount.

I have a GS for test drives.. Who says they arent available.

Also right now the loyalty discount has been doubled to 2%.. a ridiculous reason to not buy out your car..

Let me know if I can help.

Jeff-TheBiz
12-06-2011, 07:18 PM
My dealer said they werent' available for test drives in Ontario anywhere, and said I could extend my current lease for a month for no problem... so they are available!?

Can you clarify: when you say ridculous reason, do you mean *ridiculously good* like I should not buy out and instead take on a new lease or financing? Or do you mean *ridiculously bad* as in it would be silly to let the offer affect my decision? Because the sales guy at my dealer did quote me some nice #s based on the loyalty discount.

Well I have one for a test drive... let me know when you can come.

As for the ridiculous..... DO NOT BUY OUT YOUR CAR!!!. unless it has extremely low kms.. you are losing money. Right now you can get into a better vehicle with a lower lease payment than you had..

By the way... "Your dealer" doesn't need to stay your dealer... you may take your business anywhere you like.

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I thought 15,000 KMs was extremely low?

Jeff-TheBiz
12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I thought 15,000 KMs was extremely low?

You said nothing about it here.. but I finally found your other thread.

if that is what you have on it.. then buy it..

Why did you lease when you only planned to put on that kind of kms??

SonicBoy
12-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I was in the same position as you a few months back.

If anyone is going to give you good advice... it's gonna be Jeff.

My opinion would be get a 2012 and return the 2009.

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Right, sorry got the threads crossed.

I didn't quite plan to drive so little. I returned my 2006 Mazda3 GT with just over 40,000KM on it. This car has pretty much only ever been driven to the grocery store, the movies, and to my family members' houses. Sometimes I think it would be more cost effective to use cabs, but I do like the idea of being able to drive wherever I want whenever I want. Even if I don't.

Jeff do you have an opinion on 2012 GS-Sky vs 2009 GT? Specifically with regard to:

1. Driving experience
2. Aesthetics
3. Sound system

You said nothing about it here.. but I finally found your other thread.

if that is what you have on it.. then buy it..

Why did you lease when you only planned to put on that kind of kms??

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I ask about the GS-Sky, but that's actually my third option. Second, and preferred option after buyout is to lease a new 2012 GT.

Being that I don't drive all that much I'm not too concerned with mileage, no matter how big the purported jump. I have really liked my two GTs so far although honestly I felt like the 2006 had more torque or at least a beefier low end and also to me the 2006 felt cooler. So I'm not all that attached to my 2009 and the concept of getting into a 2012 with lower payments is tempting.

Also note I have no experience or patience with the concept of selling my belongings. So the potential for a couple $K profit doesn't hold much appeal to me when there's work, risk, and socialization/time obligation/paperwork etc attached. Never in my life have I sold something I owned except for comic books, lol.

Jeff-TheBiz
12-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Right, sorry got the threads crossed.

I didn't quite plan to drive so little. I returned my 2006 Mazda3 GT with just over 40,000KM on it. This car has pretty much only ever been driven to the grocery store, the movies, and to my family members' houses. Sometimes I think it would be more cost effective to use cabs, but I do like the idea of being able to drive wherever I want whenever I want. Even if I don't.

Jeff do you have an opinion on 2012 GS-Sky vs 2009 GT? Specifically with regard to:

1. Driving experience
2. Aesthetics
3. Sound system

If you are only putting 15K on in 3yrs.. none of these matter really..

I put 30K on my car a yr.. I am on my third Mazda3 and currently I am in a 2010 GTE

Driving experience.. get the GT.. the little bit of HP goes a long way.
Aestetics.. They all look about the same, and what ever you don't like.. you can change
Sound System.. My 2005 was stock, my 2008 was stock GS) and the 2010 has the Bose.. I see very little difference.

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I also like the concept of being under full warranty. I am convincing myself to go for a lease here, haha.

ballpoint
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Jeff thanks for your input. Based on my intention to drive more in the next couple years, your input, some math, and most significantly the warranty thing I just mentioned, I'm now strongly leaning towards a new lease on a 2012 GT.

Jeff-TheBiz
12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Jeff thanks for your input. Based on my intention to drive more in the next couple years, your input, some math, and most significantly the warranty thing I just mentioned, I'm now strongly leaning towards a new lease on a 2012 GT.

Then you really need to call me..

vinnierap
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Then you really need to call me..

+1... It sounds like your current dealership doesnt have a clue. Talk to Jeff, as a long time member here mi sure he will steer you in the right direction.

ballpoint
12-07-2011, 12:35 PM
In defense of my dealer I am asking for a test-drive of GS-Sky manual transmission and I'm pretty sure those aren't expected to arrive at dealerships until just before Xmas.

JeremyW
12-07-2011, 04:01 PM
This is also what I was told by another Dealership over the phone (Scarboro Mazda). I'd also love to get into a GS-Sky Hatchback manual. Any updates on this would be much appreciated. Hoping that christmas comes early for ballpoint and myself.

krimsalt
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
This is also what I was told by another Dealership over the phone (Scarboro Mazda). I'd also love to get into a GS-Sky Hatchback manual. Any updates on this would be much appreciated. Hoping that christmas comes early for ballpoint and myself.

Scarboro mazda a very good dealership for those who would like to get a car with a hidden history, and a horrible service department. they are nothing but tricks behind smiles, and shady. My honest advice is do not go to scarboro mazda. they tried to sly me out of a safety-warantee when they safetied a car with horrible wheel bearings. stay away from scarboro!

ballpoint
12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
In case anyone's curious, I have gone with a lease on a 2012 M3 GT sedan. The test drive showed me the 2012 has got more kick, especially in 4th gear when merging onto the highway. It also has 6 gears and there have been a few times I wanted another gear on the highway in particular. I was also impressed with the bluetooth integration and the quality of the leather seats (2009 has cloth).

Almost as important, basically all the paperwork is now over with apart from some phone calls. To say paperwork gives me agida is putting it mildly.

ballpoint
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
oh and I did test-drive an automatic GS-Sky... the powerline is kinda shuddery/shaky was my first impression. It's a nice little car though and if I weren't such a low-mileage guy I'd probably consider it strongly. The tiptronic feature on the auto transmission works very well. It will only let you go up or down 1 gear though (as opposed to say an Audi which will let you quickly tap through two gears).

boyracer
12-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Enjoy the new ride

surfguy17
12-10-2011, 09:07 AM
congrads man. hope the 2012 is good for u :)

ottoyu34
12-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Great choice on the GT! Did you get it from Jeff?

Jeff-TheBiz
12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Great choice on the GT! Did you get it from Jeff?

NOPE!

:bang