PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs

mazdaspeedemon3
12-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey guys i just purchased my 2012 Mazdaspeed3 with tech pkg its Velocity Red the guy at the dealership said it was the only red 2012 speed in canada right now... its been shipped from japan and is in halifax right now so ive got to wait a week or two :(

the first thing im looking at doing is coilovers or lowering springs, i go snowboarding a lot and need some advice as to which would be a better bang for my buck for the winter and everyday use... I dont think ill be taking it on the track so they dont have to be racing quality. with lowering springs will i have to purchase new shocks or will the factory ones be fine? how do the costs compare between the springs and coilovers? any information or experiances that youve had will help im sure

thanks guys n gals! :D

loki
12-31-2011, 03:00 PM
if you go snowboarding alot, then you're driving places with alot of snow I take it, so you wouldn't want to be crazy low.

don't put on lowering springs without upgrading the shocks. the ride quality is terrible. I had pro-kits on my speed3 with stock shocks and absolutely hated it, and most things don't bother me, but since installing my koni sports (yellows) I enjoy driving my car again.

I'd say go springs and shocks route vs coils and that's just my opinion.

first thing you should do is search, there's a shit ton of info on this very question.

stevenma188
12-31-2011, 03:02 PM
This topic has been covered numerous times. Please learn to search:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?58112-Coilover-VS-Shocks-Springs-upgrade&highlight=coilover

Kiyomi
12-31-2011, 03:44 PM
you say its not going on the track right now, but thats before you start modding a speed 3. :D

electronprawn
02-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Springs would be the most cost effective and work during the winters no problems.
If youre going to mod later and upgrade to wheels, most people will usually want to lower more.
Coils are substantially more, have a firmer ride and are usually height and damper adjustable depending on make and model you purchase.

Ask youself how much adjustability you need, how often you going ti use it, willing to sacrifice ride quality and how much dough you want to spend.

My 2¢

SomeGuy
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Why bother lowering? Just stick with stock, on the second gen's the stock suspension is plenty for handling for daily driving. Maybe add a rear sway bar to help deal with the annoying understeer.

Hyperion
02-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Springs would be the most cost effective and work during the winters no problems.
If youre going to mod later and upgrade to wheels, most people will usually want to lower more.
Coils are substantially more, have a firmer ride and are usually height and damper adjustable depending on make and model you purchase.

Ask youself how much adjustability you need, how often you going ti use it, willing to sacrifice ride quality and how much dough you want to spend.

My 2¢
Although you typed that out nicely, you bumped a 2 year old post.

Why bother lowering? Just stick with stock, on the second gen's the stock suspension is plenty for handling for daily driving. Maybe add a rear sway bar to help deal with the annoying understeer.

You are sorely mistaken, even prokits make a huge difference. I hate being on stock suspension are being low.

SomeGuy
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Although you typed that out nicely, you bumped a 2 year old post.

You are sorely mistaken, even prokits make a huge difference. I hate being on stock suspension are being low.

LooooL I didn't notice it was an old bump, that's funny.

And I'm not mistaken, driving around on public roads there isn't a single situation where you'll be limited by the stock suspension.